Joe Aribo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we get this one done quickly, if the mentally challengeds fail to get Turnbull there's no doubt they will try and hijack this to please there fans!

Max Lowe
George Edmundson
James Lawrence
Joe Aribo
Sheyi Ojo
Ryan Kent
Jordan Jones
Jake Hastie
Greg Stewart

Would that be a decent summer if we hold onto to Alfie and Tav

I’d be very , very concerned if this list is all we get to be honest . Only two perhaps three of that list are of first team quality if we want to step up the level from last season . Having said that I do not believe for a minute this “ list “ will be all we get .

I also believe there will be substantial money brought in from Alfie , that remains to be seen , and he will need to be replaced .

A very average list at best

Thankfully not just me thinking that .

Where is the quality we need to step up from last seasons level ? As I say Aribo and Ojo, Kent who we already had , the rest are squad guys who may well turn out decent but it’s not enough , for me , to bring us up a level at all .

Is this the quality SG spoke of? Or are these names merely squad/false rumours, ojo and Aribo aside, who I assume will go straight into the team

Think Gerrard has said previously that he wants 2 marquee signings, so most of his budget transfer fees and wages will be spent on these 2 individuals. The rest of the signings will either be on bosman or low transfer fee. If we can get Kent back, Aribo in Ojo and then 2 marquee signings, we will be very very close.

Think Gerrard has said previously that he wants 2 marquee signings, so most of his budget transfer fees and wages will be spent on these 2 individuals. The rest of the signings will either be on bosman or low transfer fee. If we can get Kent back, Aribo in Ojo and then 2 marquee signings, we will be very very close.
Did Gerrard use the term marquee signings, and say he wanted two of them? I'm not saying he didn't, I just can't imagine him saying it. I know he wants players who will add to the quality of the first eleven.

Hadn’t heard that. I know he’s clearly after first teamers, I assume ojoand aribo fit that mould but the rest are just squad fillers and to be frank, not sure they are better than the squad fillers we had last season bar Stewart as we didn’t have a player of his type. Hoping we spend between 7-10mill, we cannot rest on our laurels given the instability playing out at the puddle drinkers

I might be wrong but I don’t think thats a word Gerrard would use, its tabloid speak.
I agree. He might say something indirect that marquee signings if you can get them would be good, but I can't imagine him saying he wanted two marquee signings.

I agree. He might say something indirect that marquee signings if you can get them would be good, but I can't imagine him saying he wanted two marquee signings.

He did use the word marquis at one point, which surprised me, can’t remember the context though .

I think once the board know what we get in for Alfie , then we will be in s better position to get the two or three real quality guys in we need .

Fair do’s bud, I didn’t think that was a phrase he’d use. Here’s hoping he gets them.

Hopefully makes sense. 2 for example 4 million players added to what we have got should be enough to beat every team apart from Celtic in the league. Then it should come down to the old firm games. I know it won't be that simple but if we can get 2 players with quality added to the rest of the signings mentioned so far we will have a great chance.

Hopefully makes sense. 2 for example 4 million players added to what we have got should be enough to beat every team apart from Celtic in the league. Then it should come down to the old firm games. I know it won't be that simple but if we can get 2 players with quality added to the rest of the signings mentioned so far we will have a great chance.

I’d assume given the reported deal we’re offering Aribo, and the interest surrounding him from other clubs, that he’d be classed as a big signing this summer.

Hadn’t heard that. I know he’s clearly after first teamers, I assume ojoand aribo fit that mould but the rest are just squad fillers and to be frank, not sure they are better than the squad fillers we had last season bar Stewart as we didn’t have a player of his type. Hoping we spend between 7-10mill, we cannot rest on our laurels given the instability playing out at the puddle drinkers

Many equate spending money with success when actually, historically, our best signings have been either on a free or for a small fee.

We are (supposedly) happy to spend 3 million on a centre half and people are moaning that it's too much!

The club just can't win in some people's eyes

We will add a couple of quality players who will go straight into the team. I'd imagine those signings will happen later in the window. Hope ID10 is correct about Aribo, he looks tailor made for Scottish football.

Many equate spending money with success when actually, historically, our best signings have been either on a free or for a small fee.

We are (supposedly) happy to spend 3 million on a centre half and people are moaning that it's too much!

The club just can't win in some people's eyes

A perfect example was the January window we signed 2 high profile quality players and a third ( squad filler) seen as a great widow . For a good while only the latter produced . Truth is we just don’t know who will step up , who won’t . We just need to have faith in the manager and recruitment team .

I’d strongly suspect that both Aribo and Ojo would be seen as significant signings within the club.

That said, i’ll be amazed if we don’t do some significant spending (ie £3mill plus) on a couple of players.

If we got the list show and 2 other £3mill players (CB and LB) and did not lose Tav and Alfie, i’d be pretty pleased with that. If we lose Tav or Alfie then large amounts will need paid to replace them.

It has to be remembered that, for all that we finished second, the margins were tight. It would just have taken us converting dominance to victory in a few games against bottom six fodder or getting results against the sheep and Killie. Having a more dynamic midfield that can move the ball and attack centrally should fix that. We found a 3 that worked last season and Aribo would add significantly to that. Equally getting some goals from our wide men rather than aimless crosses to an isolated Alfie would also have fixed some games and we now have Jones, Hastie and (probably) Ojo who are all reputed to be much more direct than anyone we had last year.

You can clearly see that the signings fit what we need and where we were short. At present we need CBSs to fill out the squad with players who do not weaken us when they play, a left back unless Barisic comes into form and possibly a midfielder with better goals return but it can be hard to find one of them who also offers the fight and dig in all the rest of the midfield role that we require. If more goals come from wide, we don’t need a traditional 10 and now have Stewart to challenge Arfield when we play the Christmas tree.

A perfect example was the January window we signed 2 high profile quality players and a third ( squad filler) seen as a great widow . For a good while only the latter produced . Truth is we just don’t know who will step up , who won’t . We just need to have faith in the manager and recruitment team .

Some players will cost money and be ok, some will cost nothing and will be brilliant. Some will cost a lot and be rubbish. Some will cost a lot and be brilliant.

It's the same with every club, everywhere.

Aribo we are getting for free (hopefully) but his value is probably a lot more than we would be able to afford were he under contract. Should we not be going for free transfers cause it supposedly shows a lack of ambition? No, we absolutely should be doing this kind of business.

The word we should always look for is 'value'. Not 'amount'.

I’d be very , very concerned if this list is all we get to be honest . Only two perhaps three of that list are of first team quality if we want to step up the level from last season . Having said that I do not believe for a minute this “ list “ will be all we get .

I also believe there will be substantial money brought in from Alfie , that remains to be seen , and he will need to be replaced .
Agreed. A lot of lower level youngsters, a lot of players that blow hot and cold. We need established names to push us onwards or guys that have played consistently at a decent level as well as those kind of signings. And I’d rather we minimised the potential wasted money on guys that are unproven. Might go on to be stars, might not.

Agreed. A lot of lower level youngsters, a lot of players that blow hot and cold. We need established names to push us onwards or guys that have played consistently at a decent level as well as those kind of signings. And I’d rather we minimised the potential wasted money on guys that are unproven. Might go on to be stars, might not.

Established players at a decent level who are consistently good and at the height of their careers do not transfer for fees that we can afford. Same for anyone in Scotland.

We can only play the game as it stands now. Our success rate on the more risky game we have to play is not bad at all and certainly better than our rivals.

Established players at a decent level who are consistently good abd at the height of their careers do not transfer for fees that we can afford. Same for anyone in Scotland.

We can only play the game as it stands now. Our success rate on the more risky game we have to play is not bad at all and certainly better than our rivals.
You make a good point.

Established players at a decent level who are consistently good abd at the height of their careers do not transfer for fees that we can afford. Same for anyone in Scotland.

I totally agree with you. But, the more players we bring in who are of the ‘not really done it elsewhere, but might do it up here’ type then it’s less money to spend on the guys who will make a difference. I also think constantly shopping in the English market doesn’t help our cause with value for money.

I totally agree with you. But, the more players we bring in who are of the ‘not really done it elsewhere, but might do it up here’ type then it’s less money to spend on the guys who will make a difference. I also think constantly shopping in the English market doesn’t help our cause with value for money.

Agree with the English market thing. But there are advantages - they are ‘proven’ in a fast physical league, don’t mind living in Britain and many will be star struck by our manager.

We will not be buying anyone without an asterisks. We can’t afford it. Either can anyone in Scotland. Our signings will come from weaker leagues. Or be young and slightly unproven. Or will have some sort of injury record. Because a guy with none of these issues will go for £10mill. And still might not play well for us.

Genuine ready made quality comes at a price we can’t really afford though, I’m seeing centre backs I’ve barely heard of being quoted at 50 million down south.
There is players out there that are affordable & inject genuine quality in to our first 11.

Its up to our recruitment department to find them, its why we spend money on a team of around 7 scouts.

There is players out there that are affordable & inject genuine quality in to our first 11.

Its up to our recruitment department to find them, its why we spend money on a team of around 7 scouts.

Yip, but I think folk pining for a ‘marquee’ signing will most likely have a different likely unrealistic idea of what that is compared to what we can afford.

I don't understand the £3/4 million =Genuine Quality because it clearly doesn't we have had better quality come in on free/Loan or for low fees. Grezda, Pena, Herrera and Barisic have hardly set the place alight and they were expensive signings compare that with the signings Of; Arfield, Kent, Defoe, Mcgregor, Tavernier, Kamara and Morelos who all cost less combined than the fee for either one of the other players I mentioned above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back