John Greig tackle vs Moscow Dynamo

The Barcelona Bear

Read an article on this the other day. Apparently Willie Waddell pointed out the Russian danger man and within the first 90 seconds John Greig administered what Colin Stein described as grievous bodily harm on the boy. Stein says you would never get away with that in this day and age but the boy never came near the ball again for the next 40 minutes. Anybody who hasn't seen it take a look on YouTube you will only need to be watching for 2 minutes.

I remember reading Greig saying that down through the years whenever Rangers played in Russia, Josef Szabo would always turn up to remind Greig about that tackle. The guy never forgot it.

Does he not say in his video in the game against turin (torino) .Waddell said to him this guy is the up and coming superstar .keep him out of the game .Greig says for the night or for good

“Sorry son, didn’t see you there”
Davie Cooper had a great story about Greig when he was still at Clydebank and had played a blinder in a 3-3 league cup tie against Rangers at Kilbowie. Fast forward to the replay at Ibrox, Cooper said he got the ball early doors and tried to beat his man only to end up being clattered and landing on his back. He looked up to see a smiling John Greig offering a him a hand back up and heard the words 'try that again son and I'll break your leg'. Classic stuff from the Greatest Ranger.

Ian Ferguson done similar against the Irish mob who were 3-0 up. Fergie was obviously was sent on to do a job which he promptly obliged!

Does he not say in his video in the game against turin (torino) .Waddell said to him this guy is the up and coming superstar .keep him out of the game .Greig says for the night or for good
The guy’s name was Sala, if I recall correctly. If Greigy tackled you, you knew all about it.

Had John Greig not just come back from a serious foot injury for the final ? And puts in a tackle like that in two minutes!

Reminded me of the old joke; John’s wife gets a phone call from Ibrox saying “Hi Mrs Greig, John’s on his way home with a broken leg”, to which she replied “whose leg?” Made me laugh.

Had John Greig not just come back from a serious foot injury for the final ? And puts in a tackle like that in two minutes!
Correct, Greig was injured a few weeks before the final I think against Hibs in the SC semi final and played most of that match with his ankle heavily strapped. A few days later he failed a fitness test before the CWC semi final and the rest, as they say is history. He famously missed that match and also the remaining domestic games of that season including the SC semi final replay a few days later which we lost 2-0. Thankfully he recovered in time for the final in Barcelona.

Ian Ferguson done similar against the Irish mob who were 3-0 up. Fergie was obviously was sent on to do a job which he promptly obliged!
Fergie also did the same agains Borussia Dortmund at Ibrox. Came on and totally knobbled their Brazilian CH (Julio Cesar). We ended up getting a draw I think.

Have seen a lot worse.Greig was a fantastic leader and motivator although lacking a bit in skill :))

Back