John Lundstram

Mediocre first half. Excellent second half. He is a bit ponderous on the ball but he nullified their minimal attacking threat with his interceptions.

Mediocre first half. Excellent second half. He is a bit ponderous on the ball but he nullified their minimal attacking threat with his interceptions.

first half i thought he was the least ponderous in getting it out to Nathan
others were slower

He got 2 spontaneous rounds of applause after tackles/interceptions which shows he is progressing. KT on RTV was saying he should move further forward - he flourished by doing that in the 2nd half. He still looks likely to be booked if robbed of the ball. Major progress.

Yet they still wanted an England call up and a contract extension. Fleck, Berge, Norwood all got it tight for their performances last season. They weren’t happy that Lundstram let his contract run down. Poor performances last season, team relegated, one of their own removed from the managers position.

I bet had Lundstram signed a new contract, they would have been delighted.

Some three month purple patch;

Sprints? I don't believe it for a second. Don't think I've ever seen him sprint.

If he's actually got pace liked claimed, he certainly doesn't show it, which would be frustrating. He looks slower than the classic "slower than a week in jail" Helander (who more than makes up for it in his reading of the game).

Big improvement in the 2nd half last night though, not to the level to be a first 11 player when everyone is fit, but he could be useful to the squad if he keeps that up and give Davis a rest in easier games.

Last edited:
I have only watched the game back, had other commitments last night,

It is clear reading some either.

A: don't watch every Rangers game and just tend to follow trends on FF and Twitter to seem knowledgeable

B: take way too much pride in their internet monikers and aren't going to admit they are wrong

Lundstram isn't the first player we have signed who will face this, won't be the last, some just need to find a narrative for a player and utterly stick to that regardless of what the players do game to game

After a few mistakes when he first came in, people questioned what he could do to win the fans back. I said all he could do was keep his head down and cut out the mistakes. He’s done that the past few games and he’s playing well. He’s played a lot better than Davis has recently so should see a spell on the bench for Davis for a little bit and lundstram can keep playing in that deep midfielder role.

He's found his position, in that Davis role
You’re probably right, but that creates a problem in itself also if SD is dropping in and out.

He should be ok against shite like Livingston at home, but I wouldn’t trust him away at Hibs, Sheep or Celtic etc

You’re probably right, but that creates a problem in itself also if SD is dropping in and out
Not really with the way Davis has played this season so far. He’s not at the undroppable level he was last season. Dropping him right now wouldn’t negatively affect our play like it would have last season. Lundstram is playing better than Davis currently which means lundstram should be playing ahead of him.

Not really with the way Davis has played this season so far. He’s not at the undroppable level he was last season. Dropping him right now wouldn’t negatively affect our play like it would have last season. Lundstram is playing better than Davis currently which means lundstram should be playing ahead of him.
I mean more in terms of the fitness drop off mate given his age. Look at what Davie Weir was like, as soon as he dropped out that was him done fitness wise and he gave it up soon after.

Id still have Davis over Lundstram for any big match

I mean more in terms of the fitness drop off mate given his age. Look at what Davie Weir was like, as soon as he dropped out that was him done fitness wise and he gave it up soon after.

Id still have Davis over Lundstram for any big match

Davis is definitely still first choice for the holding position, no question.

Lundstram will need to do much more to take the position off him, but at least we've now got a credible option/replacement for the position.

Lundstram certainly looks more comfortable centrally, as opposed to playing on the right or left of Davis.

So far, he looks ordinary to me. His prime attributes are his height/size and his mobility.

Must do better.

I fully agree that was a better performance from JL last night - than any of his previous games

That could well be because he suits the position he played in - & presumably he doesn't suit being further wide alongside Davis

However part of me hopes he can get used to that role in the future - because having both of them on form & complementing each other - could be a really solid pairing IMO

Some really warped opinions re: Lundstram – up there with the worst I've seen for new players. Is it just that his face doesn't fit or something?

We've had players written off early before (almost everyone), but not quite as vehemently as this with seemingly no route to return and complete lack of acknowledgement for anything positive he's doing.

Slower than Helander ffs.

Some really warped opinions re: Lundstram – up there with the worst I've seen for new players. Is it just that his face doesn't fit or something?

We've had players written off early before (almost everyone), but not quite as vehemently as this with seemingly no route to return and complete lack of acknowledgement for anything positive he's doing.

There is always a player who the numpties target but it does seem quite personal with Lundstram. It's weird. And the thing about his supposed lack of pace doesn't make sense either. Is he any slower than Jack, Davis or Kamara? Pace isn't something I generally look for in a CM as long as they are mobile and JL clearly is.

Much better from him last night, be good for Lundstram to get a few games on the bounce let him build on it and get some momentum

I thought he was very good last night. Covered a lot of ground and was all over the centre of the park. Played with desire and you can tell he wants to win a place in the starting 11. I think he will come good after a few games on the bounce.

There is always a player who the numpties target but it does seem quite personal with Lundstram. It's weird. And the thing about his supposed lack of pace doesn't make sense either. Is he any slower than Jack, Davis or Kamara? Pace isn't something I generally look for in a CM as long as they are mobile and JL clearly is.

Certainly does seem personal for a few.

And I'm not saying he's suddenly outstanding or people should already be back onside — but folk pretending he's still done nothing good? Exaggerating how slow he is?

icegif-4588.gif

I don't get it either but then some people still have it in for Goldson and Tav despite everything they've done for us, especially last season.

I thought in Lundstram's first couple of games he looked quite sluggish and was turned too easily, however those saying he doesn't have any pace are miles off the mark.

The majority of time where pace is needed during a game is normally over a 5 - 10 yard distance

Obviously if a forward / winger has to run alongside a defender on a break-away - a sprinter's quality is needed over a much greater distance

But I'd argue that a holding midfielder's role - covering the middle third of the pitch - being able to match runners between both penalty areas - requires a bit more than mobility to be effective

The successful players in this role are pretty fast over shorter distances & have the stamina to keep it up over 90+ minutes

I take the point that our other midfielders aren't generally considered pacy though - & therefore it might be unfair criticising JL

However I would say JL can look a bit slow at times & maybe he's not up to full fitness yet but I'd also question his stamina so far

I've got faith that JL will become a success with us by the way - but I can understand the 'lack of pace' comments nevertheless

I thought he did a helluva lot of good work in front of the defence last night and also played a few nice balls through. He’s one of those players who does a lot of work the fans don’t notice or appreciate. He’s still settling in and I’m far from ready to give up on the guy
I think looking bad in a bad team probably isn’t quite as bad as looking bad in a good team. Hopefully as the performances improve he can improve too, cause I think it’s fair to say with most of his poor performances the team have been poor too, then you look at the Madrid game, and it’s night and day.

Mainly completely written off before he'd even signed by people sad enough to spend their time scrolling through Sheffield Utd forums.

I have only watched the game back, had other commitments last night,

It is clear reading some either.

A: don't watch every Rangers game and just tend to follow trends on FF and Twitter to seem knowledgeable

B: take way too much pride in their internet monikers and aren't going to admit they are wrong

Lundstram isn't the first player we have signed who will face this, won't be the last, some just need to find a narrative for a player and utterly stick to that regardless of what the players do game to game
It will always be like that on this forum.
Opinions vary.Which they always should.

As for Lundstram it is up to him what happens next.
He needs to merit playing in every game, like every player, in my opinion.
Not just be shoe horned in like he was at the beginning of the season.
Which was detrimental to him and us as a team.
This was a mistake.

If he can do this. Consistently.
Then he will always get my support.

The majority of time where pace is needed during a game is normally over a 5 - 10 yard distance

Obviously if a forward / winger has to run alongside a defender on a break-away - a sprinter's quality is needed over a much greater distance

But I'd argue that a holding midfielder's role - covering the middle third of the pitch - being able to match runners between both penalty areas - requires a bit more than mobility to be effective

The successful players in this role are pretty fast over shorter distances & have the stamina to keep it up over 90+ minutes

I take the point that our other midfielders aren't generally considered pacy though - & therefore it might be unfair criticising JL

However I would say JL can look a bit slow at times & maybe he's not up to full fitness yet but I'd also question his stamina so far

I've got faith that JL will become a success with us by the way - but I can understand the 'lack of pace' comments nevertheless
^^ This guy just fcukin loves a paragraph!

One of the incidents that stayed with me from last nights match was they tried to pop a ball over balogun who stretched and headed it clear to Goldson - who slipped and lost his footing - as LivI Lion tried to burst onto It JL nicked in front and took control of the ball nicely and tidied up the exposure as they could have been able to drive thru the defence . Was good play . He was mentally sharp too .

however I do sometimes wonder if JL does and can add a little sharpness to those situations that need a little more dynamism . Clearly he has enough pace and tbf One of his attractions is he can put a strong driving run together .

id agree he has begun to find himself and also agree with Gary Mac that he has more and I think we will get it . It’s just how much more .

Last edited:
So many flipping their opinions on the basis of one game. He needed more games to allow any sort of judgement to be made when loads were slagging him and he still does to “ prove” he is the second coming

Whilst Lundstram didn't 'hit the ground running' for us initially he seems to be improving and finding his way now. In his favour he wants the ball and doesn't hide despite one or two high profile mistakes.

I thought that our midfield lacked a player with a bit of dig or someone not afraid of a tough tackle or to put the boot in and certainly since Jack got long term injured. He may not have shown enough of those attributes up to now but I get the feeling that will come with more appearances and is what Gerrard and the management team wanted him for. Judgement on him should be left until later the New Year.

If Ryan Jack put in the level of performance Lundstram did in the 2nd half yesterday, it woulnd't even be discussed as he's vastly superior and that would be a reasonably poor performance for him. But because Lundstram has started so terribly at the club, people are hyping up an average performance as something amazing. Best player on the park, brilliant, fantastic.

Improved yes, probably massively because the bar was pretty low, but he did nothing brilliant. We've seen massively better performances from every one of our midfielders, Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Arfield against much better opposition but there are no hysterics. He has a long way to go and a lot of improving to be one of our better midfielders when everyone is fit.

Decent squad player and backup, an improvement on our previous backups such as Arfield? The jury is out, it's only 1 good half of football. He's got a lot to do, hopefully he keeps improving.

Last edited:
Every time Lundstram does well @Truffle Shuffle has to find more tedious and imaginative ways to be critical of him, read that post man, what the fck, imagine being that much a prck about a Rangers player.

The boy literally said this about him, chocking for him to fail.

4 games wasn't it that Marcus Gayle played for us before being moved on.
I'd be onto clubs like Burnley who were apparently interested in him and see if we can move him on quickly for a little profit.

Last edited:
If Ryan Jack put in the level of performance Lundstram did in the 2nd half yesterday, it woulnd't even be discussed as he's vastly superior and that would be a reasonably poor performance for him. But because Lundstram has started so terribly at the club, people are hyping up an average performance as something amazing. Best player on the park, brilliant, fantastic.

Improved yes, but he did nothing brilliant. We've seen massively better performances from every one of our midfielders, Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Arfield against much better opposition but there are no hysterics. He has a long way to go and a lot of improving to be one of our better midfielders when everyone is fit.

Decent squad player and backup, an improvement on our previous backups? The jury is out, it's only 1 good half of football. Anything more, he's got a lot to do.
No bother mate

Back