John Beaton, compromised as a ref

Nervous and scared to give Rangers rightful decisions! I think I will start calling him
'John Beaten' then. He should not be referrering if that is his mindset.

Apart from 'Beaten' not giving a blatant penalty why he kept Cosgrove on the park with his constant bad fouling is both absolutely disgraceful and mind boggling. His actions would'nt look put of place in a kick boxing ring.

If that game was watched in the rest of the UK and beyond, Scottish referees would be seen to be inept at least and cheats at worst.

Over to Sunday then and Collum and distinct trepidation on my.part.

not give the penalty, get praised by the media and don't have weirdos send you and your family death threats

or give the penalty because it's the right decision, have the failed trialist and co saying it was the wrong decision, papers talking about it for weeks and get death threats

it's pretty obvious which one you'd go for, unfortunately

Walker called it straight away, that tells you something.

For folks saying, but Alfie fell outside the box - that’s true. But if you look at clearly how Beaton sees it - and he knows how close to the line that *he* is standing and how far Alfie was away from him - is it that hard for him to “extrapolate” how far Alfie has to fall outside the box for the contact to have been made in it.
I watched a rugby league game recently and on the TMO discussions it was clear that that came into the refs thinking - he was working it back to the contact point.

Before I start this isn’t a thread saying Rangers didn’t throw it away last night, we did.

However, we also seen one of the most inexplicable decisions made in a game of football. Morelos is about a yard inside the box, and Beaton 2 yards away from him looking directly at it, he is a yard away from the line looking on from the other side.

He didn’t give it because he is scared, and to be honest it’s only natural. He’s not a cheat he just went with his gut instinct and that was to protect himself, but he is cheating us by continuing to referee knowing he is scared.

The onslaught he faced after the new year game last year has obviously scarred him, needing police protection will do that, but he shouldn’t be continuing if the result of it is that he’s intimidated to the point we seen last night.

i definitely think there is an element of fear at being tagged " a hun" or "mason"

Before I start this isn’t a thread saying Rangers didn’t throw it away last night, we did.

However, we also seen one of the most inexplicable decisions made in a game of football. Morelos is about a yard inside the box, and Beaton 2 yards away from him looking directly at it, he is a yard away from the line looking on from the other side.

He didn’t give it because he is scared, and to be honest it’s only natural. He’s not a cheat he just went with his gut instinct and that was to protect himself, but he is cheating us by continuing to referee knowing he is scared.

The onslaught he faced after the new year game last year has obviously scarred him, needing police protection will do that, but he shouldn’t be continuing if the result of it is that he’s intimidated to the point we seen last night.
He is a cheat. He point blank refuses to send Cosgrove off even though he told him he could have been booked for his dive in the box to try and get Aberdeen a penalty.

And he's right there looking at the tackle on Morelos. He sees it's a pen but makes a conscious decision that he is NOT going to award Rangers a Penalty. Two decisions made in the full knowledge of what he is doing.

I concede he might be cheating BECAUSE he feels intimidated, but it's still CHEATING.

PicsArt120508241575547835.jpg

Even more pressure was put on him not to give us a decision thanks to these guys producing such a moronic banner

Beaton is either a cheat or compromised in that he is genuinely scared to give us a big decision, it’s too recurring for genuine mistakes. Last nights game should see him finished as a referee, Cosgrove should have been sent off for the early challenge never mind the 8 following fouls, Beaton spoke to him 3 times, no wonder Cosgrove was laughing at one instance, would Morellos be offered the same leniency or any of our players? Aberdeen’s full back, Logan (?), was on a yellow when he committed another yellow card offence yet Veaton chose to overlook this.

Beaton should never referee another of our matches, the Club should be demanding that. I’m sure there will be few on here saying that’s Timmy behaviour but it’s costing us dearly and action is required.

It’s the pace it happens at and the way the play is developing though. It’s a mistake for sure and no one can argue that but I don’t think it’s as bad as some are making out Tags. He’s got it wrong 100%, but he wasn’t the problem last night.
Utter nonsense.

It was right in front of him. If he's looking at the foul, which he is, he's got to see the white line under the players boots.

When you don't legitimately send off at least one, if not two players who deserve red cards then you ARE the problem..

I’ll be honest, until I seen the replay I thought it was a FK. Because he falls out of the box, it’s far from obvious it’s a pen.

It’s a bad mistake but I can’t lambast the guy for it when I thought the same myself.

End of the day, John Beaton isn’t the reason our team bottle it continually when it comes to big games that really matter.
No, there can’t be an excuse here.
He’s tracking the play and he sees where the challenge happened.
If he doesn’t see it, he shouldn’t be a referee.

Aberdeen were allowed to foul with impunity last night, Cosgrove himself committing more fouls than our entire team combined, yet he was still allowed to remain on the pitch. It is cheating by refs, and there's no point saying how good, bad or indifferent we played, we are being reffed differently to other teams and not being allowed to compete.
“Trying to keep players on the pitch” “Don’t want to ruin the game” “ Take into account he’s young and inexperienced” “ It’s good game management” Blah, blah, fucking, blah.
Fed up hearing referees getting the benefit of this apologist shite. Cosgrove should have been booked in the first minute, under the rules of the game.
See above as to why he wasn’t.
Rank incompetence, chronically poor guidelines and cowardice combined.

I’ll be honest, until I seen the replay I thought it was a FK. Because he falls out of the box, it’s far from obvious it’s a pen.

It’s a bad mistake but I can’t lambast the guy for it when I thought the same myself.

End of the day, John Beaton isn’t the reason our team bottle it continually when it comes to big games that really matter.
On a tv screen its a whole different matter. The ref was practically standing on top on the incident. He didnt make a mistake, he cheated. Pure and simple.

Beaton is either a cheat or compromised in that he is genuinely scared to give us a big decision, it’s too recurring for genuine mistakes. Last nights game should see him finished as a referee, Cosgrove should have been sent off for the early challenge never mind the 8 following fouls, Beaton spoke to him 3 times, no wonder Cosgrove was laughing at one instance, would Morellos be offered the same leniency or any of our players? Aberdeen’s full back, Logan (?), was on a yellow when he committed another yellow card offence yet Veaton chose to overlook this.

Beaton should never referee another of our matches, the Club should be demanding that. I’m sure there will be few on here saying that’s Timmy behaviour but it’s costing us dearly and action is required.
Logan should have had a straight red for the two-foot studs-up challenge he made near the corner flag in the first half. The fact our player hurdles the challenge is irrelevant.

yup, we did it with Gollum and we should do it with Beaton

it's bad enough losing leads but we won't win titles if the actual game itself isn't fairly policed either

I think the still picture is playing a big part in people’s views, but it’s not as simple as that. Within a split second Morelos is outside the box from where he is in that still. I don’t disagree it should have been a pen but I’ve seen plenty instances outside of Rangers over the years where refs get that type wrong. Generally, when the player is coming out the box as he’s being fouled, they give a FK as Beaton did. When they’re going into the box, they give a pen (see Naismith at Tynecastle years ago as a prime example).

My initial thought wasn’t whether or not it was inside the box, because I knew it was inside, I thought he was going to book Morelos for diving as that was the easier option. That he seen the foul and gave it outside the box when he was 2 yards away is unforgivable to be honest.

Again I get that you’re trying to be fair, but Andy Walker, of all people, called it straight away without a replay, that shows just how blatant it was.

For me it wasn’t a mistake, he was scared to give it, and that’s far worse.

My initial thought wasn’t whether or not it was inside the box, because I knew it was inside, I thought he was going to book Morelos for diving as that was the easier option. That he seen the foul and gave it outside the box when he was 2 yards away is unforgivable to be honest.

Again I get that you’re trying to be fair, but Andy Walker, of all people, called it straight away without a replay, that shows just how blatant it was.

For me it wasn’t a mistake, he was scared to give it, and that’s far worse.
Fair enough Tags, it’s one we can agree to disagree on but I think we are both in agreement it was defo a pen.

Hopefully if the same happens on Sunday it goes in our favour.

I think the still picture is playing a big part in people’s views, but it’s not as simple as that. Within a split second Morelos is outside the box from where he is in that still. I don’t disagree it should have been a pen but I’ve seen plenty instances outside of Rangers over the years where refs get that type wrong. Generally, when the player is coming out the box as he’s being fouled, they give a FK as Beaton did. When they’re going into the box, they give a pen (see Naismith at Tynecastle years ago as a prime example).

I would say it's easier to spot when the player is running out of the box to be honest.

At no point was Morelos ever outside the box until after the trip so god knows how he can decide that's where contact started.

Dermot, ref watch on Sky, just suggested he might have been too close to the action.

Holy f%}k that is close to being the most absurd excuse I've heard yet for getting a penalty shout wrong.

Like other posters when I hear the rhat, that is Andy Walker, clearly saying 'it's a penalty' then it is a penalty, absolutely no doubt.

The Scottish League and the unfit for purpose SFA are corrupt to their cores.

WATP

100% he’s cheating us. He knew fine well what he was doing. He couldn’t be bothered with the hassle.

I also thought the same but remember Beaton is two yards away and is paid a grand a week for 90 minutes work and is professionally trained to spot the incident .

Regardless of the penalty decision, Beaton allowed Aberdeen to foul their way through the game with impunity and yet he had no problem booking Rangers players for first fouls. That's more than just incompetence. It's an agenda.
Yes, it was simply ridiculous. it wasn't even 'going for the ball' fouls but blatant assaults and intimidation. And he missed as many as he gave, especially off the ball. Four officials all turning a blind eye to the quite breathtaking thuggery.

I wouldn't call it cheating although that's contradictory in a sense because Beaton knew it was a pen, he must have given how close he was to it but he shat himself after the ordeal that lot put him through last season.

I actually feel sorry for him in a way. He's just a normal guy trying to earn money in the real world like the rest of us. The intimidation tactics on him from the Tim's have been nothing short of disgraceful. Nobody will call it out though.

You’ve contradicted yourself in that post.

I don’t think he is compromised, I just think he is crap.
If we hadn’t shot ourself in the foot and allowed Aberdeen back in the game then we would have a thread moaning about him (we always do) but with nowhere near the venom, it’s only amplified massively because we dropped points.

It was a clear penalty but refs are human and i really dont think Beaton set out to cheat us.
Its years of intimidation thats paying off for Celtic where by if there is any decision that looks like it goes for us, the easy decision is not to give it.
Its all about consequences and there are 20 times more if he gives Rangers a pen and it wasnt rather than if he denies us a pen that can be put down to a simple error. If he gave us a pen and it was a mm outside all hell would break loose and his past errors from the Old Firm game last December will resurface again.

We have Willie Collum on Sunday, and he is a Tim however i really dont think he is a cheat........he is just pish and should be no where near this game but the choice of a decent ref is limited.

This paragraph contradicts yourself.

My take on it is that he was scared of the media attention and also the score in the game. If we had been in a comfortable 2-0 lead, which we should have been if not more, then he would have given it but because they had fought back to 2-2 then he was scared to give us a pen.

He is a byproduct of the years of intimidation from the knewcamp funneled through the mentally challenged infested media I would say a better word than cheat although that does apply to him and others a better word is coward .
He showed four fingers up to Cosgrove after another foul commited by that big lump so that means he had commuted 5 fouls so he booked him .What Rangers player gets to commit 5 fouls before getting booked ever we are lucky to get 3 .
The penalty and by his apology to SG it was defo a penalty he was 2 yards away with a clear view it was again a cowardly act he was not the first this season and will not be the last to ignore stonewall penalties it is happening to many times to be flukes .It shows me that there must be a policy not to award penalties to us unless the opponent punches the rangers player in the face, or he actually catches the ball

He once gave Hibs a free kick for this in the most corrupt refereeing performance I've ever seen
image.jpg

He obviously fears for his job and mum , dad , Kids ,nephews , neices etc at the hands of the greaterest fans in ra wurld.So rather than deal with the issue he and others take the path of least resistance.Human nature I suppose but we are being cheated and reffed to a different standard making us have to be 20% better than Ra sheltc to win anything.

Having been a referee, albeit not to any great level, I can understand getting the penalty decision wrong. It's a bad call, of course, especially when you see how close he is, but, it's right on the line and his momentum ends up with him landing well outside the box. It's the same with marginal offside calls (think Alfie at Tynecastle last year) there is just no way to get these right 100% of the time without VAR.

What I can't excuse though is how he dealt with Cosgrove. Senior refs often used to talk about 'game management' so in theory, I understand not wanting to get cards out too early however, Aberdeen committed two stone wall yellow card offences in the first two minutes last night. We arent talking about a full blooded but honest attempt to win the ball here, they are deliberate fouls to stop an attack or injure someone. Cosgrove's one on Davis us borderline red but instead of booking him, he allows him to continue fouling his way through the game. What then happens is, other players see this and think 'I can get away with that too' and it becomes farcical. I counted NINE fouls from Cosgrove which is just an out half of Aberdeen's total. Absolutely shocking that he finished the game.

His whole performance last night sums up what a coward he is. Should have booked considine after 30 seconds.shat it. should have booked cosgrove for elbow on Goldsons face..shat itshould have booked cosgove for the dive late on when he went down with Goldson nowhere near him.
What I want to know is when he apologised for shiting it with the penalty. Did he see it on the TV? Did his linesman tell him?Or the 4th official Walsh who was too busy the whole night laughing and joking with all in the aberdeen dug out. Or did he know it was a penalty and was scared of the reaction from the scum press etc.if he gave it. The bottom line is this is not his first abysmal performance in our game and it won't be his last. A coward who should be dropped from top games.

Its time to find out who is training the refs cos the problem is a lot greater than a bad penalty call(if its craig thomson that would explain everything that goes on the games pretty much finished in Scotland) its Beaton today next week its another one guys like Madden and McLean are far more biased more often. They cheat to survive to avoid hassle from top at sfa, media and celtic club/support/forums.

I worry that the manager moves on, either cos hes not successful and fans are unhappy and/or simply cos a big club in England decide they want him and hes sick of the corruption.... we get another guy in and go back to the start.

That Rangers have ignored this issue is absolutely incredible and pretty reckless too. We do not win a tight race for the title it wont happen theres too many times where refs will influence and manipulate our results and Celtics.

Just try and imagine that happened to Cosgrove in our box at 2-2 and Beaton gives the same decision. Or, even more far fetched admittedly, that goes against Celtic on Sunday. What do you think the media reaction would be? Do we think it would be the same level of scrutiny as Beaton will face for giving the wrong decision against us, which other than a few column inches will amount to very little?

Back