Joe Newell wants to experience regular huge European nights, with full houses under the lights at Easter Road

If we want to be taken seriously as a nation and improve our league, then teams finishing 3rd/4th upwards all need to be regularly competitive in europe.

If Hibs get the Europa League place then they will be get a free shot at qualifying for the Europa League groups. Unlikely they will qualify but they could get drawn against someone like Sheriff from Moldova in the playoff round and go through. And even if they get beat, they will drop to Europa Conference League group stage and be guaranteed 6 matches.

Could get a group with Napoli and Everton in it so it isn't as diddy as some people might think.

The new Conference League will hurt Scotland's coefficient. Our entrants will be getting pumped, whereas the teams we compete with at an intra-league coefficient level (Ukraine, Switzerland) will have sides in there making a decent fist of it.

I wouldn't back Hibs or Aberdeem to outperform St Gallen or their Ukrainian equivalent.

Edit: aye, the more I think of it this could be bad news for us and that lot. Would actually like to see this become the catalyst for the authorities to do something about the quality of the game here, cause Scottish football doesn't prepare sides to compete in Europe.

Last edited:
“European nights with Full houses under the lights”

Unless he planning a massive game of bingo with Mediterranean dancers, I fear he may not accomplish this dream.

If Hibs can do anything to increase the coefficient and it goes towards getting us automatic entry to the CL group stage then where's the harmn

I really don't give a toss what happens with Hibs but it would be churlish not to accept even the slightest benefit.

“This is a club going places. There are not many clubs you can go to who can realistically achieve playing in Europe.

“This is a huge club in a brilliant city. It hasn’t been ideal not having fans, that’s kind of killed my short stay here so far.

“But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road.

“That was the aim at the start of the season and we’re still on track for that.

“When you play down in England, in the Championship like I had been, getting into Europe isn’t something you even think about.

“It’s not going to happen when you are in those leagues, so it is a pull Scottish football has. Players want to play on that stage and, as a club, it helps to attract people up here.

“So becoming a team who plays in Europe regularly is good for us personally but also the club. It brings finances in and persuades players from elsewhere to come here, so it’s a win-win

“Getting into Europe, and hopefully doing it regularly, would be massive for the club. It has to be a big target here now.”
Kids, this is what happens when you burn spoons.

Just.
Say.
No.

There's more chance of Irvine Welsh being chopped into pieces by a machete and fed to the seagulls, than Hibs playing regularly in Europe.

I have no issue with this , im sick of us single handedly having to improve and revive this nations coefficient , would be nice if another team would help out but not celtic.

“This is a club going places. There are not many clubs you can go to who can realistically achieve playing in Europe.

“This is a huge club in a brilliant city. It hasn’t been ideal not having fans, that’s kind of killed my short stay here so far.

“But I want to experience European nights, full houses under the lights here at Easter Road.

“When you play down in England, in the Championship like I had been, getting into Europe isn’t something you even think about.

“It’s not going to happen when you are in those leagues, so it is a pull Scottish football has. Players want to play on that stage and, as a club, it helps to attract people up here.

“So becoming a team who plays in Europe regularly is good for us personally but also the club. It brings finances in and persuades players from elsewhere to come here, so it’s a win-win

“Getting into Europe, and hopefully doing it regularly, would be massive for the club. It has to be a big target here now.”

He'll be auld and grey in a wheelchair when that happens.

It's just a pity they never stay in European competition long enough to help the coefficient. All these clubs are full of ambition and hope, but when the action starts you need skill and guile to go with it, also a shed load of luck.

Once every ten years would be regular but he's kidding no-one that it's going to be a frequent occurrence.

He has evidently watched matches in the Europa league involving Rangers and for some reason thanks that there may be some similarities at the drug addict stadium.
The fact is that instead of playing big names like Porto and Bayer Leverkusen, they will be up against no marks from places like Moldova and Andorra.
When it comes to generating a proper atmosphere on European nights, leave it to the professionals!!!

not next season, 3rd spot guarantees Europa Conference league at a minimum.

Taking away my dislike of Hibs, Newell makes some good points. He could have sat in the English Championship but wants to play European football and found that an attractive aspect of Scottish football. Fair play to him.
Anything that potentially improves the standard up here is to be welcomed imo.

If we want to be taken seriously as a nation and improve our league, then teams finishing 3rd/4th upwards all need to be regularly competitive in europe.

Agreed - we need other clubs in Scotland to be stepping up in Europe.

Rangers have been superb in lifting the Scottish coefficient but if this is to continue improving then all clubs need to contribute. I am OK with Hibs, Aberdeen doing well in Europe, unfortunately this would have to include the filth which I would fine hard to stomach.

He may well get a run in Europe.

Remember that our Europa last-16 efforts are taxed and spread around those who did all possible to kill us (sorry, Killie, not you). Similarly their utter embarrassment is split up into portions and UEFA smear their shit on our door-handle. This makes football fairer, apparently, and allows an oil pipeline to go from Switzerland to Germany, England, Spain, and Italy.

This means that more diddy mobs will fail in Europa play-offs. The biggest diddies of all even get bumped out of the Champions League, coming in the round before us in clown outfits.

Once they fail in those duties, it's the new UEFA Cup of Inconvenience.

There's almost no way out of that one. Christ knows what the UEFA budget is for that. A fraction on Easyjet tickets & a night in a hostel to away teams? Fiver a draw, Score for a win, a Monkey for the Champions, and what's left of the money it generates goes to Champions League winners?

Back