John Fleck

Glrach_

With the prospect of Sheffield Utd being relegated after their abysmal start to the season I think John Fleck would make a fantastic signing in the Summer. Especially if we have to sell Kamara or Zungu doesn't crack on like we all hope he does. Fan favourite at Sheffield and he's also recently spoken about his desire to play for us again. Would prefer him over Jack Wilshere personally. What's your thoughts?

I’ve never seen or read any comments attributed to him about his time with Rangers. For breaking through at such a young age and leaving when everything imploded off the field, he might feel he has ”unfinished business”, but I assume he’s on on good PL money and our wage structure might not be in line with his expectations.

I’ve never seen or read any comments attributed to him about his time with Rangers. For breaking through at such a young age and leaving when everything imploded off the field, he might feel he has ”unfinished business”, but I assume he’s on on good PL money and our wage structure might not be in line with his expectations.
From an article earlier this year: "Former Rangers star John Fleck admits he dreams of returning to Ibrox before he hangs up his boots.

The Sheffield United standout has become a smash-hit south of the border thanks to his all-action displays that have become a highlight during the Blades' first season back in the Premier League.

Chris Wilder's side were in seventh place before lockdown and Fleck was in the form of his life after finally fulfilling his early career potential under Walter Smith and was even linked with Arsenal in January.

Fleck was regarded as one of the finest stars to emerge from the Ibrox academy but struggled to live up to those lofty expectations before joining Coventry in the summer of 2012 before his career really kicked on.

The 28-year-old admits he has some unfinished at his boyhood club but is focusing on keeping the good times coming in the Steel City.

But he made it abundantly clear he has no regrets over how his career has panned during a conversation with ex-teammate Kris Boyd.

He told Sky Sports : "I’m not sure I would have done anything different. At the time I was young and obviously you (Boyd) were a big part of that Rangers team, a very successful team at that time.

"I think it would have been difficult for any sort of young kid to come through and stick in the team at that time. We had some very good players and were very successful as I said.

"I’m very happy at Sheffield United and as long as I continue to be then great. If that chance came further down the line to come back to Rangers then I’d love it to be honest.

"I wouldn’t say unfinished business because I was obviously a small part of a successful team back then and delighted to have some great memories with that squad and the club at that time."

He can't get a game for Scotland.
I must admit to not watching him avidly so I'm happy to be corrected on his abilities as a player.

Would love to see him in this Rangers team. He’s perfectly capable of moving to a better side in England, but if he really wants to come back then there’s nothing standing in his way

I must admit to not watching him avidly so I'm happy to be corrected on his abilities as a player.

Scott Arfield had to change allegiance to Canada at the age of 28 because he wasn’t picked for Scotland. This is despite him playing regularly in the Premier League for Burnley the season prior. Sometimes a manager just has a group of players that he sticks with and it’s harder for others to break in no matter what they do at club level. John Fleck would be more than good enough for the current Rangers side.

Would take Fleckie back in a heartbeat + hopefully there's some truth in the rumour that his teammate John Lundstram might be coming to us on a free next summer.
Lundstram's a great box to box midfielder and apparently Gerrard was his idol growing up.
Wouldn't really want to lose any of our current MFs, but those 2 would be great signings that could replace Davis and anyone we might decide to move on for top $.

Don't think Sheffield United pay big wages. Apparently their highest earner is on around £30k a week. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck is on less than half of that.

Without a doubt I'd take Fleck over Wilshere!
But I think both players would struggle to get into this Rangers team!?
Wilshere would be ok on pay as you play basis, which might not be often though, even if fit!
Can't see him better than any player we already have.

if Sheff Utd get relegated he’ll get a good move to a West Ham type team, really good player & I respect him for making a good career after Murray nearly ruined him.

Getting a game for Scotland’s midfield isn’t easy by the way, the three in there are working well together the now.

So Scotland caps isn’t a barometer to judge him on.

————————

I’d love Flecky back at Rangers for personal nostalgic reasons. Right now though, we’re too crowded in that area unless he comes as a Davis replacement & even then I’m not sure he’s got the same qualities.

Scott Arfield had to change allegiance to Canada at the age of 28 because he wasn’t picked for Scotland. This is despite him playing regularly in the Premier League for Burnley the season prior. Sometimes a manager just has a group of players that he sticks with and it’s harder for others to break in no matter what they do at club level.John Fleck would be more than good enough for the current Rangers side.
I’ve yet to see any evidence of that.

If he wants to come back and the terms are favourable for the club why not possible Davis replacement has a bit of unfinished business here aswell and a chance to play his natural position

Scott Arfield had to change allegiance to Canada at the age of 28 because he wasn’t picked for Scotland. This is despite him playing regularly in the Premier League for Burnley the season prior. Sometimes a manager just has a group of players that he sticks with and it’s harder for others to break in no matter what they do at club level. John Fleck would be more than good enough for the current Rangers side.
Got to agree here.
A better player than Kenny McLean for me, although I only get to see what the TV cameras allow us to.

Don't quite like all this "before I finish my career" pish.

Either, you would crawl over broken glass to play for Rangers, or go play for the Tims, like the Keanes, Duffers, Diane Dublin or Ian Wright.
He doesn’t actually say that though.
Other than to say that isn’t what he’s saying!

Nope not for me.

Acted the billy big baws at mcdiarmed park one day by patching a few young kids wanting autograph.

Wee Nacho stopped no problem but he laughed and carried on.

Fud

Difficult question to answer

Is he better than wilshere ? Without any doubt

Could we afford him ? Probably not

Would he come to us at this stage in career ? Doubtful - I think he will be in high demand down safff

His game has evolved perfectly to fill the Davis role, in fact his move from wide midfielder into the centre, then dropping back has followed the same path. I remember watching him as a 15 year old and he had all the skill in the world but no vision. He's got it now.

For those concerned about salary, we only just paid less in average salaries than Sheffield United two seasons ago and I suspect we may pay more than them now.

His game has evolved perfectly to fill the Davis role, in fact his move from wide midfielder into the centre, then dropping back has followed the same path. I remember watching him as a 15 year old and he had all the skill in the world but no vision. He's got it now.

For those concerned about salary, we only just paid less in average salaries than Sheffield United two seasons ago and I suspect we may pay more than them now.

Ha, you just beat me to it.

An article from the summer had their average salary at £700,000. That's well within our range

He turns 30 as the season starts next season and would cost 8-10 million (atleast). He isn't on large wages, so that wouldn't be an issue but that fee at his age is a no go.

His contract ends in 2023. If he hasn't signed for another team, I can see us picking him up on a free then. Is a very good player and fills a homegrown at club slot.

That’s more down to a pish stained alcoholic.Strapon done the same with Jordan Rhodes who was scoring for fun at the time.Tossers like these pair will always pick their buddies rather than do what’s best for the team.

With the prospect of Sheffield Utd being relegated after their abysmal start to the season I think John Fleck would make a fantastic signing in the Summer. Especially if we have to sell Kamara or Zungu doesn't crack on like we all hope he does. Fan favourite at Sheffield and he's also recently spoken about his desire to play for us again. Would prefer him over Jack Wilshere personally. What's your thoughts?
You do realise kamara and zungu are two totally different midfielders ?

I knew Sheff United didn't pay massive wages so I looked online to see how much Fleck was on.
Looks like we might be able to afford him as he's only on 10k a week if the figure is accurate.

Edit - He's got 2 and a half year left on his contract so the transfer fee might be a stumbling block.

Having watched him play for the blades a few times now - it's kind of obvious he'd be an enormous loss for them

He really is their driving force with him pulling the strings & giving them the battling qualities they need in that league

He'd be a great addition for us
If we could afford fee / wages - it would be a no-brainer imo

People comparing him to kamara, jack etc, Fleck is more like Davis who could make a game his own and dictate a game, As good as jack is that’s not him

As slow as a week ...........

Back