John Gilligan

newvalleyloyal

Wonder how he feels after todays news? Resigned as a director not long after getting criticism from fans after the 5-1 loss at Ibrox. Not involved in the appointment of the Manager. Just wonder if he saw the writing on the wall very early on.

Had the pleasure of John's company last week at our Bowling Club sportsmans dinner.
A very passionate blue nose and a gentleman

He is the same as us, a supporter and he'll be feeling gutted but now hopeful of a positive change like us. Met him a couple of years ago and he was a gentlemen and I could tell he cared passionately about our club.

Was told that he did not want to appoint Pedro and this caused some problems. Very much a supporter with the clubs best interests at heart.

He is the same as us, a supporter and he'll be feeling gutted but now hopeful of a positive change like us. Met him a couple of years ago and he was a gentlemen and I could tell he cared passionately about our club.
Good tribute to John Gillian and one bright light in our present dark times is that there are many, many, men and women within our club’s support, who are similar to him.

The rumour was that he wasn't keen on Pedro's appointment and his relationship with one director suffered because of that.

I've a lot of time for John.

He actually stayed on longer than he planned.

He is 100 per cent good guy.
This , he wanted away long before he went as he wanted back to watching Rangers as s fan with his pals by all accounts. Have worked with him in the trade over the last 30 years and any dealings I had were all positive.
I knew his Daf MrG very well and both were Rangers men

Seems no one has a bad word to say about John Gilligan.

What did he actually do in his capacity as a director?
I'm not having a go at him btw, just interested.

I seem to recall him saying something about defending the club but it never actually happening

I don't know the guy personally but he seems a good Rangers man. I heard that he fell out with or had disagreements with G Park over Pedro. Wish him well.

I seem to recall him saying something about defending the club but it never actually happening
I asked him at a Q & A in the Bristol bar a week before his official appointment to the board to ensure the club employ the use of the best PR available.
He replied "we already have that", Who? I asked, Me, was his reply, he vowed to defend the club and promised to take action with over any lies or smears directed at the club.
He got a standing ovation.... Sadly it proved to be hollow words. Our PR was and still is as non existent as ever.

I asked him at a Q & A in the Bristol bar a week before his official appointment to the board to ensure the club employ the use of the best PR available.
He replied "we already have that", Who? I asked, Me, was his reply, he vowed to defend the club and promised to take action with over any lies or smears directed at the club.
He got a standing ovation.... Sadly it proved to be hollow words. Our PR was and still is as non existent as ever.
I’m not sure he was always able to do what he felt was necessary. Others on the board prevented him from defending us I believe.

I’m not sure he was always able to do what he felt was necessary. Others on the board prevented him from defending us I believe.
The point I'm making was that the PR was absolutely no better or different to what we had before.
I know John and he is a nice bloke and a good bluenose

The point I'm making was that the PR was absolutely no better or different to what we had before.
I know John and he is a nice bloke and a good bluenose
And what I’m saying is that it’s not always possible in business to do what you want to without the support of the rest of the management team. I have no doubt John wanted to tackle our detractors but was not allowed to do so. Everyone who knows John realises he’s a big bluenose who wants Rangers to succeed.

I have watched the interaction between John and the directors at games and it's certainly strange with some of them.

So who were the board members who weren't allowing him to defend the club, and why?

Seems a strange attitude for any of our board to take?

Gilligan said in response to a fan asking about PR / defending the club that "we don't need a PR team as we've got me" or words to that effect.

I know we have a board of "Rangers men" but I'm not sure how much they have in common with a rank and file supporter like myself. John Gilligan was probably a notable exception, one of the Bears.

I know we have a board of "Rangers men" but I'm not sure how much they have in common with a rank and file supporter like myself. John Gilligan was probably a notable exception, one of the Bears.
The look on that guys face as he came out to tell us that they had took back our club

Will live with me forever

And let’s not forget what we went through

FUCKIN TORTURE

I think I aged during that time

So who were the board members who weren't allowing him to defend the club, and why?

Seems a strange attitude for any of our board to take?

Not really, some Directors don't want to reduce their allocation, some do.
Some Directors want to be more aggressive with the media some don't.

It's unlikely that 6 Directors will agree on everything but cabinet responsibility means the final decision is "unanimous"

That's proper behaviour

I have watched the interaction between John and the directors at games and it's certainly strange with some of them.

Yet he's been in the DB on a number of occasions since he resigned. He was sitting in the DB on Wednesday.
Directors come and go, circumstances change. There's no need to look for bad reasons.
He's still going to all away games with his mates, as he has done for decades.

And what I’m saying is that it’s not always possible in business to do what you want to without the support of the rest of the management team. I have no doubt John wanted to tackle our detractors but was not allowed to do so. Everyone who knows John realises he’s a big bluenose who wants Rangers to succeed.
Like I say, I stated we needed the best PR available, he answered we didn't as he would be our PR, sadly whether you accept it or not, our PR is no better than it was before and that is what I'm
Gilligan said in response to a fan asking about PR / defending the club that "we don't need a PR team as we've got me" or words to that effect.

He said it to me.
I already had a bad feeling about his statement moments later when he followed on to say "We haven't had a PR 'Since' David Murray..... I then reminded him we never had any PR back then either as he or no one else ever publicly defended the club or the support.

Guess he will want the best for us and feel a bit for Pedro,like most of us.
Think the abuse he received last season did it for him.
The abuse he received from certain half wits was nothing short of a disgrace . John is a dyed in the wool bear who did his absolute best.

Back