Joe Aribo

I don't doubt the importance of the defensive side of the game

I fully understand that everyone in our squad requires to put in a shift wherever it's needed on the pitch

I recognise our midfielders & attackers have for the most part taken this on board & generally deal with defensive duties well & of course our defenders are great at attacking

I also have to admit JA has had a couple of howlers recently & hasn't quite mastered this side of his repertoire

With all that said - some of the critiscism sounds to me a bit like 'picking up a hammer & saying this makes a useless spanner'

It's a problem we have had all season it's just that it's not punished that often in the SPFL our midfielders are terrible at tracking runners
We have lost 9 goals in thirty league games while scoring freely at times, although that has dropped off a bit since January. I would suggest that if our midfield did not track runners we would have lost a lot more than 9 goals especially as our FBs spend much of the game deep in the opposition half. When they are forward it is our midfield that track their immediate opponents and do the FBs job. Jack, Davis and Kamara are three intelligent football players who are actually excellent at tracking runners. As evidenced by how few goals we have lost.

The boy could keep a beach ball off the opposition in a phone box, but he really needs to work a bit on his defending.
He was caught wrong side tonight at their first, and almost gave away a howler last week.
Had a few lapses lately, luckily we have been scoring freely so it hasn't cost us, but it might when things get a bit tighter.

Tighten it up Joey boy!
What’s a phone box ?

Gets caught out not tracking defensively but with right players setting the standards around him he will learn. reminds me a bit of Ted McMinn, but better.

The Armchair management on here is LOL funny.

The manager told us pre-game, on 2 occasions I heard (probably more) that he was going to pick an aggressive and bold team: one that could score and expose Antwerp's dodgy back line.

He did that and we scored 9 goals. Nine.

Of course, that would mean Aribo playing in midfield and for him to get into advanced areas, rather than patrolling the halfway line and playing short and sideways. Defensive play isn't his strength.

You can't do everything. Players who can threaten in the last third and also get back to defend every counter attack are very, very rare indeed. Barry Ferguson could only do this for 2 seasons I can remember, apart from Steve Davis in his first spell every other midfield player we have had in the last 2 decades was either inclined defensively (eg Ian Ferguson) or more attacking (eg Iain Durrant).

I’m kind of glad that Aribo is making these mistakes now. I think he needs to experience them and learn from them to make him a better complete midfielder.

Its funny , i cant disagree that he can be careless in losing the ball in stupid places, but I just love what the guy brings to the team . We're not a team full of 'complete' megabucks players, but we're a team that delivers in abundance.

Back