John Greig - 120 Rangers goals

I saw his first game for the first team at Ibrox he was wearing no. 8 I think, inside right in these days,
You just knew there was a great player there. He was an incredible player.

That 3 - 1 game when John Greig ran the length of the park,starting and finishing the move,was brilliant.My mates old man was a cop in Govan and he got us into the old press box that sat on the roof of the old main stand,what a view it was!
I also remember Archie McPherson was there and after it was either the first or second goal he turned and asked me who it was that scored.i was quite pleased to tell him it was Parlane-if my memory isn' playing tricks.

That 3 - 1 game when John Greig ran the length of the park,starting and finishing the move,was brilliant.My mates old man was a cop in Govan and he got us into the old press box that sat on the roof of the old main stand,what a view it was!
I also remember Archie McPherson was there and after it was either the first or second goal he turned and asked me who it was that scored.i was quite pleased to tell him it was Parlane-if my memory isn' playing tricks.

If I remember right, Gordon Smith got the first, Greig the second, and Parlane third.

Younger supporters get the wrong impression of Grieg with hard man thing . He was great footballer could pass a ball ,read game brilliant. Was great all round player. That's way He's the greatest Ranger.

A great all round player. Hated to lose too, was told that after a loss at Tannadice he was so pissed off at the end that he booted the ball up in the air and right out into the street !

Remember him scoring from around 30 yards against Motherwell at Ibrox

This is it, 16th August 1975:

OoGBL6w.jpg

Another penalty winner, this time the only goal in a Scottish Cup win over Airdrie on 1st March 1969:

mCTGtHM.jpg

There will be a statto able to give how many penalties. He did take them for a while in the late 60s, but wasn't for that many seasons out the 17. The 70s were usually either Sandy Jardine or Alex Miller.
He stopped taking them after missing one for Scotland - such was the man

Was lucky enough to have seen John Greig many a time as a young lad and have to say, what a truly inspirational leader he was. His record speakes for itself, fantastic servent for our club.

Younger supporters get the wrong impression of Grieg with hard man thing . He was great footballer could pass a ball ,read game brilliant. Was great all round player. That's way He's the greatest Ranger.

He may or may not be the greatest, but by God he was great.

How good was he?

I’ve only ever seen clips.

Where was his best position, and ignoring appearances, is he the best ever?

It is impossible to say whether John Greig was our best ever player. My grandfather would probably have said Tommy Cairns or Davie Meiklejohn were better players and captains who played in a similar position. My Dad’s team was the Iron Curtain team but he always had a great deal of time for Big John particularly during the late 60’s when it was a real struggle for us.

I saw John Greig from the end of 1969-1970 season until he retired. To my mind he was an inspiration to Rangers and our supporters. He was a far more skilful player than he was ever given credit for but when necessary he could dish out some frontier justice to the opposition. He could take it too without moaning to the referee although we always knew the assailant would pay for his misdemeanours sooner or later.

One of the most important points in my mind is he was a true example of what a Rangers captain should be. Whether he agreed with all the managers he played under, only Big John could say. Looking on from the terracing, he gave total commitment in every game to The Rangers, his manager at the time and the supporters which is not something some of our recent captains could truthfully say they have done.

He had the respect of his players and the Rangers supporters of the time. Hopefully, that respect for him, even for those who were too young to see him play, remains to this day.

Way before my time, but I've loved reading the whole thread.

Was also Scotland captain at Wembley in '67.
Arguably Scotland's greatest victory there.

Back