John Lundstram

Are you joking this guy is one of the reasons we are playing so slow and predictable this season so far. Once Jack is back this guy is never getting a game. He could do a turn for Livingstone. We are playing terrible just now and kidding ourselves on that he is a player is not helping. You must have lower expectations of a Rangers midfielder or third centre half than me.
Utter shite. There have been plenty of garbage performances where he has had next to no involvement, he is no more to blame than any other player.

I don't know what your expectations of a Rangers midfielder are, but what exactly did he do wrong tonight? Not dribble past everycunt and Rabona it in off the post? He bossed the midfield, especially the second half. Repeatedly won the ball back high up the pitch and prevented counters all night long and clearly showed he has a good range of pass. Honestly what more can he do?

The guy might not be a superstar, but it is pretty evident that once a portion of our support has an opinion on a player then their mind is set. Embarrassing when you consider the fact the guy has played just under 6 games worth of minutes.

Utter shite. There have been plenty of garbage performances where he has had next to no involvement, he is no more to blame than any other player.

I don't know what your expectations of a Rangers midfielder are, but what exactly did he do wrong tonight? Not dribble past everycunt and Rabona it in off the post? He bossed the midfield, especially the second half. Repeatedly won the ball back high up the pitch and prevented counters all night long and clearly showed he has a good range of pass. Honestly what more can he do?

The guy might not be a superstar, but it is pretty evident that once a portion of our support has an opinion on a player then their mind is set. Embarrassing when you consider the fact the guy has played just under 6 games worth of minutes.
exactly had a decent game tonight

He was poor in the first half. For me it was a toss-up between him and Wright to get hooked for Hagi at h/t. However he was much better in the 2nd half.

Fair play to Lundstram he had a much better game last night but did give away one of his silly fouls that saw him double yellowed before.

My jury is still out, we need performances against Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Prague etc, not Livingston.

I thought he did a helluva lot of good work in front of the defence last night and also played a few nice balls through. He’s one of those players who does a lot of work the fans don’t notice or appreciate. He’s still settling in and I’m far from ready to give up on the guy

Much better second half but I do think he looks slow and seems to want too much time.
It’s a wider issue through the team though and we’re just not moving the ball quickly or crisply enough compared with last season.

In the opening 10 -15 mins it was the reason NP was standing out as everything was crisp and quick but his final delivery let him down.

He is improving as he settles, understands the team tactics and his role. He is understand what it means to be at his first big club. A bit of a step up he isn’t the first to find that a challenge.

Showed he can be a decent player for us.

It's not exactly helpful that the first time he misplaces a pass the crowd are on him like a ton of bricks.

No doubt he is taking a while to settle but I thought he played well last night.

His passing was excellent last night so stop talking utter sh*te.
I disagree, but OK mate.

Guy who was asked to stay away from the ball at his previous club isn’t miraculously going to be able to play the deep lying playmaker role at Rangers.

Maybe against Livi etc.

It's really not.
I said the exact same thing to my mate, leaving the ground last night and was talking to another guy about it this morning walking the dog. All in agreement that him and Davis can't be on the park at the same time, to get the best out of both of them. I've not been convinced about him so far, but thought he played the role of picking the ball up from the defenders very well last night. He was always looking for the ball. In general though, we are slow going through the midfield. There was a marked improvement in the 2nd half, when we started to play longer passes in behind though. There was one diagonal pass from Bacuna that was quite sublime. He barely lifted his head, but was aware of the run on the other side.

played v well
seemed to be more confident to go forward
in a first half littered with short passes, passes behind players and timid play - he was largely trying to push the game foward
involved in both goals too

He did well, needs to move the ball quicker at times but played better than our other midfielders
I don’t think he’ll ever will move the ball quicker. It’s not his style and, at his age, I don’t think it’s something you’ll change about his game. For good or bad, he will always slow our play down.

I can't really argue with that other than to point out that Steven Davis in he same role can get the other midfield players playing.
The truth is our midfield isn't really functioning at present.
Even Davis has been poor so far this season.

At least Lundstram performances are on the up. I don’t think he’s even close to the levels he produced at Sheffield United. First season in the Premiership he was excellent alongside Fleck and Norwood. Still yet to see those runs down the right hand side. We’ve seen him burst into the box late and latch onto a few balls.

Dictated the midfield last night, broke up play, retained possession, lifted his head and moved the ball wide. He also ventured forward, found both full backs in attack minded areas and almost set up a goal with that dink 20 yards from goal.

More freedom without Davis in the side. Alongside Davis they are yet to click. The midfield has yet to really get going. Spells last night where it was still a bit slow and ponderous.

It's simple allow him to sit in front of back 4 break up other teams play and pass the ball to the likes of Kamara, Aribo and Hagi let them do something creative.

Ps twice last night when he chased down the ball really pleased me good to see.

At least Lundstram performances are on the up. I don’t think he’s even close to the levels he produced at Sheffield United. First season in the Premiership he was excellent alongside Fleck and Norwood. Still yet to see those runs down the right hand side. We’ve seen him burst into the box late and latch onto a few balls.

Dictated the midfield last night, broke up play, retained possession, lifted his head and moved the ball wide. He also ventured forward, found both full backs in attack minded areas and almost set up a goal with that dink 20 yards from goal.

More freedom without Davis in the side. Alongside Davis they are yet to click. The midfield has yet to really get going. Spells last night where it was still a bit slow and ponderous.
The general consensus on the Sheff Utd forum is that he was a bang average player in the championship who had a 3 month purple patch during their first season in the EPL then went back to being a bang average squad player mate.

Seen someone on twitter last night saying "Who should Gerrard sub first and why is it Lundstram" at half time. He'd done nothing wrong by that point.

Some people have already made their mind up about him and won't budge it seems.

BTW I'm not sure why everyone's saying he's slow and can't run...he actually looks as if he's got some turn of pace on him.

The general consensus on the Sheff Utd forum is that he was a bang average player in the championship who had a 3 month purple patch during their first season in the EPL then went back to being a bang average squad player mate.

Yet they still wanted an England call up and a contract extension. Fleck, Berge, Norwood all got it tight for their performances last season. They weren’t happy that Lundstram let his contract run down. Poor performances last season, team relegated, one of their own removed from the managers position.

I bet had Lundstram signed a new contract, they would have been delighted.

Some three month purple patch;

Yet they still wanted an England call up and a contract extension. Fleck, Berge, Norwood all got it tight for their performances last season. They weren’t happy that Lundstram let his contract run down. Poor performances last season, team relegated, one of their own removed from the managers position.

I bet had Lundstram signed a new contract, they would have been delighted.

Some three month purple patch;

Twice last night he chased lost causes and we got our 2nd goal thanks to the pressure he put the keeper under.

You can tell he's starting to look confident now and settling in and knows his role in the team.

He was absolutely fine last night, he will have came off thinking he played OK himself.

Its the weird forensic detail people apply to him when watching absolutely everything he does as he's been picked as the fan's whipping boy this season.

He had a slow start, looking better now but every time he had the ball last night, especially the first half, the baying mob were just waiting to have a go at him for any sign of a mistake.

Seen someone on twitter last night saying "Who should Gerrard sub first and why is it Lundstram" at half time. He'd done nothing wrong by that point.

Some people have already made their mind up about him and won't budge it seems.

BTW I'm not sure why everyone's saying he's slow and can't run...he actually looks as if he's got some turn of pace on him.

He's no slouch across the ground, particularly when he gets into his stride.

Nothing slow about him.

Back