John Lundstram

He’s clearly been brought in as Davis’ long term replacement.(those without short term memory loss will remember Davis upon return being panned as “fucking shite”, “a shadow” and “done”)

The more I see him the more I think it makes sense.

Those expecting the second coming of Paul Scholes on a free from Sheffield Utd may wait a while.

I think he’s worth being patient with.

I thought he was very commanding tonight and grew into the game. Also played a big part in the first goal winning the ball back

Looks better in the Davis role rather than playing beside him. Might just be the long term replacement we have been needing

He was excellent tonight and Hope this gives him more confidence in future games

Well done John. Keep it up

He’s building his confidence, great beak up play and talks well to players around him. Think the big man will be an important league player for us this season.

His second half performance is exactly what Lundstram is about. All over the park winning the ball and leading the press up the park out of possession. Getting better every game.

I think he’s got an 87% pass completion in all matches. He barely wasted a pass tonight and he showed he’s got the ability to mix it - opened up play with a couple of quick balls into wider areas. Certainly getting better.
Stats don't tell you everything.
His passing was mostly easy stuff and even then it was more hitting a cone than moving the game on.
That game was easy for a player in his position.
You may as well mention that our goalkeeper didn't put a foot wrong.
I don't like being critical and if JL can use tonight to kick on then I will be overjoyed.

Played well all match , better second half than first I think he stepped forward a few yards . If it wasn’t for Goldson he would have been my Mom.

Anyone else thinking Davis and Lundstrom can't really play together and look far better when the other is out the team.

I didn't think we'd be signing our eventual Davis replacement in Lundstrom. I thought he'd be a more B2B mid but he seems to play very well as a DLP mid. Hopefully he continues to put performances in like the last couple of games and kicks on.

Reactions: Baz
My MOTM tonight, great ball winner and normally has a good range of passing, isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as Davis - but very good in the role.
Might not be as technically smooth as Davis, but I'd argue his power, strength and ability to win the ball back quickly will help him stand out in some matches Davis might struggle in.

Should have started on Sunday and done well tonight. I’d like to see him pushing to the right of Davis in some games breaking into the box. Reckon he’s got a few goals in him.

My motm tonight, nothing spectacular from him but a solid performance snubbing out any threat on our goal.

It's pretty rancid seeing some trying to do absolutely anything to undermine what was a solid performance because it impacts their opportunity to get stuck into the guy.

I've seen a lot of Rangers players get a raw deal on here but never the out and out dislike that Lundstram has had.

His ability to receive and play good passes with both feet is also very good as well. For being predominantly right footed he’s really good with his left.

He really came on to a good game in the second half.in saying that he was a bit tentative in the early stage of the first half but I think he was trying play his way into the game and keeping it safe so that the crowd would lay off him a bit.

Stats don't tell you everything.
His passing was mostly easy stuff and even then it was more hitting a cone than moving the game on.
That game was easy for a player in his position.
You may as well mention that our goalkeeper didn't put a foot wrong.
I don't like being critical and if JL can use tonight to kick on then I will be overjoyed.

He was better than both Kamara and Aribo. He moved the ball more purposefully than Aribo did.

Indifferent first half, like many others, but stepped up to the plate in the second. Craigan being the useless prick he is, didn’t even mention him as a contender fir MOTM.

Did well tonight against a shit Livi team (but that’s not his fault). However I remain far from convinced that he has the ability to be a first team regular starter, far less a replacement for Davis. I fear for us if he is. We need better.

The original Lundstram thread will be getting bumped if his performances continue to improve.

Credit when it’s due. He had a good game tonight. Still not sure how we’ll get the best out of him. That’s not a criticism of the player thinking more of our system and how he fits in.

It would appear so.
Think i was watching the same game as him. Lost the ball continuously first half and should’ve been booked for exactly the same tackle he got sent off for in Europe. Played better second half but too often slowed the pace down. Was hoping he’d turned a corner before this game but nothing convinced me that he’s going to be anything special for us. Hope very much he proves me wrong though.

Think i was watching the same game as him. Lost the ball continuously first half and should’ve been booked for exactly the same tackle he got sent off for in Europe. Played better second half but too often slowed the pace down. Was hoping he’d turned a corner before this game but nothing convinced me that he’s going to be anything special for us. Hope very much he proves me wrong though.

those who watched the game tonight, already know your wrong. the key is actually watching the game before making an opinion.

Back