John Fleck v Arsenal

Watched the full game. Sheffield United looking pretty good this season from what I’ve seen. They work very hard for each other and play some nice football too.

They were say on talkSPORT that he doesn’t get enough credit

They are correct. One of the on form midfielders in England and now adding goals to his game. Gets nowhere near the same praise Scottish media darlings like McGinn and McGregor get. Our media should be absolutely raving about him and demanding he plays more for Scotland.

McGregor or Fleck? I know who i'd rather have....

They are correct. One of the on form midfielders in England and now adding goals to his game. Gets nowhere near the same praise Scottish media darlings like McGinn and McGregor get. Our media should be absolutely raving about him and demanding he plays more for Scotland.

McGregor or Fleck? I know who i'd rather have....

You know I was thinking about this as I was watching the game, and I disagree with your last sentence entirely. It’s not that he’s underrated, nor that he isn’t shining this season, the truth is Scotland couldn’t use the luxury the wee man is. He is a lovely footballer, and is great in the last third, but he is too slow and doesn’t exhaust himself running around like a headless chicken, which is what Scotland need to be difficult to beat. Not Fleck’s fault, but I believe Scotland would be less effective with him instead of McGregor. Frankly, only our extreme bias on here, and his family connection stops all of us on FF from admitting what a good player McGinn is, and clearly was at Hibs too.

You know I was thinking about this as I was watching the game, and I disagree with your last sentence entirely. It’s not that he’s underrated, nor that he isn’t shining this season, the truth is Scotland couldn’t use the luxury the wee man is. He is a lovely footballer, and is great in the last third, but he is too slow and doesn’t exhaust himself running around like a headless chicken, which is what Scotland need to be difficult to beat. Not Fleck’s fault, but I believe Scotland would be less effective with him instead of McGregor. Frankly, only our extreme bias on here, and his family connection stops all of us on FF from admitting what a good player McGinn is, and clearly was at Hibs too.

I haven't noticed this widespread denial that he isn't a good player. In fact, basically everyone has praised John McGinn who has clearly done very well at Villa.

I think McGregor has been very inconsistent for Scotland. Fleck looks to have a good engine on him and is a versatile player. He's been played in a more attacking role recently, making late runs into the box and scoring goals, but he's also techinally very good and can play a deeper role.

Completely disagree! He covers acres and is as fit as he’s ever been. He’s playing higher up the park than last season so doing less running, but he’s capable and in no way a luxury player.

QUOTE="Arkansasgerstill, post: 5092130, member: 6316"]
[/QUOTE]

They asked Charlie Ridiculous about him earlier and he kind of brushed him off and moved on to speak more about she’d Uniteds team rather than individuals. Couldn’t even give him much praise when prompted to speak about him specifically.

An absolute baller. I've watched Sheffield United on a few occassions this season live on TV and John Fleck has been an absolute stand out. He was outstanding vs. Arsenal at Bramall Lane when they won 1-0.

A very well organised, drilled and coaches group of players who know how to carry out what their manager is asking of them.

Mousset and Norwood are always reliable too.

* Sheffield United not Wednesday.

Last edited:
An absolute baller. I've watched Sheffield Wednesday on a few occassions this season live on TV and John Fleck has been an absolute stand out. He was outstanding vs. Arsenal at Bramall Lane when they won 1-0.

A very well organised, drilled and coaches group of players who know how to carry out what their manager is asking of them.

Mousset and Norwood are always reliable too.

He plays for the Blades :rolleyes:

he’s a cracking player. I love Walter bur he was not one for youth and Fleck should have done more in a Rangers shirt (I realise the boy takes some of the blame too).

He was shoved out on the wings quite regularly if I recall. Remember him grabbing the ball for the penalty - showed great balls to do that.

He was shoved out on the wings quite regularly if I recall. Remember him grabbing the ball for the penalty - showed great balls to do that.

played at left wing back away against sporting Lisbon I think?

was a central midfielder all day and if he’d been right footed I don’t think anyone would even have entertained the fact he should be playing wide, he’s not the right athlete for that.

Sorry, cant agree

And while we're on the subject, McGregor is a regular for the most ineffective Scotland teams in living memory

They asked Charlie Ridiculous about him earlier and he kind of brushed him off and moved on to speak more about she’d Uniteds team rather than individuals. Couldn’t even give him much praise when prompted to speak about him specifically.

Because Rediculous is a rabid cnut perhaps.

Still living on his claim to fame?

Heard this on the radio earlier and ended up in a daydream about how we deal with young players.

I think our support generally equate young coming through talent with either fantastic skill(forward) or colossal strength.(defender)

I’ve no idea why we’ve got to that but I think they expect real out your seat stuff and when they don’t get it, either through swashbuckling runs or great last ditch defensive leaps (I’m thinking in particular about John Fleck, Danny Wilson and an early Alan Hutton) then they’re just deemed average and not worth sticking with.

Think it would take someone of Gerrards stature to lay it on a plate as to what these boys need from a support for it to sink in with most of them.

More like Arsenal cost your coupon, or you picking the serial bottlers.

Nothing to do with Fleck ;)

agreed. Arsenal are guaranteed coupon bursters. I was tempted to pick them today and remembered howbad they are for being bottling shite arseholes of a team.

McGinn , gets plenty of praise on here , the thread when he was injured proved this .

Been impressed by Fleck he is starting to look like the player he showed at Rangers

.As for Arsenal they are a bunch of faking Bastards how many times are they going to fake contact to gain free kicks & or penalties the blatant dive in the box should have resulted in a card ditto the fake contact with the lady's front bottom holding his face falling to the deck rolling about no wonder The EPL is the worst officiated league imo for cheating bastards.

I remember Sheffield utd fans were on talksport last season wondering why he wasnt getting a game for scotland.

He's certainly settled well into the epl. Managers done well with them, sticking by many of the players who got them there.

His contract expires in a year, in a dreamworld he'd want to come home for a few years to see out his career at his boyhood club under Steven Gerrard.

Realistically he'll go to an Everton or Southampton if he does move on, or he'll sign a bumper contract to stay at a mediocre club in a massive league for a few more years.

he’s a cracking player. I love Walter bur he was not one for youth and Fleck should have done more in a Rangers shirt (I realise the boy takes some of the blame too).
He was in Silver drinking wkds every Thursday with Adam. He had his chance and blew it

We fans often overlook how difficult it often is for young players to make the grade at Rangers. This is down to the demands and expectations that often go with being Rangers in that the club is almost expected to 'win every trophy', even 'win every game', where the other smaller clubs regard playing against you as their 'cup final'. The pressure is unrelenting. But Fleck might well have been one of the exceptions. In his first start for Rangers against Falkirk in January 2009, he earned the man of the match award for his performance, and began to be spoken of as 'Scotland's Wayne Rooney'.

Unfortunately Fleck's early career at Rangers was blighted by controversy when he was benched after a bust-up with then asst. manager McCoist, a serious hamstring injury further compromised his development at the club. and with the craziness that followed the Charles Green takeover, Fleck decided his future lay elsewhere, refused to sign a new contract and bailed out. joining Coventry City in 2012.

Away from the Glasgow fishbowl, he was able to gradually hone his skills and was voted Coventry's POTY in season 2015-16. With his subsequent move to Sheffield Utd. in 2016, we began to see the full flowering of Fleck's talent, becoming the kind of player we all hoped he would be - if only it had been in a Rangers shirt!

McGregor or Fleck? I know who i'd rather have...
He has bossed mcginn in every single game they have played against each other since mcginn moved there, whilst unfancied sheff utd have bettered big spending Villa both in the championship and now in the prem.

Somehow mcginn is a £40m player whereas fleck doesn't even get touted for Scotland's midfield.

Meanwhile McBurney is is still whipping boy for Scotland whilst putting in another good performance today.

Back