Joe Aribo

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has ability that cannot be denied.

But he’s not showing it consistently enough to be deemed a first team starter when the whole squad is available. A guy of his talent should be one of the first names on the team sheet but he’s not at that level yet.

He’s still young and a very capable squad player for the time being. He started the season on fire before his injury as well, pity he lost that momentum.

I really hope he can kick on and realise his full potential.

I'm going as far to say, not only the OP but anyone liking his post should be banned.
While I disagree with that Aribo provides absolutely nothing, he has been on terrible form. It's a position I would really like to see strengthened. Aribo looked great at the start of the season, but has become the most frustrating player in the team.
Also, I think Jack back in the team provides a much stronger platform for Aribo to concentrate on creating rather than defending, which he can't do.

He has ability that cannot be denied.

But he’s not showing it consistently enough to be deemed a first team starter when the whole squad is available. A guy of his talent should be one of the first names on the team sheet but he’s not at that level yet.

He’s still young and a very capable squad player for the time being. He started the season on fire before his injury as well, pity he lost that momentum.

I really hope he can kick on and realise his full potential.
When does a midfielder stop being young?

He is fast becoming our Jesse Lindgard.

he is clearly being played out of position due to necessity, not through fucking choice.

we have a scarcity of reliable options in midfield with Jack and Arfield out. I'm pretty sure the manager is aware that Aribo is not as effective in his current position as he is further forward.
How many times has he played ahead of Kent in the more advanced position?
I assume you think that is his position?

If you mean he is better in a different midfield shape, while I agree, it requires Ryan Jack to be playing.

Central midfield is still his position though and he isn't paying as a holding midfielder just now, more an orthodox number 8.

When does a midfielder stop being young?

He is fast becoming our Jesse Lindgard.

He plays like a youngster in all honesty.

The big occasions tend to overwhelm him in my opinion. He was completely lost in the first half of the last old firm game. Slightly better in the second half, and thankfully glanced the ball of McGregors shoulder so credit where it’s due.

But he’s got quite a few years before entering the typical prime age of a midfielders career.

He plays like a youngster in all honesty.

The big occasions tend to overwhelm him in my opinion. He was completely lost in the first half of the last old firm game. Slightly better in the second half, and thankfully glanced the ball of McGregors shoulder so credit where it’s due.

But he’s got quite a few years before entering the typical prime age of a midfielders career.
I agree he plays like a youngster. He isn't a young player though, and I just want him to realise how good he is, and how strong he is.

When he's good, he's really good. It doesn't happen enough. I don't know if we can keep waiting for him to play well consistently.

The OP wasn’t just talking about today though. The guy is one of the main reasons we play so well in Europe.

Fair enough. I was pretty pissed with Aribo, together with most of the team, at the time of my reply so was focused on the Motherwell game.

Its clearly not correct to say he never offers anything - that's madness.

I agree he plays like a youngster. He isn't a young player though, and I just want him to realise how good he is, and how strong he is.

When he's good, he's really good. It doesn't happen enough. I don't know if we can keep waiting for him to play well consistently.

Cant disagree with anything you say there.

He’ll be dropped as soon as the likes of Jack and Arfield are fully fit again.

He hasn’t played poorly, but similarly hasn’t nailed down the position either.

His form has dipped that’s for sure but come on to fuck...

source.gif
Forgot how good that strip was

He is a technically very good footballer, if a little one footed which makes him a bit predictable at times.

However, he lacks concentration and aggression. I dont mean going flying in to tackles. I just mean that teams can bully him out of games and he doesn't seem to want to battle to win the right to let his superior ability shine through.

If Rangers had a 5 a sides team he'd be first pick. However he really needs to add some aggression to his game in my opinion. Midfield in Scotland, especially at this time of year when pitches are heavy is predominantly a battle. He has shown little appetite to get involved in that side of the game.

I felt he had opportunities to cut out pass for aberdeens goal if he had burst a gut instead of just meandering back in a half jog. And I also felt he didn't sense the danger until it was too late yesterday . Perhaps a wee bit harsh yesterday but his effort at defending the Aberdeen break was not acceptable.

With the system we play I think Aribo is more effective playing as one of the two behind the striker off the right channel.

He has struggled a bit in midfield recently but to say he doesn't bring anything is harsh imo.

I've waxed lyrical about Joe's talent on here many times
I honestly believe he's the most talented player in Scotland right now
No one else in Scotland has his 'close control' skills imo

All that said - he isn't nearly as effective as I'd like him to be - & I'm not at all sure how to rectify that

He's the type of player I'd like to see given a bit of a free role - but our style of play doesn't lend itself to that luxury

I'm also unsure of how Joe himself would deal with a free role - some players thrive with the freedom- others need to rigidly keep in formation - to get the best out of them

Then there's the position - or at least the zone - players occupy

With his ability- I want him in opponents penalty box - or wide in the last 3rd
I think there's an argument that he's wasted in midfield

He can tackle & beat a man in tight areas - so I think some then expect him to be a midfield controller type - & I suppose he could be employed to do that - but I'd see that as using the wrong tool to do the right job

It would be a real shame imo - if we can't get the best out of such an obviously talented player - but we shouldn't stop trying

He needs to do more to convince me
Was told their is a player in him somewhere and we do get moments

would like those moments to be more frequent

Listening to the Joe Aribo interview today - where he said he & the coaching staff always analyse each match & he's always asking how he can improve his game

While I can't fault this approach & would hope this is the norm - I'm left wondering if Joe's role, game plan, position & how he fits in with those around him might be getting a bit over analysed

Like I mentioned in an earlier post - maybe JA might be more effective with a freer role ?

I realise that might be a bit of a luxury - but we're definately not getting the benefits of his talents right now

Or do we all think he needs dropped

I heard a stat today on a Gers podcast - Aribo, in 22 games, has 4 goals and 2 assists.

For a player of his ability, often playing in one of the more advanced positions in the team, those numbers are shockingly poor.

We need much more - more influence, more goals, more assists, more consistency.

He has a lazy streak when we don't have the ball that means he should only be played in a midfield 3 in an emergency, also infuriating when he takes too many touches every other time he gets the ball

standard judgement of flair players in scotland .. not good enough but a key part of the team leading the way? my opinion is he drags basically the oppositions midfield in to swipe him and leaves his team mates in space. does more than enough to improve us

I prefer Aribo having more of an attacking role. He looks better when he's not got so much of the defensive duties on his plate. Think the return of Jack and Arfield in the next few weeks could prove vital for him.

I feel really sorry for him, that injury cut him down when he was in some form for us. Hopefully he can rekindle that in the next couple of months and we can rotate the midfield a bit more, while trying different approaches.

I just can’t see what this lad brings to the team. Has the odd dribble but today contributed the square root of zero again. He only ever seems to do it when we are winning games easily and is usually missing when the going gets tough.
Absolutely mental. This boy is gonna be huge for us. Give him support FFS surely anyone with eyes can see the talent he has

Cant disagree with anything you say there.

He’ll be dropped as soon as the likes of Jack and Arfield are fully fit again.

He hasn’t played poorly, but similarly hasn’t nailed down the position either.
personally i would still put him in the "youngster" group.. honestly think the sky is the limit for him hes got that much natural ability

Aribo is still a young player learning his trade. I think he is much more suited on the right of a front 3 or central in a 4 2 3 1. I'm not sure he has tactical awareness to be 1 of the 3 midfielders we currently use against the better teams, Aberdeen game being the prime example of that

He can lack aggression and be too passive at times. Technically can be amazing tho. Better suited to some games than others.
This is Joe Aribo right here.

He needs to learn to bring that aggression and focus in every game he plays for us because it's a huge advantage to Rangers when he does.

I'm sure Gerrard will be in his ear about this , that's what made him the competitor he was after all.

Same old rubbish on FF. There always has to be someone to get stuck into.

Kent, Morelos, Hagi... even the likes of Davis and Goldson have taken pelters.

This is a title-winning squad and Joe Aribo has been a huge part of it. He might be in his normal position in terms of playing CM, but is obviously being asked to perform an unfamiliar role. All things considered, he's done okay.

"I don't see what he's contributed". I must have missed the lovely 1-2 against St Johnstone; the nuisance he made himself for the McGregor OG; the two goals he was involved in up at Aberdeen. We went unbeaten over the festive period and he had a lot to do with it.

There's more to come from Aribo but to suggest he's a passenger or whatever is nonsense. He's doing more than fine and there's a lot more to come.

Same old rubbish on FF. There always has to be someone to get stuck into.

Kent, Morelos, Hagi... even the likes of Davis and Goldson have taken pelters.

This is a title-winning squad and Joe Aribo has been a huge part of it. He might be in his normal position in terms of playing CM, but is obviously being asked to perform an unfamiliar role. All things considered, he's done okay.

"I don't see what he's contributed". I must have missed the lovely 1-2 against St Johnstone; the nuisance he made himself for the McGregor OG; the two goals he was involved in up at Aberdeen. We went unbeaten over the festive period and he had a lot to do with it.

There's more to come from Aribo but to suggest he's a passenger or whatever is nonsense. He's doing more than fine and there's a lot more to come.

Two reasons/issues:

1. FF needs a scapegoat when we drop points, there is nothing surer than at least 2-3 players getting their own thread following a poor performance questioning their merits.

2. Scottish football fans in general don't really appreciate the flair player. They've been brought up to understand football as an aggressive sport and so expect players from all positions to be flying into 50/50's.

One thing I will agree on with Aribo is that there are games when he needs to work harder off the ball, he's been caught out of position a few times which didn't help us against Aberdeen when they scored. Not really his natural position nor is tracking back natural to him but he does need to learn the defensive role of the CM position when he's playing there.

I've said it on FF before and stand by it, when Joe Aribo is on it he is one of, if not the best footballers in this country. No-one else possesses the technical gifts he does when it comes to first touch and close control.

We simply cannot expect players to give us 9 or 10/10 performances every week.

Total hatchet job on Aribo’s credentials and the impact he has on numerous games in this thread. Embarrassing stuff. Plenty in here will be the first to say he’s a 15m player after he has another good game soon.

Aribo in front of the Midfield. Awesome. Wasted in a 3.
100%. Aribo towards the top end of the pitch is fantastic, but sitting in midfield 3 he is a bit lost, he cannot use all is creative talent. I thought he has actually got better the last few games at nicking the ball back.

Aribo further up the field nicking the ball back and being creative and Ryan Jack doing it in front of the defence, then not many teams will get past us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back