John Collins on BBC Radio Scotland 'Eduard's a better player than Morelos"

Was more concerned about Broadfoot's comments saying a fully fit Julien gets into our defence.

Collins is an idiot Edouard is a good player he's carried them this season but Morelos offers more in terms of work rate off the ball and makes defenders work. I did laugh at Collins when he said they created the clearer chances then rhymed off shots from outside the box.

I think the fact that Edouard looks a little tidier on the ball than Morelos fuels this myth hes a better player. They are both Strikers and Strikers are paid to score goals. Morelos does this more often than Edouard and also doesn't need penalties to get his stats up so no matter how much they say it, Edouard is not a better player than Morelos.

He can do all the fancy stopovers he wants but the fact it amounts to %^*& all just tells me he's an overhyped show pony.

The Sportsound podcast last night is worth a listen from around 38mins.

Tom English pushing Daryl Broadfoot on whether the SFA has even asked the government to get fans in for the cup final.

His answer was "NO" they haven't even asked....
I listened to it this morning. And I couldn't really disagree with anything Tom English said. Whether Super League, Scottish Cup or "Old Firm select" (If it was tomorrow - no Celtic players).

Broadfoot comes across as what he is. An SFA PR man.

"The Scottish Government says........."..........well, that CAN be changed!

Sick of hearing how he is the best player in the country. He has scored 1 more open play goal than Roofe in the league this season from almost double the minutes, 850 minutes more. Yes, just shy of 10 full games.

I think the fact that Edouard looks a little tidier on the ball than Morelos fuels this myth hes a better player. They are both Strikers and Strikers are paid to score goals. Morelos does this more often than Edouard and also doesn't need penalties to get his stats up so no matter how much they say it, Edouard is not a better player than Morelos.

He can do all the fancy stopovers he wants but the fact it amounts to %^*& all just tells me he's an overhyped show pony.
Bang on.

One of the most insightful posts on here.

Yes, Edouard is a very good striker at SPL level (most the time).
Morelos is more effective, Edouard is more aesthetically pleasing at times.

More effective is the same as better. Morelos is a better player. At the end of the day, the aim of the game is to score goals and win matches. Its about how effective you are, not how technically cute you look.

Was more concerned about Broadfoot's comments saying a fully fit Julien gets into our defence.

Collins is an idiot Edouard is a good player he's carried them this season but Morelos offers more in terms of work rate off the ball and makes defenders work. I did laugh at Collins when he said they created the clearer chances then rhymed off shots from outside the box.
Stupidity, ignorance of the highest order.
Undeniable and incontrovertible evidence that he knows nothing about football.

I'm quite happy for that stupid fanny to think whatever he wants. We've won the league and his poxy team are about to enter a period of complete obscurity, so if clinging to meaningless platitiudes like that gets him through the night, so be it.

Last edited:
Bang on.

One of the most insightful posts on here.

Yes, Edouard is a very good striker at SPL level (most the time).
Morelos is more effective, Edouard is more aesthetically pleasing at times.

More effective is the same as better. Morelos is a better player. At the end of the day, the aim of the game is to score goals and win matches. Its about how effective you are, not how technically cute you look.

Exactly. There is no denying the kid is a decent player with real potential, bjt better than Morelos, No.

I've said it for a while when the argument about who is best has been brought up. They are both strikers and strikers are judged mainly on the goals they score. Obviously nowadays there is alot more to what teams want from a striker but goals are a must.

I dont actually know Edouards goals record per games played etc. But the fact most of his goals come from the penalty spot also must surely make that number look pretty miserable for a striker playing for one of the leagues big two clubs.

So I think its fair to say the striker who finds the net more consistently, and from open play may I add aswell as being an absolute handful for any Central defender he has ever faced wins my vote.

I dont think just because you look a bit better on the eye when running with the ball and doing a couple of stopovers makes you a player worth tens of millions. Do the basics of a striker first.

Exactly. There is no denying the kid is a decent player with real potential, bjt better than Morelos, No.

I've said it for a while when the argument about who is best has been brought up. They are both strikers and strikers are judged mainly on the goals they score. Obviously nowadays there is alot more to what teams want from a striker but goals are a must.

I dont actually know Edouards goals record per games played etc. But the fact most of his goals come from the penalty spot also must surely make that number look pretty miserable for a striker playing for one of the leagues big two clubs.

So I think its fair to say the striker who finds the net more consistently, and from open play may I add aswell as being an absolute handful for any Central defender he has ever faced wins my vote.

I dont think just because you look a bit better on the eye when running with the ball and doing a couple of stopovers makes you a player worth tens of millions. Do the basics of a striker first.

I haven't looked closely at the data recently, but obviously Edouard has scored a few more goals this year. When you take away pens, I think they have the same number from open play.

Over their time in Scotland Morelos has outscored Edouard despite the fact that the French man has played in the more successful team each season until this one.

Morelos scored more European group phase goals in just last season alone than Edouard has in 3 seasons.

Last I looked, Morelos record was slightly better overall and far better at the highest level the 2 players compete - in Europe, despite Morelos not taking penalties (bar the odd one) and playing in a less successful team for more seasons.

Edouard is a good player. But its no contest who is the better and more effective forward.

Last edited:

I thought Kevin Thomson’s comment a few weeks ago on RTV was interesting GF.

Paul Hanlon was asked ‘who has been your toughest opponent ?’.

He said Morelos, and by a distance. Edouard not even mentioned.

John Collins looks like any day now he is going to morph from a human being into a tree.

The earth is gonna reclaim him think that's where the pain is his voice comes from.

We should go in for Edouard as an understudy to Alfie
Would love to see their reaction if we picked off their best player

I suppose it depends on what type of player you prefer.

Personally, I'd take Morelos over their mob's striker any day.

I feel that Alfredo is an absolute powerhouse, who can also play with ball at feet, and is precisely the kind of player I like to see lead the line at Rangers. He causes opponents all kinds of problems.

Also, as others have noted, Morelos has been excellent for us in Europe, and has contributed to some big and important goals for the club in European competition.

It all comes down to what you prefer, I think both players are of a very similar level but they just have two completely different styles.

I actually think the two of them fit the clubs they’re at perfectly. We like the rough around the edges bully that we have in Morelos and they like their more technical (or flair) player.

The last 6 months have been huge for Morelos. He seems to have really settled, got his discipline under control and looks happy. He’s a far better player now than he even was a year ago.

Eduard seems to have a bit more variety in terms of how he finishes whereas Alfie's goals tend to rely on power, but if the end result is Alfie having a better chance to goals scored ratio then Alfie's a better finisher regardless of how he does it.

It's been mentioned earlier but think Morelos would be a nightmare to play against with his physicality and running power, whereas I think a decent centre half can put Eduard in his pocket fairly easily.

I believe it would be more difficult to find another player like Alfie than Eduard.

John "Gies a job" Collins.
I'm over here Peter, Dom, John, Eddie, Jose, Lucien, Roy, Enzo.

Must be a nightmare not knowing whose arse to lick.

Back