Joe Aribo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Joe he's my favorite player at Rangers right now, he is one of the best ball players we have,his balance,control,speed is usually top notch.
Not today though.
As Souness always used to say, you’ve got to win the physical battle first and then the ability can shine through. Big Joe has all the skill in the world but sometimes seems to just stick a toe in, rather than get his full weight behind his tackles and play. His touches can however be sublime.
Clear to see he has built himself up in the gym over the last 12 mths or so but appears too polite on the park to get properly stuck in.
Hate saying this but I always think he must be a fabulous 5 asides player, where there’s hardly any tackling.
Hoping there’s more development still to come from Joe. He is a great talent.

Don’t think he’s played well since his injury. He’s the one player I’ve wanted hooked the games we’ve struggled

No question he has talent, game just seems to pass him by at times. More consistency required

As Souness always used to say, you’ve got to win the physical battle first and then the ability can shine through. Big Joe has all the skill in the world but sometimes seems to just stick a toe in, rather than get his full weight behind his tackles and play. His touches can however be sublime.
Clear to see he has built himself up in the gym over the last 12 mths or so but appears too polite on the park to get properly stuck in.
Hate saying this but I always think he must be a fabulous 5 asides player, where there’s hardly any tackling.
Hoping there’s more development still to come from Joe. He is a great talent.
Don't know much about 5s.But agree with most of what you said.

Painfully inconsistent but think that's down to him being asked to fill the gap in central midfield left by Jack and Arfield injuries.

Better further forward and not asked to do the dirty work

I thunk he is magic..........on a bowling green park playing a good European team, he will not be out of place.
Against a workmanlike Scottish team on a shite park.........not got that fire in his belly that is required for these games.

Both Aribo and Kent are massively off their games just now. Given they are two attacking players its probably why we have been a bit powderpuff going forward in a few games. Its a tricky one cos when they are firing they are both a joy.

Huge fan of him but I’d be replacing him with Arfield soon as possible. Think it’s a bit ridiculous to outright pin the blame on him for a draw today though. I simply think Arfield has been giving us more and we miss him, rather than Aribo being pish as he absolutely is not.

I wish he would have a pop from edge of box more often, the amount of times he has the ball at the corner of the box but always looking for the one two. Aribo has more talent in his left toe than Christie from the other mob has in his whole body but the difference going forward is he’ll at least try and score from outside the box when there’s an opportunity.

No doubting Aribo's ability but he lacks consistency....... as does Hagi. You just don't know what you are going to get from either.

I just can’t see what this lad brings to the team. Has the odd dribble but today contributed the square root of zero again. He only ever seems to do it when we are winning games easily and is usually missing when the going gets tough.
I wonder if he brings winning games to the team and when he and others have a slight off day it’s possible to draw a game now and again.

His form has dipped that’s for sure but come on to fuck...

source.gif

I thought he did ok, he dwells on the ball a bit too much at times. Had some great tackles and win the ball a few times today.

Joe Aribo is a very good footballer who had a poor game yesterday. He is a huge asset to Rangers.

Starting to get slightly concerned with him. Hasn't really improved as a footballer since joining the club and he's only had a limited amount of games this season that you can point out as being a standout. Not sure the current system will be able to get the most out of him, since Arfield did his ankle and Aribo has had to become a regular the performances have taken a bit of a dip and we have started matches quite poorly, he lacks the attacking instincts that someone like Arfield has. He's also not better than Kent, Roofe or Hagi as one of the two 10's so him time there will be fairly limited.

He's a big lad who's not slow and great feet yet when i watch him i regularly want more from him, there's a lack of drive to his game and he doesn't seem to cope particularly well with being rushed into decisions. He's 24 so he has plenty of time to improve but he doesn't inspire confidence at the moment and i feel he's more of a front runner than someone who will regularly stand out or have a moment of magic when the squad as a whole aren't performing like a Tav, Hagi or Morelos

My issue with Aribo is it takes him 20/30 minutes to get started. A great footballer but he needs to be at it from the off. Everybody recognises how good he could be but he needs to get the finger out.

Really poor yesterday. I much prefer him playing as a 10 than in the middle of the park.

He’s struggled since coming back from his injury

Didn’t play well yesterday again like a lot of the side

No need for the scatter gun approach though after our 15 game winning streak comes to an end

Aribo let cole get in front of him.
Aribo was marking Campbell behind him, who he actually covered quite well initially, although he did then let him get goal side and if Cole had missed the cross, Campbell would've scored - but I wouldn't blame him alone for letting Cole into that space where he scored from.

Watch Balogun - he had Cole touch tight then let him go, running out towards Polworth on the edge of the box as he played the one-two with Watt. Goldson was wildly out of position and Davis has dropped in covering him. Davis being so deep with Kamara ball watching and Tav doubling up with Goldson leaves Polworth free. Balogun also starts to come out towards Polworth leaving Cole unmarked and he drifts into that space between Balogun and Aribo. Balogun can't get back into position quickly enough to clear the cross. Could Aribo have read the cross and seen Cole getting into the gap? Possibly but he is young, inexperienced and far from a defensively minded player. To to expect him to cover for 2 dismally out of position centre halves is a bit much. Barasic was also posted missing. All round we were very disorganised defensively there and it is harsh to blame it all on Aribo.

Been poor last few weeks, there’s a debate to be had if he’s a genuine starter long term in a higher quality Rangers team.

That’s for another day

Big Joe has all the attributes to be a top class player. I think his skill set is best suited to play as a ten or part of a front 3.

Great player and improving his game slowly but surely. At one point I watched him pinch a ball from a Motherwell player as he was running away from him. My first thought was "He's now got extendable legs like Kamara"

I agree with posters who think he’s wasted as an actual centre mid, his footwork and ability to dip his shoulder gives us something different up top when he’s playing behind the striker.

I think that Aribo is one of the best ball winners we have. He seems to win the ball in situations where one wouldn't be expected to so i.e. surrounded by at least two close opposing players breathing down on him. I think that I counted three times yesterday that he did this when it looked a lost cause. By and large he gets a pass off and finds a team mate. Again, if he loses the ball he is well up for retrieving it.

By the way, I hope Aribo's not looking in here!

We can be too obsessed with this get “stuck in”. Aribo’s a fantastic player, just not hit the heights of his pre injury form but it’ll come in time

I just can’t see what this lad brings to the team. Has the odd dribble but today contributed the square root of zero again. He only ever seems to do it when we are winning games easily and is usually missing when the going gets tough.
Bizarre.

I am not a fan when aribo is in the middle. Number 10 or a more an attacking midfield player...... To play in our middle 3 , you need the 3 to be good box to box...

I’m a big fan of aribo but only in the front 3. He’s no use in the middle in these fixtures unless you’re 3-0 up and cruising, even at that it was his man who scored at Aberdeen. Need Jack and Roofe back for Hibs.
Agree. Our system needs three runners in the middle of the park. Aribo is a wonderful player, but not where he’s being asked to play. Hopefully Jack can get 30 minutes at the weekend and get back in the starting 11 thereafter. Aribo might play further up replacing Hagi with a bit of a shuffle in the front three.

Agree. Our system needs three runners in the middle of the park. Aribo is a wonderful player, but not where he’s being asked to play. Hopefully Jack can get 30 minutes at the weekend and get back in the starting 11 thereafter. Aribo might play further up replacing Hagi with a bit of a shuffle in the front three.
Yeah he’s a clever player who can hold up play so is a useful out ball out to the right wing. He’s an excellent dribbler when he’s on it so he’s more use at the edge of the box. Jack coming back in is good but means you’re then starting him, Davis and Kamara which isn’t exactly creative in the middle either. Could drop Hagi into the mid 3 on occasion when teams are deep but for me he doesn’t have the legs to track a man when the full backs are high.

Braga!?

I do not believe there is an argument that oor Joe is not firing on all cylinders. He disappears for periods of time which almost suggests he is hiding or hiding an injury. I would love to see Joe working hard again,we need him.

I reckon that if someone could be bothered trawling through all the threads on here re. various players and their form and whether or not they should be in the team

We may still have McGregor and Connor Goldson playing but that would be it.

He, along with many others, had a bad game. Nothing more.

I will say I don’t think he’s suited to playing so deep in the midfield 3 I want him around the edge of the box.

To say you don’t see what he brings to the team is a bit much though.
I think he is better further forward - you lose a lot of what he is good at by having him back in midfield.

When you have Aribo & Kent out wide or coming inside and feeding Morelos in the middle then I think you have great attacking options.. add Hagi in behind the striker and I think you have the mix to destroy teams.

Aribo has heaps of talent... needs to be more single minded and consistent for sure but as with Hagi - I struggle to understand how folk who can’t see a player there are actually interested in football. Both of them are terrific players.

The

Manager

Obviously

Disagrees
he is clearly being played out of position due to necessity, not through fucking choice.

we have a scarcity of reliable options in midfield with Jack and Arfield out. I'm pretty sure the manager is aware that Aribo is not as effective in his current position as he is further forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back