John Fleck

With the prospect of Sheffield Utd being relegated after their abysmal start to the season I think John Fleck would make a fantastic signing in the Summer. Especially if we have to sell Kamara or Zungu doesn't crack on like we all hope he does. Fan favourite at Sheffield and he's also recently spoken about his desire to play for us again. Would prefer him over Jack Wilshere personally. What's your thoughts?

Why would we have to sell Zungu? A 28 year old at the peak of his game... who we only have on loan.

He's really not that good. Glad to see he's had a good career but would he really improve our midfield? Kenny McLean is favoured ahead of him for Scotland which tells you all you need to know.

He's really not that good. Glad to see he's had a good career but would he really improve our midfield? Kenny McLean is favoured ahead of him for Scotland which tells you all you need to know.

What it tells me is that Scotland's management couldn't pick a team to save their lives

Not really a big fan , has never stood out any time ive saw him either for Scotland or any team down south.
Sheff Utd's lack of form coincided with Fleck being injured for an extended period.
A very good footballer and with Davis and Arfield getting on a bit, he would be a welcome addition to the squad in the summer.

He was barely in his early 20’s when he left us.

Few too many thinking we are entitled to players leaving in perfect circumstances.

Life isn’t sunshine and rainbows, definitely not Rangers at that time.

He's not near the level of Davis.

Sheffield United are a team that has punched well above their weight in recent years thanks to some brilliant tactics and a bespoke system. It makes the players look much better than they are. Without Wilder, they're a mid-table Championship team. They've been well found out this season.

I wouldn't say no to Fleck but likewise, I wouldn't be throwing money at him to sign.

I love his vision and touch and, for what it is worth, I thought he got a bit of a raw deal when he broke through and ultimately left. So, talent wise, I absolutely rate Fleck. However my one niggling doubt about him is whether he has the fitness / athleticism - often when I see him (which admittedly is a small sample size, so maybe my concern is completely unfounded) he seems to be puffing and panting.

I'd imagine there will be plenty of interest if he became available. With Davis coming towards the end Fleck would be a quality replacement

Having another home grown player in the squad would be good. But he looks very slow and one footed to me compared to our current midfielders, albeit he has done a very good job in Sheffield United's midfield 5.

No brainer.. if this is Dafoes last season his wages would easily cover flecks and some change... read on here yesterday Dafoe's on 40 grand pw.. fckn hope not !

If he was to come back, it has to be soon. 28 or 29, great.

Not when he is 32/33.

He turns 30 as the season starts next season and would cost 8-10 million (atleast). He isn't on large wages, so that wouldn't be an issue but that fee at his age is a no go.

His contract ends in 2023. If he hasn't signed for another team, I can see us picking him up on a free then. Is a very good player and fills a homegrown at club slot.
apparently only on 8 grand a week, mcburnie on 20k

Would be a good move to fill one of the homegrown at club slots we currently need to leave vacant in our Euro squads

He won’t be the only player that fancies playing for Rangers in the champions league....

Potentially he’s a replacement for Davis if the deal is right.

Fleck will be 30 in August of next year. Have we in recent years paid a chunky transfer fee for any player who won’t have much re-sale value towards the end of his contract? Maybe we have, but I can’t immediately think of any examples. I am not sure a Fleck signing would fit with the way we are currently trying to run things. Which isn’t to say that an exception or two might not be made along the way, but it would I think be out of keeping with our approach over the last three years or so.

If we are talking Sheffield Utd midfielders, John Lundstram looks more like the sort of person we would pursue. Linked to him in the summer past. Out of contract in the summer coming. Will be 27 in February.

Fleck will be 30 in August of next year. Have we in recent years paid a chunky transfer fee for any player who won’t have much re-sale value towards the end of his contract? Maybe we have, but I can’t immediately think of any examples. I am not sure a Fleck signing would fit with the way we are currently trying to run things. Which isn’t to say that an exception or two might not be made along the way, but it would I think be out of keeping with our approach over the last three years or so.

If we are talking Sheffield Utd midfielders, John Lundstram looks more like the sort of person we would pursue. Linked to him in the summer past. Out of contract in the summer coming. Will be 27 in February.

Lundstrums wages will likely prove an issue, he'll get £40k a week from a PL team I'd guess

John fleck the natural Davis replacement, people who don’t rate him ain’t been watching him the last few seasons he’s been quality
Saw a bit of him yesterday and was not impressed one bit.

It was a small sample granted but missed a good chance and got skinned easily

Looked better last season.

He won’t be the only player that fancies playing for Rangers in the champions league....

Potentially he’s a replacement for Davis if the deal is right.
Zungu a more likely replacement I'd say. If he produces the goods. Fleck won't be coming at his age unless its on an out-of-contract deal.

Last edited:
I never rated him coming through the ranks but his spell in the team also coincided with my years of being a bit of a rocket. How is he with S.Utd positionally, stats, etc.? I never really watch EPL teams unless they are in Europe.

As well as he's done down in England, he's a level below Davis, who will prove extremely difficult to replace long term.
Davis is an incredibly intelligent football player.
Any limitations that he has are overcome by his smart instincts to play to his capabilities and his discipline to keep within this rule.
That is why he may continue at a high level for a while yet.

Kamara and Jack have both become better players from his presence in the squad.
Just watching Davis is a lesson in midfield play.

He is still quite tenacious, more mobile than Davis, and although he has a good passing range, Davis is still a better passer. I’d have him back, but not to replace Steven, maybe to do the Arfield role?

He was linked with a move to arsenal last summer. I think he will still be an EPL player next season even if Sheffield Utd are relegated.

He's rated highly down south higher than some on here rate him.

Lundstrums wages will likely prove an issue, he'll get £40k a week from a PL team I'd guess
You are probably right. But the economics at least make a lot more sense for us than shelling out £5m plus by way of a transfer fee for a 30 year old Fleck. Suppose we agreed to pay Lundstrum £2m a year for 4 years. Costs you £4m for the first two years. You could probably sell him on after those 2 years, then aged 29, and get your £4m back. Or you get 4 years out of him for £8m. It at least makes a semblance of sense financially. By contrast, a big fee, wages and ever diminishing re-sale value for Fleck doesn’t seem to fit with the way we are, understandably, running things at the moment.

He is still quite tenacious, more mobile than Davis, and although he has a good passing range, Davis is still a better passer. I’d have him back, but not to replace Steven, maybe to do the Arfield role?
Could he replicate Arfield's clever movement and striking ability inside the box?

Reactions: TQ3
Back