Joe Newell wants to experience regular huge European nights, with full houses under the lights at Easter Road

Well the Russian visa office is fine and handy for them. Day trip to Moscow, get pumped, then watch it all on the tele.

I was jumping about my living room on Friday shouting at the TV "Please please please give us Molde". I imagine there will be shouting in the living rooms of The Faroes, Andorra, Luxemburg, and Malta "Please, please, please give us Hibs"

This is a club going places. There are not many clubs you can go to who can realistically achieve playing in Europe.

“This is a huge club in a brilliant city. It hasn’t been ideal not having fans, that’s kind of killed my short stay here so far.

“But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road.

“That was the aim at the start of the season and we’re still on track for that.

“When you play down in England, in the Championship like I had been, getting into Europe isn’t something you even think about.

“It’s not going to happen when you are in those leagues, so it is a pull Scottish football has. Players want to play on that stage and, as a club, it helps to attract people up here.

“So becoming a team who plays in Europe regularly is good for us personally but also the club. It brings finances in and persuades players from elsewhere to come here, so it’s a win-win

“Getting into Europe, and hopefully doing it regularly, would be massive for the club. It has to be a big target here now.”
Is it f*ck
:D

Is that 3rd tier Euro competition starting next season???? I thought they were still just throwing ideas around still. On topic, aye Hibs are usually pumped out but the same folk laughing at them here are likely the same complaining about them not contributing to Scotland's Euro points.

As much as I detest the spoon burning feckers, i want our teams to do well and actually qualify for group stages. We need to improve this shite league. They'll still be horsed in the first qualifiers thoughB-D:shh:

It certainly is a great City but that doesn’t mean your made for and due European football , much better places than Edinburgh don’t get that eg Berlin

These wee shitey clubs are embarrassing, coming out with the same pish season after season. Mind the Killie fans crying their eyes out at making the Europa qualifiers, historical, a big club with a big opportunity, a promising future.

Only one club actually pulling their weight.

As much as I detest the spoon burning feckers, i want our teams to do well and actually qualify for group stages. We need to improve this shite league. They'll still be horsed in the first qualifiers thoughB-D:shh:
3rd place in the league will be guaranteed group stages in the Europa conference league at least ....

Because of our efforts in Europe

Really dislike Hibs and their neighbours however I wouldn’t be totally against either of them upping their game in this regard.

We’ve all seen the riches Rangers have brought in single handed to the Scottish game.

Another contributor even if it’s only a few points per season could be massive for us and ultimately the league going forward.

It hasn’t been ideal not having fans, that’s kind of killed my short stay here so far.

“But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road.

“That was the aim at the start of the season and we’re still on track for that.

“When you play down in England, in the Championship like I had been, getting into Europe isn’t something you even think about.

“It’s not going to happen when you are in those leagues, so it is a pull Scottish football has. Players want to play on that stage and, as a club, it helps to attract people up here.

“So becoming a team who plays in Europe regularly is good for us personally but also the club. It brings finances in and persuades players from elsewhere to come here, so it’s a win-win

“Getting into Europe, and hopefully doing it regularly, would be massive for the club. It has to be a big target here now.”

This interview recent or pre-covid?

tenor.gif

He better invest in a PlayStation then cause that’s the only way he’ll see big European nights at Hibs.

There has been a distinctly gradual lack of ambition coming from our league, over the last couple decades, and so it's refreshing to read this. Aim high, and away with the excuses; I hope this sentiment grows.

Last edited:
Teams like Hibs and Aberdeen really need to take a look at themselves and the direction they’re going, they’re quite happy to drift through Scottish football and take the odd point off Rangers, they have no consistency in a league game so where the hell are they gonna find it to get past a minnow in Europe? When was the last time a club outside of Glasgow got to a league stage ? Was it Aberdeen about 7 years ago ?

The only regular contact he will have with Europe is if he meets the waiter on holiday that pumped his team out.

To be fair losing at home to Motherwell must have given them flashbacks to their great euro adventures of the past.

This season whoever finishes 3rd or Scottish Cup winners very likely has at least 6 games in Europa Conference Group Stages if they don't manager to qualify for Europa League Group stages so he is not wrong.

But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road.

Didn't realise he was a keen bingo player.

As has been said, finish 3rd and in all likelihoods Hibs are guaranteed group stage European football. That's massive for them - or for Aberdeen.

I’d love them to go and qualify for the group stages. We see how important do-efficient is and with us having potentially 5 teams next year we need as much as possible

As much as i would like to have a go at a Hibs player, come on guys. We moan about the neg in football here, all the guy is saying is what were saying about getting fans back in Ibrox.

This thread emphasises how much folk don’t at least read the thread before commenting.

loads of comedians with ‘out before the schools go back’ when it’s stated early doors they’re almost guaranteed group stage action.
Whoever finishes 3rd is guaranteed it. (Unless the Scottish Cup finishes this season)

That playoff round we fought for 3 years unseeded to get to, Ufa Legia Galatasaray.

They go straight into it because of the work we did. If you lose you go into the new conference league.

If us or Celtic win the Scottish cup (if it’s played) 3rd place gets into the Europa league playoff, so they have a decent chance but unlikely

Whoever finishes 3rd is guaranteed it. (Unless the Scottish Cup finishes this season)

That playoff round we fought for 3 years unseeded to get to, Ufa Legia Galatasaray.

They go straight into it because of the work we did. If you lose you go into the new conference league.
You don’t have to tell me this. I already said they’re almost guaranteed it (due to being 3rd currently and SC unlikely to finish)

Too bad for them the Intertoto doesn't exist anymore as that was the only way for them to actually qualify for anything.

They’ve won 3 ties in 30 years. On average they get through 1 tie every 10 years.

And Hibs are meant to be one of the bigger clubs in the league.
That's what makes out league a joke at times..... look at comparable leagues around Europe .... Belgium for instance is more attractive because the overall standard of teams in their league is more equitable.

The drop off between Rangers and the rest in Scotland is a chasm but hey its all about blood and snotters football up here ..... as long as you get right stuck in that's the main thing eh..... just look at that Cup final yesterday as an example

Love his ambition but big European nights at Easter Road is a pipe dream. If Hibs progress to the 4th round qualifier it will be an achievement for them considering how poor all the other scottish teams have been doing recently.

This thread emphasises how much folk don’t at least read the thread before commenting.

loads of comedians with ‘out before the schools go back’ when it’s stated early doors they’re almost guaranteed group stage action.

It's always the same mate.

Even hours after someone rightly posted that they will be playing group stage games if they finish 3rd, the comments of "out before we need floodlights" are still pouring in. Lol

Love his ambition but big European nights at Easter Road is a pipe dream. If Hibs progress to the 4th round qualifier it will be an achievement for them considering how poor all the other scottish teams have been doing recently.

Here's the thing - they don't have to beat anyone to qualify for Europe next season assuming they take the 3rd place/Scottish cup winners spot in Europe. That's clearly what he was talking about.

Is this guy writing a follow up book to Alice in Wonderland, Big European nights under the bright lights. Looks like he's went down another Rabbit Hole with that tale..

Furthest they will get in europe is pumped out in the qualifying by some jobber welsh team or irish team
A poor Motherwell team thumped one of those N. Ireland jobber teams 5-1 earlier this season having put out another of them in the previous round. Bad as Hibs are in Europe, I wouldn’t expect teams from those countries to present any problems.

Back