John Collins questions Ross Wilsons recruitment credentials

That is so laughable its unbelievable. I seen he was linked with the tramps director of football role. I hope to %^*& he gets it. Have we any wishes left over from this season we could use on that? :))

Diego Maradona arguably the best player ever was a total bombscare of a manager.

Jose Mourinho never kicked a ball and look at his managerial career.

Brendan Rodgers barely kicked a ball either.

Michael Beale as a coach hasn't kicked a ball.

What a total creep, bordering on nonce with his 6 pack behaviour. I'm sure that would get you sacked nowadays.

Last edited:
I’ve never played football but I can spot a good player! A stupid fucking attitude, I can also spot a bell end and Collins is a grade A one!

I bet Wilson is gutted that a managerial giant such Collins is questioning his role and achievements.

Comes across very self important and arrogant to me, like he looks down on those who haven’t achieved what he has in the game.

There are so many examples of great players who can’t judge a player and non-players or rubbish player who can that it’s just laughable.

Rangers - Gather lots of info + assess all known data + judge players mindset and character.

Them - Throw money at players based on gut feeling and hope for a diamond in the rough.

= 55 baby ;)

Tbf he's not entirely wrong. The DoF role will be slightly different at different clubs. Some DoF's will be of the management type seen everywhere in the corporate world, some will be more from the football world itself. They will all have one thing in common - excellent contacts in the game.

John Collins has questioned Ross Wilson’s Rangers recruitment credentials due to him never having played professionally.

The former Watford and Southampton executive arrived at Ibrox in October 2019 to provide the link between Steven Gerrard, his coaching team and the board.

Less than 18 months later, Wilson has contributed to the club winning their first Scottish Premiership title in a decade.

But former Celtic midfielder John Collins has questioned how much influence Wilson has over which players Gerrard signs and was sceptical about his ability to spot a player given his lack of playing career.

“The question is, what role is Ross Wilson doing?” He asked on Sportsound. “I don’t think he’s signing players. I think Steven Gerrard is finding and signing players.

“This team is Steven Gerrard’s. I don’t think it’s down to Ross Wilson.

“I could be wrong, but I think Ross is more of an organiser behind the scenes with databases and things like that, which bring in a cluster of players.

I’d like to know how he knows a top quality football player. He hasn’t played football at any level at all.

“If you're looking for a midfield player then I think it helps if you've played the game and been in the middle of the park. There are good recruitment scouts that haven’t kicked a ball but I think deep knowledge of football helps if you’ve been on the park and been on a training pitch for 15 years.

“There are two things in recruitment in modern football. They talk about data. Data is really important but if I'm a little winger playing in a poor team with a small striker and the opposite winger that doesn’t get in the box, my crossing stats aren’t going to be good.

“So the stats can be wrong. They can tell you the wrong things and that his crossing isn’t good, but I’ve just told you and explained that.

“You can talk about data, data, data, but it’s how you read the data and how the trained eye eventually watches them.

“But the key in modern football is finding the players who aren’t playing first team football and there’s no data. There’s no data on 17 and 18-year-olds and that’s what you have to get to at Celtic and Rangers.

“Because once they’re in the first team at 21 playing in France, they’re outwith your reach.

“So the real key is finding the diamonds before you;ve got any real data.”
I think you’re confusing his job with that of a scout John. Not hard to confuse an idiot.

Engineers sometimes make the worst any project managing fellow engineers.

What seems to be constant in every industry is those with ego's way over their actually ability tend to get in the way of good delivery, ring any six bells for you JC

Says fucking spongebob squarehead there. The fucking hibs failure and mentally challenged assistant failure.

What’s your credentials, Bob?

"Their pain is f.ucking glorious !!" :))

EOkhY3QXkAAGg70.jpg

John Collins has questioned Ross Wilson’s Rangers recruitment credentials due to him never having played professionally.

The former Watford and Southampton executive arrived at Ibrox in October 2019 to provide the link between Steven Gerrard, his coaching team and the board.

Less than 18 months later, Wilson has contributed to the club winning their first Scottish Premiership title in a decade.

But former Celtic midfielder John Collins has questioned how much influence Wilson has over which players Gerrard signs and was sceptical about his ability to spot a player given his lack of playing career.

“The question is, what role is Ross Wilson doing?” He asked on Sportsound. “I don’t think he’s signing players. I think Steven Gerrard is finding and signing players.

“This team is Steven Gerrard’s. I don’t think it’s down to Ross Wilson.

“I could be wrong, but I think Ross is more of an organiser behind the scenes with databases and things like that, which bring in a cluster of players.

I’d like to know how he knows a top quality football player. He hasn’t played football at any level at all.

“If you're looking for a midfield player then I think it helps if you've played the game and been in the middle of the park. There are good recruitment scouts that haven’t kicked a ball but I think deep knowledge of football helps if you’ve been on the park and been on a training pitch for 15 years.

“There are two things in recruitment in modern football. They talk about data. Data is really important but if I'm a little winger playing in a poor team with a small striker and the opposite winger that doesn’t get in the box, my crossing stats aren’t going to be good.

“So the stats can be wrong. They can tell you the wrong things and that his crossing isn’t good, but I’ve just told you and explained that.

“You can talk about data, data, data, but it’s how you read the data and how the trained eye eventually watches them.

“But the key in modern football is finding the players who aren’t playing first team football and there’s no data. There’s no data on 17 and 18-year-olds and that’s what you have to get to at Celtic and Rangers.

“Because once they’re in the first team at 21 playing in France, they’re outwith your reach.

“So the real key is finding the diamonds before you;ve got any real data.”
What?

Tbf he's not entirely wrong. The DoF role will be slightly different at different clubs. Some DoF's will be of the management type seen everywhere in the corporate world, some will be more from the football world itself. They will all have one thing in common - excellent contacts in the game.
He is showing a basic misunderstanding of analytics and how to use data. This is because he has zero experience in working in a club which uses them effectively.

His luddite "I'm sure Ross Wilson is good at databases and things" attitude is perfect for them and I hope he gets the job.

John WHO?! Was listening to the clown on sportsound last night and he's so far up his own ar#e ... but he always has been

I've read some amount of sh!te from tims over the past few days, weeks, months, but i think this takes the biscuit.
So, no football fans opinion can matter as much as an ex player? What utter arrogant nonsense? Has John Collins met some ex footballers? I wouldn't trust them to judge the difference between day & night.
I really hope Collins get the DOF gig at Parkhead. An arrogant wee arsehole who will cause them nothing but bother.

I can do that, gizza job, go on giz it, go on gizza job.
If he knew anything about Rangers processes, he would know we are data informed and not data lead. The scouting team and Andy Scoulding have had plenty of acknowledgement over the last few months.
I don’t think discovering Hagi is a quality player is Ross’s strength, I think getting Hagi at a knock down price from what had already been agreed in principle, is where he stands up. A deal maker, a persuader, a gentlemen with a steel core. His team give him the info, he chats with Stevie, Stevie says “go on then.” Ross pops into see the board or Stewart, and then gets his wee book of dodgy photos of DOFs/Chairmen out, and makes inquiries.
Deal done.

John Collins as DOF is the stuff our dreams should be made of he basically says that he completely disregards stats when signing players any joker plucked off the street could easily go "aye he looks decent sign him"

What an absolute banger.

Rather than starting from the position that he must be doing something right because we’ve just won the league, Collins believes he knows better and is effectively contending that Rangers are paying Wilson a six figure sum for hee haw?

They must be utterly desperate.
What do you mean ‘they must be’?

They are. B-D

This is the type of verbal diarrhoea from Collins that makes him as likely to find employment in football management as Alex Salmond finding work as a gynecologist.

John Collins as DOF is a dream come true for us.

He riles up everyone he talks to, his record in the management side of football is appalling.

Reactions: fmp
I dislike this absolute weirdo immensely. There's really nothing positive to say about him, from the irritating way he speaks to his penchant for summoning young hibs players to his office to show them his body. A fuckin non entity obviously after a piece of the action at the piggery.

John Collins always comes across a wee bit simple. I don't even mean that cheeky.

I mean, he's a prick, but I'm being serious.

Reactions: fmp
John Collins is universally accepted by all fans as a complete an utter bell end of a man. Best ignored

“I could be wrong, but I think Ross is more of an organiser behind the scenes with databases and things like that, which bring in a cluster of players.”

The fact that he’s hand waving ‘databases and things like that’ is absolute proof that Collins is not in any way equipped to be a Director of Football in the modern sense of the role. So much of football is data driven nowadays, frankly the old ‘you’ve never played the game’ attitude is hilariously outdated and I’m genuinely surprised he brought it up.

Not much point in trying to pick holes in a winning structure John boy. Signing players who are rebels might not win you trophies. Look in that direction for a failing policy.

I heard this last night was also going on about how Tavernier can't defend.

A bitter old kunt

Get up right up you Collins.
As a massive part of a defense that’s conceded 9 goals in the league this season . Absolute fuckin,g cabbage of a man .

Was he not promoting himself for the Director of Football job at Celtic the other day? Hope he gets it .

wonder if John knows that Ross Wilson has a team of scouts who can spot a football player ...

absolute idiot of a guy John Collins.

Back