Joe Harper

First time I saw Harper he was busy sticking a penalty past the post Vs us at Pittodrie in a 0-0 draw 1978. Didn't take Fergie too long to punt him either. All said Harper was pretty quick for a fat guy.

I read somewhere years back he actually supported us
Maybe as a boy, coming from Greenock he possibly favoured us. However, he made his debut at 16 years old for Morton, so I doubt he's ever been as an adult to watch Rangers. Had spells at Huddersfield, Morton again, the sheep and Hibs as I recall. Didn't know he had the Shieling in Largs, which I think was a Rangers pub for years.

Maybe as a boy, coming from Greenock he possibly favoured us. However, he made his debut at 16 years old for Morton, so I doubt he's ever been as an adult to watch Rangers. Had spells at Huddersfield, Morton again, the sheep and Hibs as I recall. Didn't know he had the Shieling in Largs, which I think was a Rangers pub for years.
He may have been a bluenose after all

T
That was the Paramount bar just off union st,
They indeed had monitors behind the urinals looping Rangers games.
The were removed after a word in the owners ear by some well connected folk that you wouldn't want to ignore.

Nothing to do with Fatty Harper though.

He played against Northern Ireland and Wales in the end of season Home Internationals. Both games were 1-1, DJ scored both Scotland goals.
Got dropped mysteriously for the England game, and didn't come on even though we lost 1-0. Went to Argentina and didn't get a single minute.

Whatever happened before the England game, McLeod was an absolute dick for not sorting it and playing the best centre forward in Britain that season.
Among the many rumours at the time was that DJ had been on the same treatment as Bud. I don’t believe that for a moment, as DJ was on the bench and susceptible to being drug tested like any other player. No, it was McLeods bloody mindedness and unwillingness to admit he was wrong.

Re DJ and McLeod in 78

I'm pretty sure DJ has said in the past he spoke to McLeod after the England game saying he'd play up front or in defence (McQueen being injured at the time) in Argentina for Scotland and McLeod's reply was along the lines of DJ will play wherever, if I (McLeod), even consider you.

I've heard the fans who were at John Greig's Testimonial where we won 5 0 I think say that the alarm bells were ringing among some fans at the time but McLeod and his cheerleaders didn't seem too bothered

Absolutely disgusting by mcleod
I think the word disgusting is a bit OTT.

Anyway, I don't get the gnashing of teeth over DJ not being picked.

History will show he was never tainted by association with this farce.

And remember there were Scottish hacks tipping Scotland for a third and fourth play off place.

Re DJ and McLeod in 78

I'm pretty sure DJ has said in the past he spoke to McLeod after the England game saying he'd play up front or in defence (McQueen being injured at the time) in Argentina for Scotland and McLeod's reply was along the lines of DJ will play wherever, if I (McLeod), even consider you.

I've heard the fans who were at John Greig's Testimonial where we won 5 0 I think say that the alarm bells were ringing among some fans at the time but McLeod and his cheerleaders didn't seem too bothered
Rangers were brilliant that day, but in truth a team going to the World Cup should not have been getting pumped by a club side. And if memory serves me right they got off light at 5-0.

Hibs manager Eddie Turnbull signed Harper from Everton (who'd bought him from Aberdeen when Turnbull was manager).
Turnbull wanted Harper to lose the 1.5 stone he'd put on since leaving Aberdeen, Harper claimed it was muscle due to lifting weights at Everton.
My mate was playing for Hibs reserves and Hibs reserves played Motherwell reserves at Fir Park to give Harper game time. It was during the miners strike in 1973/74, so afternoon kick off to save on floodlights. I went to the match and finished up in a room where the players of both teams were having tea, cake and sandwiches at full time. Harper came in, looked to see if Turnbull was in, then had a cream cake. 2 minutes later, another. Still no Turnbull so he had another 2 or 3.
I remember thinking it wasn't gym work that was puting on his weight.

That was Mike Wilson back in the 90’s who had the Paramount Bar in Bon Accord Street.

He shat himself when the Follow, Follow fanzine got involved.

This is not the first time that "Follow Follow" has hit the headlines over its controversial content.

A few seasons ago the magazine was investigated by Grampian police following veiled threats made against an Aberdeen publican.

Mike Wilson, then owner of the Paramount Bar in Aberdeen, had enraged fans of the Ibrox club by installing video screens in the urinals of his pub which featured Rangers videos, and then inviting Dons fans

to urinate over them.

In response "Follow Follow", in a stinging article, said: "Treating your opponents like this will lead to violence.

"Why don't we visit the Paramount bar next time the Bears are up there and piss on Mr Wilson?"

Mr Wilson took the threat seriously enough to contact his solicitor and Grampian Police who investigated the matter.
A wee blast from the past there with the name Robert McAuley, he could teach the filth with laptops a thing or two about smearing the club and lathering us with negatives.

An out and out ratbag as I recall.

The fact that all mcleod preferred to play him before big Derek Johnstone in Argentina really annoyed me. Especially as the wee fat chunt done fekk all. Those were the days I actually cared about the national team. Don't give a shit these days.

I think the word disgusting is a bit OTT.

Anyway, I don't get the gnashing of teeth over DJ not being picked.

History will show he was never tainted by association with this farce.

And remember there were Scottish hacks tipping Scotland for a third and fourth play off place.
He had a real soft spot let's say for all things anglo, spl top striker on fire scores in 2 consecutive home internationals the goal against wales was one of the best headed I have ever seen ,then gets dropped for the england game gets taken to argentina and doesn't play one minute in the tournament !! ex sheep manager puts on Joe harper of the sheep as a sub, it was disgusting all right

Last edited:
iirc Morton sold Harper 3 times.
£ for lb Morton's best ever player.
Was at Cappielow hospitality years ago and had the good fortune to share a table with Joe Harper and Allan Mcgraw. Their stories were brilliant. Harper told a few about Argentina and him and DJ were good mates. After going out they knew they'd get pelters even though DJ didn't play and Harper only got 16 mins. All the squad left the plane on London and only these 2 flew to Glasgow where they were met with a baying crowd. They weren't too chuffed at their teammates for bottling it.
I asked Mcgraw who did he enjoy playing with the most. His answer.... John Wayne!
They played in a celebrity match together.

All you need to know mate is he is a self-involved, self-hyped fat ugly prick that used to play for the sheep!
Oh as a man too
Never hid his love for you us in the pub.

Among the many rumours at the time was that DJ had been on the same treatment as Bud. I don’t believe that for a moment, as DJ was on the bench and susceptible to being drug tested like any other player. No, it was McLeods bloody mindedness and unwillingness to admit he was wrong.
100% this.

My cousin was in school with him in Greenock (he hated him btw) and by all accounts he was a Rangers supporter as a boy. I couldn't stand him back in the day as, despite being a fat bastard, he had a nasty habit of scoring against us. How he got to play in Argentina and DJ didn't is beyond all reasonable comprehension.

Went to the BB's in Greenock - worked in the Shieling in Largs and came across as an ok guy. Like a tipple and a punt.

I really hated him, probably because he scored goals against us.

Being brought on v Iran in the 1978 World Cup instead of DJ made me despise him even more.
Exactly my feelings too.

Harper scored 14 goals for Aberdeen during the ‘77/78 league campaign; DJ scored 25, yet this little porker got the nod because that daft goon McLeod had been his manager.

He's actually from Greenock, and pretty sure hes not a tim. Was a decent striker in his day.
He's definitely not from the dark side. In fact the Blackpool True Blues end of season event back in the late 90s he was in attendance and sure he declared himself a bluenose.

I remember Harper, about 10 years ago having a rant about Alex Ferguson and how much he hated him. Thought it strange as most ex players kiss his backside. I'm sure he's not alone though

Before my time, so I just asked my old man about him, actually got him into a mild rage. One of the few players he apparently hates as much if not more than the mentally challengeds.
Always tells me how he bumped into Doug rougvie many years ago at Lochore and had to walk away as he hated him as well.
Rougvie is a Bear. Well he was when I knew him at school in the early 70s.

I think he was a regular on sportsound around the time Chic Young was constantly buying into Murray's bullshit. He actually came across okay at that time but age does funny things to people.

Back