Joe Aribo tonight.

Jan Wyck

I think I can cash in enough currency with my fellow FF'rs and say that I have never posted a negative about a Rangers player, and I'm not about to start. In fact I hope this is seen as positive thread. My previous posts attest to my admiration of the player.
Using Aribo as a deep lying/covering midfield player or tying him down to tactical system is a chronic waste of his talents. His mercurial off the cuff talents should be given freedom and used in the last third of the park. He will pull defenders and their system apart. He looked lost tonight.
Walter Smith told the newly signed Brian Laudrup "get on the ball, we have plenty of defenders". We should afford Joe Aribo the same licence.

He should be given the role Lampard had under Mourinho not the role Wijnaldum has at Liverpool.

However we have a style and he has to get his best out of himself within it.

He does need to learn when to release the ball and move on, or have a shot at goal.
He should definitely be the more advanced of the midfield three, probably didn’t help that we could barely string two passes together for an hour.

I think I can cash in enough currency with my fellow FF'rs and say that I have never posted a negative about a Rangers player, and I'm not about to start. In fact I hope this is seen as positive thread. My previous posts attest to my admiration of the player.
Using Aribo as a deep lying/covering midfield player or tying him down to tactical system is a chronic waste of his talents. His mercurial off the cuff talents should be given freedom and used in the last third of the park. He will pull defenders and their system apart. He looked lost tonight.
Walter Smith told the newly signed Brian Laudrup "get on the ball, we have plenty of defenders". We should afford Joe Aribo the same licence.

He played the same role tonight as he did on Saturday, when he was close to being our best player. He simply played poorly tonight against a far higher standard of opposition. I don’t put it down to the formation or where he played.

I'm getting old and can barely remember what happened yesterday let alone last year, but I seem to remember his best spell last season being when he played towards the right of the front three (in the run up to New Year, but correct me if I'm talking bollox). He definitely looked better tonight when stationed a bit further forward in the second half.

Anyway, great player for sure, just need to work out how to get the best out of him.

He played the same role tonight as he did on Saturday, when he was close to being our best player. He simply played poorly tonight against a far higher standard of opposition. I don’t put it down to the formation or where he played.

Agree to disagree VB. He was deployed in a more advanced position on Saturday but the quality of the opposition is a valid point.
If I was an opposition defender I'd be happy to see him foraging for possession in his own half of the park.

It's a team game at the end of the day. There's only a handful of players in history who could win a game by themselves. I thought Aribo did OK tonight, but he needs others on his wavelength to make the work he does effective. Thought the same about Kent tonight, there were a couple of little flicks that made him look stupid because others didn't read them.
Hopefully we go out and make a statement on Sunday and really get this season going.

was let down by his attacking team mates tonight imo. Thought him, Borna, Helander and Goldson done well considering nothing would stick up top

Should you not just be on Football Manager, or sumfing where all the other experts are?

Maybe you should wind yer neck in and not reply to people like a dick, if you cannot put across a valid constructive response.

He played a Lampard role on Saturday and during preseason of having the license to get forward and make room for others.

Tonight it was clear Gerrard went back to the Liverpool textbook and gave him Gini’s role of staying extremely central.

Oh btw I’m not a fm fanboy I’m a licensed coach!

I like Aribo, but sometimes I feel as if Gerrard doesn't know how to get the best from him.

Needs better players beside him in midfield. A good experienced player who has played Euro and international football.. Not someone who is finished or on the decline though. Someone in the 27-30 years old mark that he can learn from.

Aribo was left unsupported by our powderpuff midfield. Really felt sorry for him. Anytime he had the ball he had 3 Germans round him with 2 others waiting to move in.

Aribo was great at beating 2-3 players in tight positions tonight it was that 4th player he tried to beat that was his only downfall - he needs to stop trying to do it all alone and remember his teammates

can we please stop talking about our midfielders tonight, yes they all looked not very good, but what do people actually expect?? That midfield of Leverkusen is amazing. I genuinely don’t understand what people want from this team at this level, they are about to sell a player for more money than our whole club is worth combined probably..

Once we went 4231 he looked a lot more dangerous.

It’s still early days for him though. In the long run I don’t think it will harm him playing in a few different roles, in terms of his overall development and understanding of the game.

It was a bug bear of mine last season that Aribo was often receiving the ball 20/30 yards from where he's best with it. Regardless of his individual role within our team or the specifics of how we line up, I think it is imperative we find a way to get him the ball much closer to goal where his talents are best utilised.

I’m my opinion we could do with just one of Davis, jack or kamara playing domestically, maybe even use the money we were going to use on Zungu to get a player of quality for that position since as much as I love the 3 mentioned, it’s probably the area of the team we should improve next

He was exposed tonight, due to the Cali relationship of the rest of our midfield vs the calibration of theirs, add to that Morelos not providing any outlet to us to reshape and group....it made for tough watching!

You realise we were playing a team several levels above our own last night yeah?

Tactically everyone had a job to do.

Maybe you should wind yer neck in and not reply to people like a dick, if you cannot put across a valid constructive response.

He played a Lampard role on Saturday and during preseason of having the license to get forward and make room for others.

Tonight it was clear Gerrard went back to the Liverpool textbook and gave him Gini’s role of staying extremely central.

Oh btw I’m not a fm fanboy I’m a licensed coach!
Gives you, what, exactly?
More knowledge than?

Agreed its not the position he looks most dangerous in but its also part of the learning curve for him. Adapting to different positions and roles within the team is going to be essential.

can we please stop talking about our midfielders tonight, yes they all looked not very good, but what do people actually expect?? That midfield of Leverkusen is amazing. I genuinely don’t understand what people want from this team at this level, they are about to sell a player for more money than our whole club is worth combined probably..
That's rich coming from you.
All those words dumped upon us with only 3 capital letters between them all.

Not just Aribo but Tav and Kent also, when you play against quality defenders the little shimmy/trick that will get you 100% success rate in Scotland will not always work against these guys, i think Joe Aribo is a top young player and will make us some amazing money when he continues to improve,

The difference from the start to the end of the game shows he is wasted playing further back in a more defensive role. He belongs further up the pitch where he is part of the attack.

I do think he has a good chance of being our best player this season if he does play further forward

He was let’s down by husband team mates tonight. At one point he got the ball on the left hand side he driven us forward Andy topknot on a player or two, he kept looking for a pass but no one showed. He ended up doing brilliantly fighting off 4 players showing great strength before he eventually lost the ballot.

It wasn’t his best game, however I feel most of that wasn’t. Durban to husband team mates. Jacob and Davis in midfield were horrible, we need to replace them.

So my phone is buggered and does not press the right buttons, this makes typing on it very tricky....I'm going to leave this without editing though as i'm pissing myself at how it auto corrected this one.

Basically I was saying Aribo is good, He needed help and Jack and Davis are not good enough...

Last edited:
What a player, could keep a beachball off of you in a phone box.

I am about 1% concerned that his flexibility means that he’s not properly nailed one single position but hopefully that’s what this season does for him.

Can he be a proper box to box player, is he more likely to a Lampard or more like a number ten? Intrigued to see how he does.

We were pushed back for a lot of the game which doesn't help ether him or the rest of our forwards.

Gives you, what, exactly?
More knowledge than?

What did I say or when did I make that exact claim of knowledge?

He tried to make a claim of my interpretation of the game is based on a game, when in fact as I’ve discuss before on here I’ve played the game up to reserve level before injury and now have coaching badges.

I would hope that the fact that I’ve been in the footballing system I know a little and that I’ve did the work earn my badges, that I understand tactics, formations and instructions.

As I’ve put across Aribo all pre season and against Aberdeen was given license to get out of the three and get at the box to support the forward three. This is something Lampard mastered.

Last night he was far too glued to the midfield three and offered glimpses of could if allowed he could draw out defenders and put them on edge with his close control and foot work.

Doesn’t help when the 2 players in midfield with him don’t want to get the head up and play.

Jack and Davis just rolled the ball back to the centre backs the whole game, they took no responsibility at all.

That, or the first time square pass out to the fullbacks.

We simply can’t cope with teams closing us down and it doesn’t look like it’s been worked on at all based on last night’s game.

You do need to take fitness, opposition and the 33 degrees heat into consideration though.

Thought he made a few nervy mistakes early, which he took a while to shake off, then came onto a game. At one point I thought he was pulling off another Braga wonder goal but wasn't to be. Wasn't the worst out there tonight.

He did make a few mistakes early on but what shows the man he is was his determination not to let that affect him and he kept going. Bayer identified him though as someone to watch - Aribo would dribble past one, then two then come up against three and four. They were on to him and what he can do and clustered around him anytime he had the ball.

I really felt sorry for him tonight getting played so far back, he has been great in pre season further forward.

I think he ended up that far back as Davis and Jack were doing their usual and sitting 25 yards out about two feet away from the centre halfs.

That sort of thing just drags our entire attacking line deeper as they are forced to get closer to receive the ball.

We need a real CM who can take the ball from the centre halfs and drive everyone up the park.

Back