Joey Veerman

Slim Jim

Rumoured Rangers target Joey Veerman should stay in Holland – Robert Molenaar​

Molenaar handed Veerman his professional debut back in 2016 while in charge of Volendam.​

By Press Association Published: 3 May 2021 - 10.41am
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter
Football
Scotland
Scottish Premiership
2.55894840.jpg

Robert Molenaar is certain Joey Veerman could handle life in the Glasgow goldfish bowl – but the coach who introduced him to first-team football has advised the Dutch ace not to be lured in by Rangers’ bait.
Former Leeds and Bradford defender Molenaar handed Ibrox target Veerman his professional debut back in 2016 while in charge of Volendam in Holland’s second tier.
The midfield playmaker quickly established himself as one of Dutch football’s brightest stars, winning a move to Eredivisie outfit Heerenveen three years later.

And it is there that his performances have reportedly caught the interest of PSV Eindhoven, Atalanta and Reims, plus Gers boss Steven Gerrard.
But while Molenaar is convinced the cool customer could handle life in the notoriously pressurised Old Firm environment, he is worried Veerman will be swimming against the tide if he moves abroad too soon.
Molenaar, who spent three years at Elland Road before joining the Bantams in 2000, told the PA news agency: “I haven’t spoken to Joey lately, but if he wanted my advice I’d point him towards the big three in Holland instead of going abroad.
“I think that would be a better choice for him to develop.
“You know if you move abroad you will be judged not only on your ability, but also what the fee has been and what you show on the pitch.
“If he stayed in Holland, he would remain in his normal surroundings and I think that would be kinder for him as he looks to make another step up.
“His stress management is remarkable on the field and I think that would also mean he would be capable of enjoying the kind of life you get in Glasgow with a club like Rangers.

“There's a lot of space in his development potential, but I think a kinder step would be to stay in Holland and see if he can manage that development”
- Robert Molenaar​

“But I think if he were to go to Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord and adapt like he did when he moved to Heerenveen, then there will be even more teams for him to pick from after that.
“That’s my opinion. There’s a lot of space in his development potential, but I think a kinder step would be to stay in Holland and see if he can manage that development.
“At that point, however, he will become more expensive, so I can understand why Rangers would like to get him on board now.”
PSV boss Roger Schmidt ruled his club out of the chase last week after Heerenveen slapped an £8.5million price tag on Veerman’s head.
Gerrard refused to discuss the rumours linking him to a player who has scored nine goals and assisted a further 10 this term when quizzed on Friday.
But Molenaar has no doubt Veerman would rule if he joined Scotland’s newly crowned kings.
“I got Joey when he made the step from the junior team to the seniors,” he said. “What was very remarkable was how quickly he adapted. His ability on the ball also stood out – especially his passing.
Former defender Leeds Robert Molenaar handed Veerman his debut in Holland

Former Leeds defender Robert Molenaar handed Veerman his debut in Holland (Paul Barker/PA)
“He did have a bit of a label on him that he did everything too much at one pace – but once he got into the first team we soon realised nobody could get near him, even to kick him!
“This was in the Dutch second league and there were a few doubts when he made the step to the Eredivisie.
“But when he went to Heerenveen it was the same, he was still the best player on the pitch and in total control of the game.
“The defensive side of the game is his Achilles heel. He won’t take the ball off the opponent too much because he’s more of a number 10. If a move to Scotland did not work, that would be why.
“But attacking-wise, he would be more than capable of coping with the faster pace in Scotland.
“His stress management is remarkable. I used to say he would do the same playing on the village square in Volendam as he would in De Kuip in Rotterdam against Feyenoord. Stress doesn’t seem to affect him. He has no fear to hold him down.”

I live in Amsterdam and watch a fair bit of the Dutch league with the wee man a big Ajax fan.

Seen Veerman play a few times and has always impressed me, typical Dutch player, comfortable with both feet, great vision and not afraid to take a ping from outside the box.

I doubt we will be the only one chasing him but if that’s the type of player we are targeting then that gets me excited for the summer ahead

I live in Amsterdam and watch a fair bit of the Dutch league with the wee man a big Ajax fan.

Seen Veerman play a few times and has always impressed me, typical Dutch player, comfortable with both feet, great vision and not afraid to take a ping from outside the box.

I doubt we will be the only one chasing him but if that’s the type of player we are targeting then that gets me excited for the summer ahead
Watched some videos and he is a very classy player, the kind of player who is just great to watch. I think he will do very well in his career but I doubt it will be with us.

Every fee is usually paid over a period of time.An agreement that suits buying and selling clubs.Our problem will be how much clubs are willing to spend on buying who we are willing to let go.

Not sure if Ajax would be a good move for him right now, he won't be displacing Eddy Alvarez or Gravenberch anyway. Would be a good rotation option for Klaassen's spot but already have Kudus for that.

So we have an ex-manager telling us Fashion Sakala isn't that good. And now a player's ex-coach telling him to stay in Holland and not to come to Ibrox.

Not sure if Ajax would be a good move for him right now, he won't be displacing Eddy Alvarez or Gravenberch anyway. Would be a good rotation option for Klaassen's spot but already have Kudus for that.

yep.... I haven’t said Ajax are interested in him and certainly no rumours of that on any of the Dutch football shows.

I think he will go easily for £8m+, and to me if we are going to sell one or two of our high valued assets then this would be a really good investment.

Once he gets some showtime in Europe with us and maybe call up to Dutch national team , his value will go up rapidly.

Not quite a Bowyer, he seems quite complimentary to us between the lines to be fair. You can understand that side of the coin. Obviously WE know that coming here would be the best option for him, but if he chose to stay in Holland and move to one of their big clubs you could understand and respect the decision. Would love if we got him though.

Also nice to be fighting with the PSVs and Ajaxs of the world for players again

Do we have £8.5m to spend on this boy?

If we operate as expected this summer, we'll have a number of players moving on including a couple of our higher value players. Part of the fees recouped will be made available for players, so potentially we could afford him. Don't necessarily have to pay for the guy in 1 installment.

yep.... I haven’t said Ajax are interested in him and certainly no rumours of that on any of the Dutch football shows.

I think he will go easily for £8m+, and to me if we are going to sell one or two of our high valued assets then this would be a really good investment.

Once he gets some showtime in Europe with us and maybe call up to Dutch national team , his value will go up rapidly.

Do you think he has the energy & physicality to cope with what is sometimes barbArianism in Scottish football from the knuckle dragger players ALP ?

Nah I know I just mean because Molenaar is saying he should go to one of the big three, Ajax definitely have no place for him and I think PSV would struggle to fit him in too. Feyenoord could definitely put him in their three ahead of Diemer and probably Toornstra as well but I don't think they'd spend £8m on him.

Do we have £8.5m to spend on this boy?
We do, but that would be the whole budget without outgoings. Too much of a risk imo without confirming CL qualification, and player sales is another risk in itself. Id like to think the board will spend again this window as next season is worth more money than this one has been.

The answer is no but we couldn't afford Kent until we made the groups of the EL.
Without a sale and due to Covid, we are only 1 tie away from being guaranteed Europa League groups as a minimum. Not a gamble I'd like us to make with our current position but we will have a Castore £3m annual fee and dividend to come in, MyGers money goes on transfers so we could in theory minimize the risk
Do we have £8.5m to spend on this boy

We do, but that would be the whole budget without outgoings. Too much of a risk imo without confirming CL qualification, and player sales is another risk in itself. Id like to think the board will spend again this window as next season is worth more money than this one has been.
I'm with you mate, Iike every club we need to cut our cloth and without sales it's a huge outlay and risk, but hypothetically would you risk it on us winning our 3rd round CL qualifying tie guaranteeing Europa groups as a minimum? I think the board might take a calculated risk on Gerrard steering us through the 1st qualifying tie. Lose and we are selling 3 rather than 1

Do you think he has the energy & physicality to cope with what is sometimes barbArianism in Scottish football from the knuckle dragger players ALP ?

We wondered the same about De Boer and Gio and they coped pretty well, I doubt this lad would have an issue with that.

agree with @LD5 .... I doubt any of the bigger Dutch clubs will be spending that kind of money this summer given current financial climate. Ajax certainly are more than covered and young Ajax is once again filled with abundance of talent that will step up soon.

If our interest is genuine, and we can get him, then he would be a tremendous signing.

For all those saying we can’t afford it.... we tend to structure our fees over a few years now and we will be selling one or 2 players for big money to help us make these investments.

If Kamara goes or someone else for £15m we have then got the funds no problem.

I keep hearing of this buy low sell high model but we’ve never done it as a club.

We wondered the same about De Boer and Gio and they coped pretty well, I doubt this lad would have an issue with that.

agree with @LD5 .... I doubt any of the bigger Dutch clubs will be spending that kind of money this summer given current financial climate. Ajax certainly are more than covered and young Ajax is once again filled with abundance of talent that will step up soon.

If our interest is genuine, and we can get him, then he would be a tremendous signing.

For all those saying we can’t afford it.... we tend to structure our fees over a few years now and we will be selling one or 2 players for big money to help us make these investments.

He’s unquestionably a real talent. Exciting one to consider.

Payments spread out over 4 year like most transfers these days then absolutely we can afford him.
Depends if we're still paying off previous transfers? I've no idea if we are but might potentially have installments for Kent, Roofe, Hagi and Itten to factor in. Could be £4-5M out the door before we've even seen a new face.

Depends if we're still paying off previous transfers? I've no idea if we are but might potentially have installments for Kent, Roofe, Hagi and Itten to factor in. Could be £4-5M out the door before we've even seen a new face.
Your correct there we will be defo forking out for them players so i get yer point there.

if any bear's not excited about what's coming this summer, they haven't been paying attention for the past three years

Nah I know I just mean because Molenaar is saying he should go to one of the big three, Ajax definitely have no place for him and I think PSV would struggle to fit him in too. Feyenoord could definitely put him in their three ahead of Diemer and probably Toornstra as well but I don't think they'd spend £8m on him.
PSV have already said they can't afford him

Reactions: LD5
Admittedly I’d never heard of this guy up until this past week but he does sound like he’d be quite a coup if we pulled this off.

I would say I wouldn't expect us to be signing anyone for 8.5M. But then again I'm surprised we paid the 7M for Kent. So who knows.

We will sell folk this transfer window so anything is possible.

Reactions: cav
I would say I wouldn't expect us to be signing anyone for 8.5M. But then again I'm surprised we paid the 7M for Kent. So who knows.

We will sell folk this transfer window so anything is possible.
The board will find a way to finance what ever Gerrard feels is essential.imo.

IIRC we are paying the Hagi transfer over 3 years at about £1m a year. I would imagine Kent and Helander would have been over 2 years so probably paid for but not sure about Roofe. For Itten did we not trigger a release clause? If so, I presume you have to pay that in a oner.

IIRC we are paying the Hagi transfer over 3 years at about £1m a year. I would imagine Kent and Helander would have been over 2 years so probably paid for but not sure about Roofe. For Itten did we not trigger a release clause? If so, I presume you have to pay that in a oner.
Players prices are amortised over length of their contract. So whatever that is divided by cost - roughly.

Only watched the highlights, but seems physical as well, which is good.

Flattened a lad at a corner.

6ft 1”, so qualifies as a proper man as well.

FFS, that rules out most of Scotland, although I'm sure we could sign Hamish Watson if we want some c*nt to flatten people at corners :))

The answer is no but we couldn't afford Kent until we made the groups of the EL.
Without a sale and due to Covid, we are only 1 tie away from being guaranteed Europa League groups as a minimum. Not a gamble I'd like us to make with our current position but we will have a Castore £3m annual fee and dividend to come in, MyGers money goes on transfers so we could in theory minimize the risk
Afford is a strange word in football.

Could most teams in football afford players without some sort of debt/investment or whatever. Probably not. But they do it anyway.

Buying a player for 8.5m to improve our team is a medium to low risk investment considering we will have two opportunities over the next year to make the champions league not to mention our saleable assets which are considerable.

I don't see it being a gamble. Just a natural evolution of this team

Lee Bower not got a quote he can offer in his usual great advice to players that me come north ?

Afford is a strange word in football.

Could most teams in football afford players without some sort of debt/investment or whatever. Probably not. But they do it anyway.

Buying a player for 8.5m to improve our team is a medium to low risk investment considering we will have two opportunities over the next year to make the champions league not to mention our saleable assets which are considerable.

I don't see it being a gamble. Just a natural evolution of this team
You still have to get the money from somewhere, money we don't have. So of course there's a gamble in spending money you don't have, the affordability is how you raise that money, how you offset it, what other areas of the club do you pool resources from and decrease funding, how where and to whom does it get paid back to

If we want to dominate again we need to have 2 or 3 players in the team that are that level above. While our midfield have been great this year we need to add some quality to it if we want to go that step further in Europe

Players prices are amortised over length of their contract. So whatever that is divided by cost - roughly.
The point was about cash though, not the accounts, and whether we still have any cash to pay this summer on the transfer fees for players already in the squad (and how that might affect what we can spend bringing players in).

Back