Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Would love Aribo to stay on at Rangers as he was instrumental for us last season.
If he chose to move on I think we have had our monies worth out of him although it would be fantastic to also cash in too.

Very disappointing if the £6m up front is true. I can only assume Southampton have stitched us up because of a flaw in the wording around the release clause. Only alternative being Joe saying Southampton were the only club he was interested in and forcing us to stick or twist. Which might be the more likely issue. Otherwise, Rangers would surely have simply waited for one of the other interested clubs to put in a better offer. As I’ve often stated, virtually all the power is with the player these days.

Still, ‘player trading’, eh? I’m sure some will be happy.:rolleyes:

No-one knows the fee right now.

Player trading is better than losing a player of Aribo's ability for £0.

Southampton about to pay:
£6m+ for a full international who just scored in a Euro final
£12m for an 18 year old who has made 2 senior appearances in his life

I’m of the impression we will be taking 6m and add ons in favour of negotiating a sell on percentage, as I don’t think that’s possible if he is sold through the release clause.

I’d rather have the cash up front.

Big fan of his but he will have a ceiling and I don’t necessarily see him moving on from a Southampton level club for considerably more money.

Fabrizio Romano

3h ·

Taken from his fb page, clearly states 10.
After Romeo Lavia deal completed, Southampton are closing on Joe Aribo deal. It's more than advanced with £10m fee to be agreed with Rangers very soon, player keen as The Athletic reported.
⚪️
1f534.png
#SaintsFC

Lavia joins on £12m fee from Man City, medical done yesterday.

If we put release clauses into player contracts, then from now on, the standard should be current Scottish record sale £m + £1m. I get we're at a different stage of stability now than we were in 2019, however that supposed £10m release clause is what EPL sides we're paying for the top talent in Scotland 16 or so years ago.

Player x doesn't reach those heights - fine, we sell for whatever we can get. Or he signs a new deal. Or he runs his contract down.
Player x does achieve greatness - we sell for a minimum of a new Scottish record + a modest £1m for an amount that is still a pittance for your average EPL (or whatever) financial heavyweight.

If he goes, I wish Joe all the luck in the world and hope he and his new club do well, however that £10m fee would make you greet.

Yes that is how it works in the EPL, they will pay a premium for good youngsters who might develop into great players as they have more time to mould them with their own coaches.

EPL scouts are very data driven in the way they sign older players who are 25+, they said in that recent Athletic article that they only value data from top European leagues, so when they consider signing our players the lack of data is a problem because they don't consider the Scottish Premiership a good league.

When you look at all the guys the dhims have sold for big money they are all about the 18-23 age range.

If we put release clauses into player contracts, then from now on, the standard should be current Scottish record sale £m + £1m.

That would 100% push down the ceiling level of talent we could sign TBH.

Agents would be telling us to GTF if we asked that

Was about to ask ‘is this just paper talk?’ until poster above cited Romano’s tweet/fb posts.

Disappointed to say the least. He’s a player we should be looking to keep and is worth considerably more than the quoted figures. Don’t know about anyone else, but I would take this as a sign that the management are obviously going to persevere with Scott Wright and intend to give Alec Lowry more game time.

Monies raised will be partly spent on Colak and presumably a new midfielder.

6 million up front is a terrible bit of business on our part if that was true
Do keep in mind that our wishes are but one part of the deal. Much depends on the player (does he wants to go and thus forces our hand somewhat?), length of contract, league he plays in and what the buying club wants to pay. Our, i.e. the fans` wishful thinking, is of no consequence. And I for one do assume that Wilson and Co. try to get the best deal for the club from what he has on the table (and the players wants to go).

Yes that is how it works in the EPL, they will pay a premium for good youngsters who might develop into great players as they have more time to mould them with their own coaches.

EPL scouts are very data driven in the way they sign older players who are 25+, they said in that recent Athletic article that they only value data from top European leagues, so when they consider signing our players the lack of data is a problem because they don't consider the Scottish Premiership a good league.

When you look at all the guys the dhims have sold for big money they are all about the 18-23 age range.
I know that comparing SPL to EPL prices is banging my head against the wall but even looking at Fulham about to happily chuck £10m to sign that guy Pereira from Man Utd. He's never shown much of anything in his appearances for them and has been out on loan the last few seasons yet the £10m is like a low risk punt. Compare to Aribo who's stock is probably as high as it can be yet Southampton are able to seemingly negotiate his already minimal price down.

Leave your phone numbers here guys and I will personally message you with the infinite details and projected funding plan of the Joe Aribo transfer, I can see most of you are getting rather irate.

Regards

Ross Wilson.

Im disgusted by Aribo if he himself does leave for such a shit amount. We have made his name and he himself has said for wks now he doesnt want to leave. He could sign a new contract and he would be putting himself in the shop window again via league & European peformances and if he is good enough he could leave in the next transfer window.

Im disgusted by Aribo if he himself does leave for such a shit amount. We have made his name and he himself has said for wks now he doesnt want to leave. He could sign a new contract and he would be putting himself in the shop window again via league & European peformances and if he is good enough he could leave in the next transfer window.
What a terrible take man honestly.

Highly doubt he knows the exact figures, far to many getting there knickers in a twist about the 6m figure quoted.

Jonny McFarlane
Joe Aribo’s exit from Rangers looming. The clubs are close to agreeing a £10m package plus a significant sell-on. For a £300k signing with a year left on his contract this surely represents a really solid piece of business.
Rangers fan media answering the call of the David Graham claxon.

Will get another wee soundbite about how the club did x, y and z being peddled by the clubs pr external team.

Aribo has been an outstanding signing for us and he deserves his chance at playing in the EPL. He's 26 this summer and after three years with us for him it'll be a good time to move on. IF the deal is shit then that's on Wilson and the board.

My lasting memories of Joe Aribo will always be bittersweet because I cannot get that goal in Seville out my mind whenever I hear or read his name.

Perhaps the wildest take in a thread full of wild takes.

Perhaps the wildest take in a thread full of wild takes.
Why? Was he playing in Europe with Charlton? Was his name as known as its known now? I hadnt heard of him. Its also not "wild" to expect more for a player thats made it to a European final. Sorry for expecting more from Aribo and more cash for him! £6m dor him insulting

Why? Was he playing in Europe with Charlton? Was his name as known as its known now? I hadnt heard of him. Its also not "wild" to expect more for a player thats made it to a European final. Sorry for expecting more from Aribo and more cash for him! £6m dor him insulting
Aye mate, no one knew he was, oh wai...

Southampton have just signed a Man City youth player for £12m so, its not mad to expect more from Aribo and more cash for him. Celtic also got £ 10m from Forster from Southampton and £12m for Wanyama again from Southhampton. You may be happy with basically giving players away but id expect more

Last edited:
Perhaps we should subcontract our transfer activity to the scum and let their commercial people punt him on for us. They seem to get gazillions for bang average duds yet we happily bend over and gift away our assets for bargain basement sums.

*this probably doesn’t bear close examination or argument. I’m just frustrated at the paltry sums our players seem to be associated with.

Aribo doesn’t decide what his transfer fee is.

Southampton have just signed a Man City youth player for £12m so, its not mad to expect more from Aribo and more cash for him. Celtic also got £ 10m from Forster from Southampton and £12m for Wanyama again from Southhampton. You may ve happy with basically giving players away but id expect more
If he has a release clause negotiated into his contract then there’s nothing we can do. There’s no point jumping up and down saying it’s unfair and that this player went for x amount, so we should be due y amount. That’s not how it works.

Was about to ask ‘is this just paper talk?’ until poster above cited Romano’s tweet/fb posts.

Disappointed to say the least. He’s a player we should be looking to keep and is worth considerably more than the quoted figures. Don’t know about anyone else, but I would take this as a sign that the management are obviously going to persevere with Scott Wright and intend to give Alec Lowry more game time.

Monies raised will be partly spent on Colak and presumably a new midfielder.
Colaks fee has been agreed for a week .

So if Rangers accept £6m for him and he decides to leave then you vent your spleen at Aribo? That’s some screwed up logic you’ve got going there.
"Vent your spleen"! "Scewed up logic" ? For expecting us to make a much bigger return on a player like Aribo ? Its just an opinion.

If there is a release clause in his Rangers contract, then he does.
…and without that release clause he’d have probably been playing down South for the last three seasons.

Aribo has been good for rangers
Rangers have been good for Aribo

Is it disappointing the fee? Yes
Should rangers have altered his contract 12 months ago? Possibly

He will certainly go with well wishes from 99% of the support.

£6m is farcical. For a player who played the most games in world football this season, can play about 5 positions comfortably, scored in a EL final and is about to turn 26 years old. Regardless of contract situation, he has a 10m release clause, surely the club could try and work that out. If the fee really is 6m then those involved in this deal should be gone.
Ye the club just want to sell him for less.

There are more parts to a deal than demanding we get what we want.

I would too.

It would make no sense what so ever to let him go for that fee, why would we not wait for other bids too?

I mean Southampton are a club who will never again win anything, he would be playing a season or two for a team that are utterly shit tbh.
Where if he fails to perform in a team that are garbage, he won’t get a move up the ladder.

Risky move imo.
Risky move? You agree with keeping him and letting him go for nowt?

Maybe Aribo wants to go, so we could have no fee and a pissed of player. That’s the way to do it.

"Vent your spleen"! "Scewed up logic" ? For expecting us to make a much bigger return on a player like Aribo ? Its just an opinion.
I would expect us to get a much bigger return that £6m but I wouldn’t be “disgusted” at Aribo, it would be the board I’d be pissed off at for accepting a less than what he is worth.

The full international has a release clause that has been met for us.

No idea why the £12m player is relevant as english youth players go for large values but we dont use that as a barometer

Back