John Greig vs Borussia Mönchengladbach | CWC 1973/74 | All touches & actions

Carson's Cat

One for the aulder Bears. This game was played in Nov 1973. We lost the first leg 3-0 in Germany so had a massive hill to climb for the return leg. My memory of the match is that we played more open than usual and were undone by a couple of defensive lapses so, although we won on the night, we just had too much to do to get to the QF.

These aren't match highlights but some Bear has gone through the whole return leg and focussed on JG's contribution and assembled 11 minutes of compelling viewing. He was immense that night and was a much better footballer than even some Rangers fans give him credit for. Hope you enjoy:

Last edited:
Fantastic synopsis of Mr Greig that evening.

A couple of observations - Mr Greig was adept with both feet; a rare European appearance by Doug Houston.

Fantastic synopsis of Mr Greig that evening.

A couple of observations - Mr Greig was adept with both feet; a rare European appearance by Doug Houston.
Well spotted - and when he was mentioned in the commentary I had to google him as I had forgotten he played for us.

His testimonial in 1978 drew a crowd of 69,000. He was the first Rangers player to have a testimonial game.
We played a Scotland XI made up mainly of Scotland's World Cup squad under Ally McLeod. Rangers won 5-0, Greig scored two goals.
Six days later Rangers clinched the league, the following week Rangers won the Scottish Cup to complete the treble.
Another two weeks later, Jock Wallace quit and John Greig became manager.

His testimonial in 1978 drew a crowd of 69,000. He was the first Rangers player to have a testimonial game.
We played a Scotland XI made up mainly of Scotland's World Cup squad under Ally McLeod. Rangers won 5-0, Greig scored two goals.
Six days later Rangers clinched the league, the following week Rangers won the Scottish Cup to complete the treble.
Another two weeks later, Jock Wallace quit and John Greig became manager.
At the end of the pretty-dull 1976/77 season where we were runners up in the league, lost the SC and were pumped out of the LC and the EC my auld man chucked it for the last (and the really final final and this time I mean it) time.

I also started work so 1977/78 was my first time paying my own way to Ibrox. OK so getting pumped by Twente Enschede was a pisser but we were imperious that season and played some lovely football.

Greig is well before my time so thanks for sharing because that was a brilliant watch. I feel lucky to have met the great man and got an autograph when I was a wean!

At the end of the pretty-dull 1976/77 season where we were runners up in the league, lost the SC and were pumped out of the LC and the EC my auld man chucked it for the last (and the really final final and this time I mean it) time.

I also started work so 1977/78 was my first time paying my own way to Ibrox. OK so getting pumped by Twente Enschede was a pisser but we were imperious that season and played some lovely football.
It was really weird that season. As you say we won hee-haw the season before, the fans were becoming disgruntled again, two defeats in the first two league games - we called for Wallace's head, it was like "Here we go again" effin rubbish!
Went on to win the treble, happy days again, Jock was our hero, then he quit! Had to wait another 8 years until Souness and Smith arrived for the title.

Went on to win the treble, happy days again, Jock was our hero, then he quit! Had to wait another 8 years until Souness and Smith arrived for the title.
The broad and narrow straits of following Rangers, mate. I know you know this but it's good to point out to The Cubs (anyone under 35) that we have also had some lean years.

Back