John Greig goal v Dundee United in 1978 Scottish Cup semi final

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Been trying to find footage online of a John Greig goal in his last season as a player.

In early 1978 we looked like we were cruising to the title, but in the league games just before and after our League Cup final win we suddenly dropped a lot of points. We lost heavily to Aberdeen at Ibrox, we lost at Parkhead and we could only draw with Hibs and St Mirren. All of a sudden Aberdeen were breathing down our necks and the nerves set in.

We played Dundee United at Hampden in the semi final of the Scottish Cup on a Wednesday night and the Legend himself scored a cracking solo goal in our 2-0 win. Then we went to Somerset Park on the Saturday, a hard place to go back then, and another rampaging Greig goal set us up for a big win.

I've always felt those 2 goals by our 37yr old captain were the moments our season was rescued and put us back on track to win another treble.

The goal v Ayr is online but I've never found the semi final goal. I'm sure the game was televised, so it might be out there somewhere.

Anyone able to put me out my misery?

Unless there's a home recording out there it's doubtful if the recording still exists,the BBC would wipe tapes and use them again to save money so it might be lost forever mate.

Was at both games but remember the goal at Somerset more as I was right at the front behind the goal. I'm sure I've seen it on a YouTube compilation.

I was at both games but don't remember anything about the DU game.
If the Ayr game is the one I'm thinking about, we were getting the run around and JG grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and turned it around and we won 5-2.

If the Ayr game is the one I'm thinking about, we were getting the run around and JG grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and turned it around and we won 5-2.

From memory, the Ayr game was 1-1 at the time and he scored after about half an hour. We did win 5-2.
Pretty sure it was his last ever competitive goal for us.

The semi final the previous midweek was 0-0 with about 20 minutes left. DJ scored but it was still very nervy, then Greig got the clincher with about 10 minutes left.

Been trying to find footage online of a John Greig goal in his last season as a player.

In early 1978 we looked like we were cruising to the title, but in the league games just before and after our League Cup final win we suddenly dropped a lot of points. We lost heavily to Aberdeen at Ibrox, we lost at Parkhead and we could only draw with Hibs and St Mirren. All of a sudden Aberdeen were breathing down our necks and the nerves set in.

We played Dundee United at Hampden in the semi final of the Scottish Cup on a Wednesday night and the Legend himself scored a cracking solo goal in our 2-0 win. Then we went to Somerset Park on the Saturday, a hard place to go back then, and another rampaging Greig goal set us up for a big win.

I've always felt those 2 goals by our 37yr old captain were the moments our season was rescued and put us back on track to win another treble.

The goal v Ayr is online but I've never found the semi final goal. I'm sure the game was televised, so it might be out there somewhere.

No footage unfortunately. That was my first season going just about every week with my dad. A treble season. I just thought that was the way it was. The next few years taught me a different reality.

I’m certain the legend was only 35 that season.

Coincidentally, I always felt that we found our form again after JG's testimonial even though it was kind of exhibition stuff. It seemed to relax our players and we kicked on after it. What a brilliant season that was and I love it when other folk bring up wee episodes like you've done that bring back great memories. Cheers.

Greig is Rangers personified. I was at all those games, the Aberdeen game at Ibrox was my 20th birthday what a feckin let down that was .....went to the Bier Keller on Union street and got shit faced after it.

DJ was my man of the match that day head and shoulders above everyone on the park.

Coincidentally, I always felt that we found our form again after JG's testimonial even though it was kind of exhibition stuff. It seemed to relax our players and we kicked on after it. What a brilliant season that was and I love it when other folk bring up wee episodes like you've done that bring back great memories. Cheers.
Couldn’t have been too much of the season remaining after the testimonial.
Was the cup final not on 6/5?
I’d have bet the testimonial was after the cup final was played.

Can't seem to remember the game mate but I remember being at Somerset Park for the Ayr game with my Dad and my bovril being knocked off the wall behind one of the goals.
The things you remember...

My memory may be playing tricks .but I'm sure the testimonial was the day after a league game at clydebank and would have been before the cup final
You could be correct.
It’s been a while since I gave it any thought but I have a lot of memories linked to that one period around April that year.

The highlights were on the telly but there was no live coverage.Given the age of some of the games I've seen via the Rangers Archive during the lockdown I'd be surprised if there was not a copy of this game.

I was thinking exactly the same about the testimonial. From memory they had been toiling. They played with such freedom that day against Scotland. It could have been more than 5. And they never looked back after that.

Back