John Greig wearing number 10

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
November 1975. A season that ended in treble glory, but we were going through a terrible spell in the league. Our first 10 games had seen just 3 wins, 4 draws and defeats to Ayr, Motherwell and Hearts. We had also just been beaten in the European Cup home and away by St Etienne, although had found form in the right games to win the League Cup.

Only 11,000 at Ibrox for this midweek game, and a really strange team selection.

Jim Denny wearing 2.
Alex Miller wearing 3.
Sandy Jardine wearing 4.
Tom Forsyth wearing 6.
John Greig wearing 10.

Add Colin Jackson and that's 6 defenders. The other 4 were McLean, McKean, Parlane and DJ so no regular natural midfielders at all. Albeit Jardine, Greig and McKean could play there. Imagine the FF match thread if this place had existed!

But a much needed convincing win over Dundee United with 4 of our most reliable players of the 1970s all scoring. Parlane, Johnstone, Jackson and substitute Alex MacDonald.

I must admit to having no memory of ever seeing John Greig wearing number 10. Maybe he did back in the 60s before my time. Was this as unusual as I think it was?

A goal from an aimless hoof up in the air from Greig and a youthful sturrock scoring for them.

And Arthur commentating. I liked him and archie but they both waffled.

It was unusual for Greig to wear a No.10, but to say he was not a natural midfielder is wrong.
He was, without doubt, the best right sided midfielder in Britain throughout the 1960's.
John Greig was as automatic a choice as Scotland's Right Half as Baxter was as Scotland's left Half.
At a time when Scotland had World/International Class Right Halves in Billy Bremner, Bobby Murdoch, Dave MacKay, Pat Crerand, Frank McLintock and Pat Stanton.
John Greig was first choice for Scotland in 43 of 46 Internationals between 1964-71.
None of the other Right Half candidates came even close to that number of appearances during that period (I think Bremner may have won 25 Caps in that time).

It was unusual for Greig to wear a No.10, but to say he was not a natural midfielder is wrong.
He was, without doubt, the best right sided midfielder in Britain throughout the 1960's.
John Greig was as automatic a choice as Scotland's Right Half as Baxter was as Scotland's left Half.
At a time when Scotland had World/International Class Right Halves in Billy Bremner, Bobby Murdoch, Dave MacKay, Pat Crerand, Frank McLintock and Pat Stanton.
John Greig was first choice for Scotland in 43 of 46 Internationals between 1964-71.
None of the other Right Half candidates came even close to that number of appearances during that period (I think Bremner may have won 25 Caps in that time).

Maybe I should have said nobody who regularly played in midfield at the time. As I am aware Greig was a midfielder often back in his earlier years with us.

I'm not sure who played where that night, I suspect the full backs were Denny and Miller.

I have no specific memory of the game but its a period when I would have hardly missed a game at Ibrox.
I must have enjoyed it, big John was a favourite.

Maybe I should have said nobody who regularly played in midfield at the time. As I am aware Greig was a midfielder often back in his earlier years with us.

I'm not sure who played where that night, I suspect the full backs were Denny and Miller.

It wasn't just his early years, John Greig was a midfielder for Rangers for more than a decade.
I think it was only in the last three or four seasons of his career that he played as a Left Back, simply because he was a better option in that position, than who else we had at the time.
His first season for us were at Inside Right (No.8), but midway through that second season (62-63), he took that No.4 spot from Harold Davis, and it was his for at least the next decade.
I know he played Right Back for Scotland on occasion, and sometimes as a Central Defender alongside McKinnon, when called upon, but he most definitely should be remembered as a Fantastic Midfielder, at a time when Scotland as a Nation were blessed with wonderful midfielders.

I’m sure when he came into the side in the early 60s,he wore the number 8 jersey.
I have no specific memory of the game but its a period when I would have hardly missed a game at Ibrox.
I must have enjoyed it, big John was a favourite.

I have similar memories.

I suspect I have in my book archive a playing for Rangers, 60s edition in which JG features as a No 8, and a future prospect as an inside right , and a replacement for the Wee Prime Minister.

I agree with most of what you say, but on a point of principle, I can't see the name Pat Crerand without thinking, dirty horrible bead rattling bassa

Greig was an inside-right wearing No.8 when he got into the first team in 61/62 when Ian Mac Milan didn’t play. He played at left-half wearing No.6 at the end of that season a 3 match tour of the Soviet Union. Baxter was not allowed to go on the tour by the government as he was a serving soldier in the British Army. Greig reverted to No.8 in the new season but moved to No.4 replacing Harold Davis after the resumption of football in March 1963 after the end of a dreadful winter when little football was played in the UK. George McLean had been signed and he took the No.8 shirt. Greig did wear No.10 for a couple of games at the start of the 1966/67 season when Davie Smith was signed.

I was in the west enclosure that night.
The final home game that season was against United the midweek after the Hearts final.
Defeat would have relegated them, it ended 0-0.
McAlpine the goalkeeper missed a penalty in front of the 50 thousand crowd.

I was in the west enclosure that night.
The final home game that season was against United the midweek after the Hearts final.
Defeat would have relegated them, it ended 0-0.
McAlpine the goalkeeper missed a penalty in front of the 50 thousand crowd.
I remember that game. 10 years old, and sitting in the main stand.

My old man lost the plot when Greig was picked at LB in the Greatest Rangers side :)) He still goes on about it to this day.

He was adamant he should have been alongside Baxter in midfield and Caldow as LB. Think he thought that guys like Gascoigne, as great as they were, hadn't done their length of service.

My old man lost the plot when Greig was picked at LB in the Greatest Rangers side :)) He still goes on about it to this day.

He was adamant he should have been alongside Baxter in midfield and Caldow as LB. Think he thought that guys like Gascoigne, as great as they were, hadn't done their length of service.

I'm with your Old Man on that 100%.
John Greig won more tackles/interceptions, in our half of the field, than anyone I can remember.
John Greig scored more goals from midfield than anyone else I can remember.

Grieg started as an inside right understudy to Ian Mcmillian. Injury to Harold Davis gave Grieg his first game at right half and he never looked back after that.
Greig was a top player not just a hard man. When I say hard man was not a dirty player. Boy could we do with him now .

John Greig is without doubt our greatest ever player and a legend However when picking our greatest team I don’t think there is a place for him which is strange he was shoehorned in at left back but was he our best ever left back? Caldow and Numan might have something to say about that ! In midfield would he get in front of Baxter Souness Gazza It’s a strange situation but greatest player yes in greatest ever team probably not

You're old man is correct, Caldow is our greatest left back in my time as a bluenose,Greig was a great ball winning midfielder who could play as well, also he weighed in with a good few goals. The problem with these greatest ever teams is that people tend to concentrate on their own era

John Greig is without doubt our greatest ever player and a legend However when picking our greatest team I don’t think there is a place for him which is strange he was shoehorned in at left back but was he our best ever left back? Caldow and Numan might have something to say about that ! In midfield would he get in front of Baxter Souness Gazza It’s a strange situation but greatest player yes in greatest ever team probably not

You are doubting that John Greig who led us to Three Trebles, and carried us through some of our toughest years, making 768 Starts in 17 seasons, winning Scotland's Player of the Year twice, would struggle to get in a Rangers team of all time, ahead of an ageing Graeme Souness who gave us 55 Starts in 2 seasons!

I have heard it all now!

Souness's best days were well behind him, as good as he was for us in that 1986/87 season, he played 73 games during his tenure(including sub appearances), Gascoigne was also great for us in his first two seasons at the club but was very inconsistent in his third season, his lack of discipline and loss of form resulted in his transfer in March 1998, our 10 in a row season.

John Greig epitomised everything a Rangers player should be on and off the pitch, on the pitch the team relied greatly on him to lead by example in the dark years but he was very inspirational in any success we had, both in the early/mid sixties and the seventies. 770 odd games, weighing in with round about 125 goals during his 17 years at the club makes him a stick on for inclusion in any greatest ever Rangers team, preferably in midfield beside Jim Baxter.

It wasn't just his early years, John Greig was a midfielder for Rangers for more than a decade.
I think it was only in the last three or four seasons of his career that he played as a Left Back, simply because he was a better option in that position, than who else we had at the time.
His first season for us were at Inside Right (No.8), but midway through that second season (62-63), he took that No.4 spot from Harold Davis, and it was his for at least the next decade.
I know he played Right Back for Scotland on occasion, and sometimes as a Central Defender alongside McKinnon, when called upon, but he most definitely should be remembered as a Fantastic Midfielder, at a time when Scotland as a Nation were blessed with wonderful midfielders.
You mention playing alongside McKinnon, which is precisely where he played in the 1967 3 2 win at Wembley. He was fantastic in that game as was McKinnon.

You are doubting that John Greig who led us to Three Trebles, and carried us through some of our toughest years, making 768 Starts in 17 seasons, winning Scotland's Player of the Year twice, would struggle to get in a Rangers team of all time, ahead of an ageing Graeme Souness who gave us 55 Starts in 2 seasons!

I have heard it all now!
Don’t be silly I am making the point he didn’t get into the greatest ever team as voted for by fans in Midfield(right half) He was shoehorned in at left back despite being a long way away of being our best ever left back. I do not doubt his title as greatest ever player I was just pointing out how strange it was I would have him as first name on my team Every time !

Souness's best days were well behind him, as good as he was for us in that 1986/87 season, he played 73 games during his tenure(including sub appearances), Gascoigne was also great for us in his first two seasons at the club but was very inconsistent in his third season, his lack of discipline and loss of form resulted in his transfer in March 1998, our 10 in a row season.

John Greig epitomised everything a Rangers player should be on and off the pitch, on the pitch the team relied greatly on him to lead by example in the dark years but he was very inspirational in any success we had, both in the early/mid sixties and the seventies. 770 odd games, weighing in with round about 125 goals during his 17 years at the club makes him a stick on for inclusion in any greatest ever Rangers team, preferably in midfield beside Jim Baxter.
I don’t doubt any of this. I am just stating that the greatest ever team as voted by fans he struggles to get in and was shoehorned in at left back

Arthur:
"Rangers lead one-nothing after 29 minutes
and a simple goal it was at the end of the day".

Arthur Montford was unique :)

November 1975. A season that ended in treble glory, but we were going through a terrible spell in the league. Our first 10 games had seen just 3 wins, 4 draws and defeats to Ayr, Motherwell and Hearts. We had also just been beaten in the European Cup home and away by St Etienne, although had found form in the right games to win the League Cup.

Only 11,000 at Ibrox for this midweek game, and a really strange team selection.

Jim Denny wearing 2.
Alex Miller wearing 3.
Sandy Jardine wearing 4.
Tom Forsyth wearing 6.
John Greig wearing 10.

Add Colin Jackson and that's 6 defenders. The other 4 were McLean, McKean, Parlane and DJ so no regular natural midfielders at all. Albeit Jardine, Greig and McKean could play there. Imagine the FF match thread if this place had existed!

But a much needed convincing win over Dundee United with 4 of our most reliable players of the 1970s all scoring. Parlane, Johnstone, Jackson and substitute Alex MacDonald.

I must admit to having no memory of ever seeing John Greig wearing number 10. Maybe he did back in the 60s before my time. Was this as unusual as I think it was?

I was there, and remember on hearing that both Denny & Miller were playing, going ohh no!!

Another remeinder of how good Tommy McLean was at crossing, a magician. Parlane and DJ benefitted on many an occasion. This was my first season travelling on the newly founded Bishopbriggs RSC, and what a season it turned about to be.

Thanks @dh1963 for posting

Back