John Hughes on Rangers

Regardless of their allegiances, Scottish football needs more managers like Hughes and Rice in charge in the top flight.

Managers who want to try and play attractive football and give younger players a chance.

Regardless of their allegiances, Scottish football needs more managers like Hughes and Rice in charge in the top flight.

Managers who want to try and play attractive football and give younger players a chance.

People are forever moaning about negative hoofball dominating this league and how awful it is to watch (and that’s true). Hughes is one of the very few who tries to get away from that and actually play football, so that’s another reason I’m happy to see him back in the league.

Good humble lads , Salt of the earth boys , the type you want in the trenches , my sort of people , Good working class stock , Playing fitba like men , Hard but fair Just a good bunch of boys

Good humble lads , Salt of the earth boys , the type you want in the trenches , my sort of people , Good working class stock , Playing fitba like men , Hard but fair Just a good bunch of boys
He knows how the game works, it would be silly if he wrote our team talk for us

Hughes is proof that just because you're a Celtic man you don't need to be a paranoid, vindictive arsehole with a victim complex. There's a few could learn from him.

Eta: Brian Rice is another. Decent guys who love the game and put it first. Respect to them both.
A thought he was a Hivs man?

I'll go against the grain here B-D

Fk him he played for them, only thing worth remembering is his header off the bar and the spawns of satan thought they scored only for us to go up the park, pinpoint cross from Jorg, back of the net from Gazza

I actually quite like the big guy. Always liked watching his teams, hibs made a balls up letting him go he would’ve made them a good side

It's difficult to believe - especially if you spend daily time on forums, Twitter or Facebook - but there really are Celtic fans who are just the mirror image of good Bears.

Just as not all Rangers fans or even ex-players are 'staunch', not all Celtic fans or ex-players are 'devout'.

Yogi is a good guy - whether as a football man or a guy to enjoy a pint with - and should always be viewed in a different light to the media stooges like Boyd and Walker, Commons, Sutton and Speirs.

If he wasn't a former Tim, I'd have had him at Rangers with one of the younger teams. So passionate and has great ideas on the game. Can't help but feel he would really excel in that type of role.
I’d have him regardless of his Tim leanings. He’s a big honest guy who knows the game probably better than any other Scottish coach in our league.

he’d make a great youth coach

If he wasn't a former Tim, I'd have had him at Rangers with one of the younger teams. So passionate and has great ideas on the game. Can't help but feel he would really excel in that type of role.
Mate you have no idea how many tim coaches there are at us at youth level .

Don't mind Hughes tbh. Isn't on the same poet levels as many "pundits"etc. Will call him all the bastards if his team took something at the weekend right enough. Which won't happen. He'll keep them in the league imo.

Everyone’s favourite Tim being everyone’s favourite Tim again.
If you had a big party on the 12th night, you'd let Yogi come because everyone seems to like him. He'd be sitting in your back garden round the BBQ saying "There were some lovely banners today, and I'll tell you what, nothing sounds quite like the lambeg!"

He does come across as a likable chap. I used to work with hibees that knew him and I'm sure they said when he was Hibs manager his wage was about £20k a year so obviously was doing it for the love of the game. Also had a pub on Leith Walk at the time. Might have been the Cabbage and Ribs but not sure.

It’s hard to dislike the big Tim lol. If my memory serves mind you, I hated him as a player for some reason. He wasn’t even that good. But I like the big man these days.

Not true. He's from Leith and supported Celtic as a kid, but he did used to go and watch Hibs too.
Correct @Noddy I have always liked big Hughes though, just seems like a genuine guy and he’s always up front and honest. Still see him going ballistic when he knocked Celtic out of the cup a few years back. Can’t ask for more than that.

Back