Joe Aribo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t think a lot of people realise how big of a coup it will be for us to get Aribo. Marcus Gayle has confirmed with his quote that he has asked about his time at rangers, so we must be interested. Let’s hope we can get this over the line. As this would be like getting a 6million pound player for free.
Means we need to play him as big money to sell on and his quality.
Who does he replace?

Excited by this but wondering who loses their place out of kamara Davis and arfield, they seemed to really click at the end of the season which could have been good going forward

This is an important issue Recoba. From limited viewing of him, I accept, he seems to have a creativity to him & something different from our other midfielders.

Personally I’ve been hoping for a midfielder that is strong & pacy & runs beyond the striker, but for free this guy gives us added creativity around the opposition box.

If he got 10 goals for Charlton, he could get 15 plus for us if he develops & stays fit next season.
I have seen him play quite a few times but not loads and i would say like other posters said he is like a McGinn all action type and he is left footed which i love

Reading what Gayle has said to him about us, I reckon Stevie G would just need to pay him a visit to get this over the line. Much like he did with Goldson. You don’t say no when Stevie G turns up at your door!

If he's decent, hope we can offer him the wages he needs to come.

Would not be surprised to see a top championship side offer him around £25-30k with a clause to double if they make the EPl.

It will be very hard for us to match wages if a top championship side decides they want him.

You just hope the chance to play under gerrard and win trophies might put it right in the mix.

Reading what Gayle has said to him about us, I reckon Stevie G would just need to pay him a visit to get this over the line. Much like he did with Goldson. You don’t say no when Stevie G turns up at your door!
I think going by Gayle's comments then Gerrard has already spoken to him.

Remember him against Dundee midweek when Caniggia scored for them and we lost, he looked poor that night!!

Im sure he only stayed for half a season tops.

Bought him for around £1million and then sold him in the next transfer window getting our money back if I remember right, bit of a bizarre signing.

Never watched him play a full 90, so it's hard to comment, but from the YouTube reel, I like his athleticism and composure on the ball.

If he does sign, I imagine one of Rossiter & Docherty will be offski.

I think going by Gayle's comments then Gerrard has already spoken to him.
Pretty sure I read on here Gerrard was seen at a Charlton game, poss the play off? So hoping the conversation has been had and Aribo is considering it.

Also noticed Aribo is followed on social media by Kamara, who's liked all his posts, so hopefully there's a connection/friendship there and Kamara is putting in a good word also!

The guys is 22, hopefully the idea of developing his game under Gerrard for a big club with the chance to play in Europe etc etc will sway him our way.

Im sure he only stayed for half a season tops.

Bought him for around £1million and then sold him in the next transfer window getting our money back if I remember right, bit of a bizarre signing.

Bought for £800k. There was some quote from Advocaat that one of the reasons he signed him was that he cost the same as the alien on the other side and he hoped that would be a good omen. A bit of a sign of how our transfer planning was off kilter at that point.

Can’t say I know much about Aribo other than all the stuff on here but he does sound like a very useful addition. Beyond the playing side though, this will be the first time in a long time when we are after an established player with significant competition for his signature. Really hope we can get it over the line as it will be really good to be back to beating other teams off the field as well as on it.

Gayle has been a huge influence on this boy in his career so far, so much so it was referenced during Play of final just gone

Hope the lad continues to listen to Marcus!

Only had to wait around 20 years to see that £1m outlay returned!!

Would like to sign Aribo but more for his potential than what he’s actually shown. I watch quite a bit of Charlton and he can be very inconsistent. If your first time watching him was in the play-offs this year, I don’t think you’d be very impressed with any of his three performances. Not saying he wouldn’t do well, just that it’s not like we would be signing someone who would easily displace one of our current midfield. He’d have to earn it.

This is his average heat map for the season, gives a bit of insight in to where his involvements are. Obviously played left side of a midfield 3.

4ht5kx.png

I’m not comparing them at all, but that heat map is exactly the position Pogba played in his pomp for Juventus as the left hand side of a midfield three.

"Do you want to play for Steven Gerrard or...?"

"Steven Gerrard!"

"But you didn't let me give you the other options."

"Did I fucking stutter? I said, Steven Gerrard!"

(Hopefully)

Excited by this but wondering who loses their place out of kamara Davis and arfield, they seemed to really click at the end of the season which could have been good going forward

Arfield played in a forward role.

It would be Jack that he would replace.

Davis, Kamara & Aribo.

Marcus Gayle urges Joe Aribo to clinch Rangers deal and learn from Steven Gerrard at Ibrox

Exclusive by Christopher Jack @Chris_Jack89Group Senior Sports Writer
EXCLUSIVE
Joe Aribo

0 comment

MARCUS GAYLE, the former Rangers striker, has urged Charlton midfielder Joe Aribo to take his game to the next level by moving to Ibrox to work alongside boss Steven Gerrard.

Aribo has been attracting interest from a number of clubs south of the border in recent weeks and Rangers are looking to beat Celtic to the signature of the sought-after Englishman.
The Light Blues have already completed deals for Jordan Jones and Jake Hastie, who will move from Kilmarnock and Motherwell respectively, ahead of the new campaign.

Steven Davis has agreed a one-year deal after returning to Ibrox in January, while a move for Greg Stewart will be confirmed once his Birmingham City contract expires this month.
Gerrard is also keen to complete moves for Oldham defender George Edmundson and Liverpool winger Sheyi Ojo as he looks to bolster his squad for another shot at the Premiership title next season.

A deal for Aribo is progressing ahead of Rangers’ return to training in a fortnight but Aston Villa, Southampton and Eintracht Frankfurt have all been credited with an interest in the 22-year-old after an eye-catching campaign that saw him score ten goals to help Lee Bowyer’s side clinch a return to the Championship.

Former Staines Town boss Gayle helped Aribo get his move to The Valley four years ago and is now keen to see him head to Ibrox.

He said: “It is a big decision for him and I have been in communication with him. He was asking about my time at Rangers and what it was like. I didn’t play too many games there but I loved every minute of it.

“I loved the lifestyle, I loved the goldfish bowl in a city with fans that are committed and passionate and they support you 100 per cent. I said it would be a great place to go and develop at 22-years-old.

“He has got that opportunity and if he does decide to go up there, he will learn and push on more. The pull of Steven Gerrard would be massive as well and who better for him to learn from as a midfielder?

“He was one of the best players of the modern generation so that would be a real draw for him.
“There was no indication of how the talks went, but I could sense it was very positive and he liked what he saw and what he heard. I take that as a good sign.

“He was asking me about my experience off the field and I said I loved it. I didn’t want to come back down south to be perfectly honest, but I didn’t have any choice and I had to come back down south.
“I wouldn’t dissuade him from moving to Rangers at all. I think it would be an excellent place to ply his trade and learn. He is only 22, when I went up there I was 30.

“He has got a lot of years ahead of him and if Rangers do sign him they have got a very good player. He is left-footed, very skilful, can score goals and assist goals and he will take the game by the scruff of the neck. Both parties would be very happy with what they have got if a deal is done.”
Lovely

As good as Davis, Jack and Kamara have been, they are all very similar and not one of them naturally likes to get box to box, beyond the strikers at times etc and into goalscoring positions. One of our midfield 3 needs to be a bit more of a goal threat to provide a more natural balance, it'll help us when trying to break down stubborn, deep lying defences.

Haven't seen anything of Aribo but he seems to be this type of player.

Looks like it would be another astute signing on a free transfer. We must be stockpiling a bit of cash to spend on the couple of quality players Gerrard has mentioned (and all of us on here) that the team is lacking to take it to the next level.

Would imagine we will spend quite a bit on a centre half and a forward player.

I’m not comparing them at all, but that heat map is exactly the position Pogba played in his pomp for Juventus as the left hand side of a midfield three.
Would be good to have a left footed option in midfield. Give us a bit more balance.

This signing would be amazing ..... he has a very similar style to Kamara in that he is all action, fantastic energy, great at ball recovery and very hard to dislodge the ball from. Those two with Davis would absolutely destroy Scottish midfield's .... :))

Arfield played in a forward role.

It would be Jack that he would replace.

Davis, Kamara & Aribo.
Could he potentially be a longer term replacement for Davis? Davis has a year contract so get someone in now to take a season to get up to speed and take over that role? I haven't seen enough of Aribo to know...

I know nothing about this kid. And I dont even remember Marcus Gayle in a Rangers shirt! #outoftouchloyal

Our midfield 3 were Davis, Kamara and Jack. Arfield played in an almost free role. We cant be relying on a 35 year old Steven Davis to play 50 odd games a season and there are always injuries and Arfield is a player who has had a few this season and when he has been out we have had very little attacking threat form midfield.

with regards to Gayle im sure he cost us a million quid and it was at a time Advocaat was clutching at straws to try and catch celtic and only played handful of games.

Quite happy with the type of players we are linked with and seem to be serious about so far.
Aribo and Olson and Kalac of Chelsea all have decent pedigree about them.
I hope we have a diamond lined up for the No.10 and Striker positions to really add that game changing/winning cutting edge type of quality that will see us break down stubborn defences that bit easier and lead to winning more of those games which we drew last season, which will get us closer to the league flag.
I imagine these type of signings will be held closer to our chests until the window is open prevent anyone else staling a march on us.

The Tims can offer the lure of champions league qualifiers, not CL football. Not a hope in hell they qualify.

There's also a feeling that they're now a club in decline, whereas we could be on the cusp of something very special.

And given the paedophilia scandal that has engulfed Celtic I'd seriously have to question why any right-minded individual would want to sign for them.

They're damaged goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back