Joe Aribo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard made a comment last week about walking football, Aribo clearly comes under that category.
There is no doubt he has an abundance of talent, however I personally feel that we need more energy in our Middle 3.

He should take a good look at Steven Davis and learn that 1 or 2 touches is sufficient.

Do you think Ryan Jack is important to that form?
His awareness and positioning allows Aribo to have more freedom. Jack and Kamara in midfield offer much better cover for the full backs.
Davis is good on the ball, but Aribo has to play deeper to help him off the ball.
Jack is the only one who can play the deep role alone too, which he has done twice this season I think.

Yes I think Jack gives our whole team that bit of composure tbh and let's the other players just do their job without worrying about constantly covering for somebody. He does that deep role better than anybody else and makes it look easy when it's one of the toughest gigs in our team.

It appears that Aribo is caught between playing a deeper role and further forward at present and ends up doing neither job. The thing is if you are playing deeper you can't afford to lose the ball or take as many chances as Aribo does.

I really like Aribo and think he’d be better suited playing further forward. One thing that is a frustration with him is that he often slows the game down when it’s not needed. But that’s a choice and not for a lack of skill so maybe it’s the tactics

Struggled today admittedly, but one of the best in our team for taking ball into feet and working chances. Will have off games so not going to hold anything against him - deserves better.

That said, I'd have hooked him off a bit earlier when it was clear he was struggling.

He was good pre season when it doesn’t matter.
But you said you couldn't see what he brings to the team ?

Every one of them has off days, some more than others. JA is no different and suffered a bad injury some time ago and these things take time to get over !

Also he is a more attacking MF covering for current injuries.

Very good player but not neccesary needed in certain games, cracking player to have in the squad.

He, along with many others, had a bad game. Nothing more.

I will say I don’t think he’s suited to playing so deep in the midfield 3 I want him around the edge of the box.

To say you don’t see what he brings to the team is a bit much though.
Said the same myself, both Aribo and Kamara are mid to top defenders.

Jack and Davis are more productive in the DM to mid area.

I just can’t see what this lad brings to the team. Has the odd dribble but today contributed the square root of zero again. He only ever seems to do it when we are winning games easily and is usually missing when the going gets tough.
I think he's a massive talent centrally doesn't suit him that showed in the first half when he played further forward as he did in the second half that's where he is best effective.

I have to say today once again showed the affect of not having a Jack, Arfield, Roofe we need them back asap.

But you said you couldn't see what he brings to the team ?

Every one of them has off days, some more than others. JA is no different and suffered a bad injury some time ago and these things take time to get over !

Also he is a more attacking MF covering for current injuries.
He has his moments but I’ve yet to ever think by god he’s controlled that match for us and was the reason we won the game.
It’s frustrating as I think there is a player in him but he just doesn’t seem to show it enough for me.

He is being played out position. Just listened to Gerrard on Carragher's podcast from a year ago and he is raging about being played out of position as a young player and now he is doing the same to Aribo. Harsh to blame him.

He is being played out position. Just listened to Gerrard on Carragher's podcast from a year ago and he is raging about being played out of position as a young player and now he is doing the same to Aribo. Harsh to blame him.
I agree young players especially shouldn’t be played out position but what is aribos position?

Rotten for the last three games, a couple of sparks but seems to be afflicted by the same malaise as Ryan Kent, ie. can't do the effective thing for sand-dancing himself into bother. Shouldn't have started today and should have gone off rather than Hagi.

I just can’t see what this lad brings to the team. Has the odd dribble but today contributed the square root of zero again. He only ever seems to do it when we are winning games easily and is usually missing when the going gets tough.
He’s been poor for a while.

One bad game doesn’t make him a bad player.
On his day he is tremendous.
Although admittedly I was calling for him to be subbed today, but he’ll put today behind him

Its difficult to say if he needs a break, if he needs someone like Arfield in there with him or if he's just not quite on his game and that's being exaggerated by the fact there's a few others off their game too. For whatever reason he has struggled in recent games though and without Jack/Arfield Gerrard clearly wants him in there.

Young, talented player is inconsistent. No surprise, no different from most young players.

What will make him an excellent player is playing more games at the upper end of his ability level. Time will tell if he gets there.

Big man is a great football player and will only continue to improve, I have noticed a tendency in games like today he seems to over complicate it and defenders have cottoned on to the fact he is devoid of a right foot he will only improve and we will reap the benefits.

He's 24, 25 this year. We're not talking about a 19 year old.
Fair point. But he’s still relatively inexperienced. This is really his third full season, after taking a couple of years to cement himself in the Charlton team. And he’s just “that” sort of mercurial player. Back in the day, he could have been a 30 year old winger and people would have shrugged their shoulders at his inconsistency. He’s that type of player, even if he’s not out on the wing.

great player, day dreams when defending and comes alive going forward.

1 of 3 in midfield? lmfao

Potentially really good, but more often than not bit frustrating.
Got all the talent but think he needs to be a bit more forceful, he’s a big strong guy so should use that as well as his skill.

Playing out of position today

Won the ball back quite a few times in the second half
The exaggeration on here today is incredible

Folk judging his performance like he's playing in the front 3.

Broke down their play more than anyone else, did his job well without being exceptional.

He’s more suited to playing in the front 3, just doesn’t suit playing in the middle 3 as much. For the next game I’d have a front 3 of Morelos, hagi and aribo. Then have Davis, Kamara and zungu in the middle 3.

Aribo is a top top player, his skill and control are second to none. He is developing as a player and will be a fantastic midflieder in the premiership.

We need to appreciate what our team have achieved so far this season and support the players as best we can. I know we’ve nothing yet but we will.
We’ve been to hell and back.

Talented,but frustrating,over does things,too many touches and doesn't shoot often enough.
Sometimes doesn't look up when he has the ball,and doesn't chase runners from opposite team,like last week v aberdeen

Had a poor game today. He can be a frustrating player but I don't think that position gets the best out of him. Plays best in the front 3. On his day he is imo the most gifted and technical player in the league imo. A shame too because he was on form before the injury. Hopefully he regains that consistency and confidence back.

There was more than just Aribo off it today but had he put his lace through the ball and rattled it rather than the frustrating tendency of many players these days who opt for a tame side foot finish he might have got on the scoresheet which is something he needs to start doing.

I like Joe he's my favorite player at Rangers right now, he is one of the best ball players we have,his balance,control,speed is usually top notch.
Not today though.

Or maybe you need to realise we are a bit light in the middle with Jack and Arfield out and Aribo is playing in a position which isn't his best.

Don't think there was a single fan accusing him of not being at it when we started the season.
He's not been the same since return from injury

I am a huge Aribo fan but also believe he now needs to take his game to another level.

I feel he needs to learn how to play a first time pass or hit a first time shot. I think a lot of this comes down to him failing to “scan”. Technically he is so sound I think he trusts it so much that he almost feels that he doesn’t need to however he really does have to become more aware of what’s around him and see the picture quicker.

He needs to look over his shoulder, where the ball could go and where the ball is coming from.

Elite players scan more than anyone, it’s a key skill that sets them apart.

I think he needs to be coached this which would then in turn allow him to play quicker rather than taking a touch then lifting his head to assess options.

Lee Bowyer, is that you?

He hasn't played well for a while. Was flying before his injury. I think he is wasted at CM as he is too left footed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back