Joe Aribo tipped for Nigeria stardom as Rangers star is hailed as 'exceptional'

BlueMeanie

The midfielder has impressed since making his Nigeria debut and John Fashunu is backing him to go far.

Rangers star Joe Aribo is being tipped to become Nigeria's best player in a generation.
The Ibrox midfielder has impressed during his appearances for the Super Eagles since making his debut earlier this season.
He's currently with the national team preparing for an African Cup of Nations qualifier against Lesotho.
And so impressive has his performances been for the Super Eagles that former Wimbledon and England striker John Fashanu, who was a director of the Nigerian FA, presents Nigerian game show TV programmes and has even acted in the Nigerian film industry, believes they have found a gem by persuading Aribo to play for the African nation.

He said: "Aribo is going to be a very important player for Nigeria.
"He is going to be one of our key players for years. He's been doing very well for Rangers and has been exceptional since his debut for Nigeria.

"Joe is going to be targeted by the opposition because they know what he can do. It's important he is used properly by us because he's vital for the team."
And Fashanu's comments were echoed by Lesotho manager Thabo Senong, who pinpointed Aribo as Nigeria's danger man.
He said: "Nigeria have very strong and skillful players.
"Joe Aribo is one of them. He has been doing well at his club and everyone knows he is a very dangerous player. He's one we have to watch."
Aribo was signed by Steven Gerrard in the summer after he left Charlton and he got his first league goal against Livingston last week.

Hopefully kicks back on after the international break.

Looked good in the lead up.

I really like the idea of him driving from the centre of the park. Realistically, he’s fighting it out with Kamara.

I suspect away from home we see Kamara and home we’ll see more of Aribo.

His touch is phenomenal. Also one of few who look just as good on astro.

I really like the idea of him driving from the centre of the park. Realistically, he’s fighting it out with Kamara.

probably looking into this too much but him and kamara have grown up consistently playing fives on astro (random story) with there mate zaha and a couple of others , could play a part

That goal against Brazil alone showed what he is made of and should have made the mhedia up here start praising him to the highest.

We all know that if he was playing for the paedos they would be taking about £15M or £20M transfer fees!

We don't need the Scottish media to big up our players going forward.
We have Stevie G, who has more following and coverage than the entire Scottish media combined, and he's underselling no one.
Was a master stroke bringing Gerrard in. We'll make 10s of millions if and when we need to sell guys like Aribo, who would not be here without SG's presence.

The boards aim here is clear. Morelos, Kamara, Aribo, Barisic...players that are long term investments. If we ever got a player into the English national side he’d be worth his weight in gold.
I know that was probably a bit tongue in cheek but was thinking there that Kent is probably our best English prospect. Then thought about all the players who would be in front of him in the queue.

Honestly think that if England were ever struggling to fill a position they'd look at inexperienced premiership youngsters or championship players before ever looking up here which is a bit disappointing.

On aribo, i don't think he's been poor but probably taken longer to hit the expected heights for us. If we can get him playing like he does for Nigeria then we'll be on to something big.

probably looking into this too much but him and kamara have grown up consistently playing fives on astro (random story) with there mate zaha and a couple of others , could play a part

I think we’ll see more and more of them being comfortable.

It’s the norm for kids growing up now.

Jack et al are probably the last of the bunch who would have been raised on grass.

Fashunu himself was a decent player and will have seen more than his fair share of great Nigerian players coming through. Not that I need him to tell me, but that’s a great testimony coming from him.

I was out at a resort in Tucson last month and the taxi driver from the airport was Nigerian. They had just beaten Togo the weekend before and he was raving about Aribo. “Going to be a star” he said. So there’s both ends of the spectrum saying the same thing. Who am I to argue.

Keep the good times rolling.

I think we’ll see more and more of them being comfortable.

It’s the norm for kids growing up now.

Jack et al are probably the last of the bunch who would have been raised on grass.
being 20 mate , i noticed a change when i got to 14/15 of we were playing less on grass. i much prefer grass albeit parks are smaller

astro
pros - games were usually on and had more time on the ball
cons - played a part in every injury i got forcing me to retire at 17/18 and most people can look good when they have time on the ball.

Fashunu himself was a decent player and will have seen more than his fair share of great Nigerian players coming through. Not that I need him to tell me, but that’s a great testimony coming from him.

I was out at a resort in Tucson last month and the taxi driver from the airport was Nigerian. They had just beaten Togo the weekend before and he was raving about Aribo. “Going to be a star” he said. So there’s both ends of the spectrum saying the same thing. Who am I to argue.

Did you tell him you were a Bear as soon as you opened the door?

Haha, I've had a good few chats with the Nigerian taxi drivers over here about the football.
Used to be Aluko, now we've got Aribo, boy's going to be a star.

It is good to have our players named in the press and the media, it may well increase their value in time, but let us not forget who runs these platforms in our country, a whole lot of hassle at a youth game at Ibrox and not a word of condemnation from any of them, still I'm glad young Joe done well in his game.

The boards aim here is clear. Morelos, Kamara, Aribo, Barisic...players that are long term investments. If we ever got a player into the English national side he’d be worth his weight in gold.
Aribo might have been that player.
I rate Joe and think he could have made it into the England set-up given time and more exposure at the top level for Rangers.
However, he has decided to opt for Nigeria and I respect his decision.
I am positive he will be a star nonetheless and Nigeria are a great platform at international level in any case.

Last edited:

I reckon we may see Aribo away from home more often. Thinking about all his better performances, they've tended to be away from Ibrox.

We seem to have slightly stepped him back in the bigger matches of late and started Kamara in his place.

I reckon we may see Aribo away from home more often. Thinking about all his better performances, they've tended to be away from Ibrox.

We seem to have slightly stepped him back in the bigger matches of late and started Kamara in his place.

I reckon for the Cup Final, we’ll go Kamara, Davis and Jack.

Be played like Porto away, I think.

Gerrard didn’t help him in the first OF, but hopefully it served as a timely reminder that you have to battle first, then play in those games.

It’s a good point though.
We used to credit the skills of players from South America in particular to the surfaces they played on and the need for instant control.
Same here when previous generations, mine back, played on the streets avoiding kerbs, cars and people.

Ross County and Livingstone he was allowed to go much further forward, with Kamara dropping into the left back position when Barisic bombed forward, instead of Aribo. No surprise he impacted the game a lot more then.

Players starring for Nigeria
No.9 playing for Colombia
Left back playing for Croatia
Midfielder going to Euros with Finland
Another midfielder Captaining Canada
Potentially another going with NI to Euros.

Had you told me that in 2012 I would have laughed.

should mention as well that it’s probably the best Canadian side ever

He's superb, and he's being managed perfectly too. Our gaffer knows how much of a talent this boy is.

We are lucky to have such options in midfield

I’m inclined to agree with this.

I know some don’t like his sometimes lazy looking gate, but his burst of pace is superb and he has more than one or two decent tricks in his locker. He can beat a man and he’s now being encouraged to let rip if he has a chance. Let’s not forget he’s still young and will only get better.

I think we are managing him really well and I also think he’s another one who will eventually leave for tens of millions, not single figure millions I’m serious

anyone got bookies with FGS in this game
hills and 365 dont have any scorers markets ? would like to back him

you would think they were playing in Kilmarnock apart from the sunshine ,the pitch is a f*cken disgrace 1-1 after 25 mins

Lost BEIN Sports with AT&T Direct TV or U-Verse, who's your provider?
Off to the golf course in any casae, weather's too good !
I’ve got uverse too but I have an online subscription ( trial) with fubotv for a week. Won’t be keeping it.

I’m off myself just now to the golf too. Small world.

Used in the correct manner and with the coaching expertise available to him he could become a top player for us.

cage football in inter city London is often referred to as his grounding

Back