Joe Newell wants to experience regular huge European nights, with full houses under the lights at Easter Road

Bonnyloyal

“This is a club going places. There are not many clubs you can go to who can realistically achieve playing in Europe.

“This is a huge club in a brilliant city. It hasn’t been ideal not having fans, that’s kind of killed my short stay here so far.

“But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road.

“That was the aim at the start of the season and we’re still on track for that.

“When you play down in England, in the Championship like I had been, getting into Europe isn’t something you even think about.

“It’s not going to happen when you are in those leagues, so it is a pull Scottish football has. Players want to play on that stage and, as a club, it helps to attract people up here.

“So becoming a team who plays in Europe regularly is good for us personally but also the club. It brings finances in and persuades players from elsewhere to come here, so it’s a win-win

“Getting into Europe, and hopefully doing it regularly, would be massive for the club. It has to be a big target here now.”

They will be out before anyone is allowed to go on holiday

not next season, 3rd spot guarantees Europa Conference league at a minimum.

Taking away my dislike of Hibs, Newell makes some good points. He could have sat in the English Championship but wants to play European football and found that an attractive aspect of Scottish football. Fair play to him.

Furthest they will get in europe is pumped out in the qualifying by some jobber welsh team or irish team

Was he not out injured recently?

I'm guessing they gave him some heavy painkillers in treatment.

“But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road."

...The Secret Life of Walter Mitty...
tumblr_nicn6n6ehp1qicfexo5_r1_250.gifv

If they finish third they are guaranteed the Europa Conference group stage.

The part which stood out for me was Joe looking forward to a full house at Easter Road. They can't even get a full house for Edinburgh derbies never mind Europe.

Is the new conference the same set up as the Europa? What’s the chances the likes of hibs will get into groups?

Is the new conference the same set up as the Europa? What’s the chances the likes of hibs will get into groups?

It's a new European tournament. If Hibs/Aberdeen get knocked out in the Europa League qualifiers they will go into the Europa Conference group stage.

not next season, 3rd spot guarantees Europa Conference league at a minimum.

Taking away my dislike of Hibs, Newell makes some good points. He could have sat in the English Championship but wants to play European football and found that an attractive aspect of Scottish football. Fair play to him.
Laugh all we want, but we need these clubs to start doing better.
We have again led the way, we have again kick-started Scottish football.
We have shown these other clubs that Scotland can compete in Europe.
Now, where we lead, we need the smaller clubs like Celtc , Aberdeen and Hibs to follow.

I've nothing against the lad, hes a boy trying to better himself. But Joe, if you're lucky you might get to dish out the oranges for us when the champions league music is blaring next season.

Will barely need the floodlights when they get knocked out in mid August.

He won’t be a penny out of pocket if his contract includes paying the electricity bill for the lights being switched on for European ties.

Nothing wrong with showing a bit of ambition. About time other teams in Scotland at least made a fist of qualifying and holding their own. When you consider some of the sides we've faced recently, say Lech poznan, then Hibs aren't that far away from that level imo.
Agreed. If only more Scottish Clubs and Scottish footballers showed that level of ambition and belief, our game would be in a better place.

Reactions: Egt
Back