John Lundstram

He excelled defensively for that first goal, I’ll give him that. He managed as a professional footballer to replicate what I imagine I could have pulled off in that moment

Aye, our best midfielder during a game when midfielders he is usually nowhere near ability wise were having major off games.

He gets no praise for me for being considered the best midfielder last night, he was average and the whole midfield was pish.

Correct, the other two had poor nights, which only heightens the challenge for the other player in the side.

I reckon he will manage on OK with or without praise from you bud

confidence IMO
he's the whipping boy already and sometimes he is clearly taking the "keep possession" option rather than the riskier one
and he's not alone in that

at one stage we had a break, alfie to kent
kents pass to Borna was awful, Bornas pass back to Kamara was awful, Kamara then made a terrible pass and it ended up back at McGregor
All night long mate.

Just me personally, if I seen my captain charging down the line, I'd follow or have his back, I wouldn't ping it back and leave him stranded up the other end of the park. Borna was similar last night. He flattered to deceive. Looked impressive bombing forward but as soon as he got the ball he either stopped dead in his tracks and fannied about or knocked it back to the half way line.

They're needing to get back into the coffee bean before a game.

Thought he had a decent game tonight last night, a lot fitter with plenty energy and drive. Along with Balogun and Tavernier our best player tonight.
There was definitely glimpses last night, his fitness and reactions are what's letting him down, but he's definitely starting to raise his game.

I'd agree it was his best game for us, but it's still miles off what we need at this level.

That in itself says something.

But let's be honest, Davis and Kamara weren't great either but the difference is they've got plenty credit in the bank.

What we need at this level costs £15m+

Fair bit to go, but was his best performance so far. Seemed to be a bit quicker of touch and thought. It helped that the crowd seemed to appreciate some of his moves and touches. I think that kind of support will benefit him going forward

Last edited:
I thought our 2 central defenders were our best players, but he had a good game and looks to be adjusting to our style of play.

Thought he had a decent game tonight, a lot fitter with plenty energy and drive. Along with Balogun and Tavernier our best player tonight.
He was shocking, seriously I have no idea what his job was. And yes I was at the game in the Club Deck. Dreadful.

I thought he did OK. He’s gone from about a 4 or 5/10 performer to maybe 6.5 or 7 last night. He’s decent, he’ll probably get better, but is he good enough to improve the team from where we’ve been over the last couple of seasons? As I thought before he even kicked a ball for us, I don’t think he is.

I thought he did ok against a very good midfield.

given time I think he will become one of the first names on the team sheet

I think he will come good.... in my opinion (not that it means much) I think it is no coincidence that he has played a lot better against a good team. Surely this is more of what he is used to at Sheffield, I feel he just needs time to get used to the way teams line up against us domestically

Decent game from him last night. Some of his decision making was frustrating. A few times Tav bolted up the wing for the knock on and John decides to ping it back to the defenders because, reasons. Not impressed with our performance last night so probably wont spend much energy talking about it further. Midfield was honking last night.
He seems to be very slow in thought as well as physically, he's got reasonable technical skills but jsut so so lackadaisical and slow.

I think he will come good.... in my opinion (not that it means much) I think it is no coincidence that he has played a lot better against a good team. Surely this is more of what he is used to at Sheffield, I feel he just needs time to get used to the way teams line up against us domestically
Has he? The only team he's started and played well and not cost us against is Dunfermline.

Lundstram 100% played well last night

Opening 20/25 minutes he was barely involved. He was better after that. Still nowhere near the levels he hit at Sheffield United. Obviously still adjusting to Scottish and European football. Early signs of Lundstram and Davis in the same team aren’t positive.

Maybe not Steven Davis best game but could not understand the decision to take him off with half an hour to go, while leaving Lundstrum and Kamara on. He is consistently our most creative player.

i thought he takes the easy option all the time and shift responsibility, not a improvement in my opinion

confidence IMO
he's the whipping boy already and sometimes he is clearly taking the "keep possession" option rather than the riskier one
and he's not alone in that

at one stage we had a break, alfie to kent
kents pass to Borna was awful, Bornas pass back to Kamara was awful, Kamara then made a terrible pass and it ended up back at McGregor
The athletic did a breakdown of times in a five minute spell that Rangers could have played a through ball but chose the safe option. There’s a lack of confidence probably caused by not having a settled team due to injury, illness and suspension.

The bar was set extremely low last night, he done ok. Still clumsy on ball which resulted in those sort of last ditch tackles that he did win.

Yards off it pace wise to make a meaningful impact as a Ranger. He’s not for us

Played well this second half, not brilliant, nowhere near the best we get from Davis, but a big improvement after a pretty terrible start.

He could be an able backup for Davis if he keeps it going. Wouldn't be a starter when Davis is fit though.

Aye, good performance. He is starting to get a wee run of better play together now. It is almost as if sometimes players take time to settle into Scottish football and the demands placed upon them at a big club.

He isn’t the first player to take a wee while to settle in,Tonight he should what he is capable of.

I said in the Lyon match thread that playing him on the right rather than in the middle was part of the reason for his poor performances. He looks much more comfortable in the middle of the midfield 3.

Edit: not the Lyon thread, maybe the St Johnstone one? I can't remember.

Back