John Lundstram

He was a free transfer from Sheff Utd. Who said he was “taking us to the next level?”.

He's one of the highest earners at the club, so folk are entitled to expect him to be of a quality that reflects that. Having said that, it's early doors. I've not been particularly impressed by him so far but I expect it'll take him some time to adjust to Scottish football and the difference in mentality between playing for a club that expects to win every game and where he's been previously.

We've been fortunate in that guys like Goldson and Kamara have adjusted pretty quickly in recent seasons but realistically the days of signing players who already have that experience are gone. We have to give players time to adjust.

If Ryan Jack put in the level of performance Lundstram did in the 2nd half yesterday, it woulnd't even be discussed as he's vastly superior and that would be a reasonably poor performance for him. But because Lundstram has started so terribly at the club, people are hyping up an average performance as something amazing. Best player on the park, brilliant, fantastic.

Improved yes, probably massively because the bar was pretty low, but he did nothing brilliant. We've seen massively better performances from every one of our midfielders, Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Arfield against much better opposition but there are no hysterics. He has a long way to go and a lot of improving to be one of our better midfielders when everyone is fit.

Decent squad player and backup, an improvement on our previous backups such as Arfield? The jury is out, it's only 1 good half of football. He's got a lot to do, hopefully he keeps improving.
I think we are missing Arfield. He was the one midfielder who would get in the box beyond the strikers.

I think we are missing Arfield. He was the one midfielder who would get in the box beyond the strikers.
Thats what Lundstram's was expected to be from everyone who had seen him I think, as arriving late in the box is a strength of his. Now he is oddly getting papped in the number 6 role.

If Ryan Jack put in the level of performance Lundstram did in the 2nd half yesterday, it woulnd't even be discussed as he's vastly superior and that would be a reasonably poor performance for him. But because Lundstram has started so terribly at the club, people are hyping up an average performance as something amazing. Best player on the park, brilliant, fantastic.

Improved yes, probably massively because the bar was pretty low, but he did nothing brilliant. We've seen massively better performances from every one of our midfielders, Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Arfield against much better opposition but there are no hysterics. He has a long way to go and a lot of improving to be one of our better midfielders when everyone is fit.

Decent squad player and backup, an improvement on our previous backups such as Arfield? The jury is out, it's only 1 good half of football. He's got a lot to do, hopefully he keeps improving.

If your auntie had baws...

Being honest nobody should be expecting Ryan Jack to perform in a Rangers midfield again this year.

He's one of the highest earners at the club, so folk are entitled to expect him to be of a quality that reflects that. Having said that, it's early doors. I've not been particularly impressed by him so far but I expect it'll take him some time to adjust to Scottish football and the difference in mentality between playing for a club that expects to win every game and where he's been previously.

We've been fortunate in that guys like Goldson and Kamara have adjusted pretty quickly in recent seasons but realistically the days of signing players who already have that experience are gone. We have to give players time to adjust.

How do you know he is one of the highest earners?

The salaries of Rangers players are kept very secret, the club only publishes total wage bills, from the totals we know a lot of people are getting a lot of money, but we don't know how much each individual is getting.

FOOTBALL - The Times

John Lundstram will win over his doubters but is ‘trying too hard’​

Lundstram has made a slow start to his Ibrox career

Rangers midfielder John Lundstram may be trying too hard to impress and might have to cut down his running in order to offer more during games, according to Gary McAllister.

The former Sheffield United man has had a patchy start to his Ibrox career although he had one of his better performances in their Premier Sports Cup defeat of Livingston. Some supporters have been impatient about the 27-year-old’s impact but McAllister, the Rangers assistant manager, insists there is plenty to come.

“It’s about him getting to know the system and positional sense, where we want him to be positioned when we are building,” McAllister said. “Sometimes his eagerness to try and impact the game or influence the game [means] he’s running around maybe too much.
I suppose with more experience and coaching from the guys in and around the football club he’ll definitely get better. I thought he played very well [against Livingston].

“The facts are he is playing in a system that is new to him and it’s very competitive in the middle of the park as well. I think it’s his eagerness and his willingness to actually do well. He’s maybe trying too hard. But every day in training he is getting more comfortable in the position and what his role can be in the team.”

Meanwhile, Ianis Hagi said Rangers’ support had been crucial while he was in quarantine after testing positive for Covid-19. The Romanian made an influential comeback in the Livingston tie. “It’s been two weeks that have been really tough for me mentally, to be away from football, away from training, away from games, from the fans,” Hagi said. “It [the club’s support] has been unbelievable.”

FOOTBALL - The Times

Rangers midfielder John Lundstram may be trying too hard to impress and might have to cut down his running in order to offer more during games, according to Gary McAllister.

The former Sheffield United man has had a patchy start to his Ibrox career although he had one of his better performances in their Premier Sports Cup defeat of Livingston. Some supporters have been impatient about the 27-year-old’s impact but McAllister, the Rangers assistant manager, insists there is plenty to come.

“It’s about him getting to know the system and positional sense, where we want him to be positioned when we are building,” McAllister said. “Sometimes his eagerness to try and impact the game or influence the game [means] he’s running around maybe too much.
I suppose with more experience and coaching from the guys in and around the football club he’ll definitely get better. I thought he played very well [against Livingston].

“The facts are he is playing in a system that is new to him and it’s very competitive in the middle of the park as well. I think it’s his eagerness and his willingness to actually do well. He’s maybe trying too hard. But every day in training he is getting more comfortable in the position and what his role can be in the team.”

Meanwhile, Ianis Hagi said Rangers’ support had been crucial while he was in quarantine after testing positive for Covid-19. The Romanian made an influential comeback in the Livingston tie. “It’s been two weeks that have been really tough for me mentally, to be away from football, away from training, away from games, from the fans,” Hagi said. “It [the club’s support] has been unbelievable.”

FWIW - I fully agree with GMcA's comments/ assessment of JL so far & said as much in earlier posts

JL probably had a 'freer' role at previous clubs - or at least was a lot more used to his teammates
He's now got a job that's maybe slightly different to what he's been used to - & being 27 maybe it's 'an old dog new tricks' thing

I just wish he'd got up to speed before now - but his last performance suggests he's getting there
Hope it's all good from here on in

FOOTBALL - The Times

Barry Ferguson wrote a similar article today, saying he was a standout at Sheff Utd and will be an excellent signing when he adjusts to our style of play.

You'd think Ferguson, McAllister and Gerrard would know a good midfielder when they see one.
It's pretty clear he is getting better with every game, so I'm happy enough to give him a bit of time to adjust.

When Ryan Jack has a poor game, it disappears into thin air. I like Jack but the selective history on the guy is embarrassing

I sometimes wonder what people thought we were getting when Lundstram signed. In reality, what we were getting was an OK midfielder from what was arguably one of the weakest teams in the EPL.
Lundstam is not a 'game-changer', someone who with a flash of skill or brilliance can turn a game around. What we have in Lundstram is a player who at best can perform competently in a midfield role that doesn't require him to be something that he clearly isn't.

Barry Ferguson wrote a similar article today, saying he was a standout at Sheff Utd and will be an excellent signing when he adjusts to our style of play.

You'd think Ferguson, McAllister and Gerrard would know a good midfielder when they see one.
It's pretty clear he is getting better with every game, so I'm happy enough to give him a bit of time to adjust.
Christ, getting praise from bazza is like the board giving the manager a vote of confidence!

Lundstrom needs a bit of time hes used to playing in a defensive team who dont see a lot of possession now hes in a team that has a lot of the ball and looking to create so he will take time to settle

You must have a had a run in with the guy before he got to Rangers, there is really no other explanation for your vitriolic dislike of the player.

The worst case of a player being hounded by a poster I've ever seen on here. Disgraceful stuff.

I think big John has moved from a 4/10 to a
6/10 he couldn’t really play any worse but a premiership player on 30 ish grand a week he needs to do a lot more than the odd tackle and square passes

I think big John has moved from a 4/10 to a
6/10 he couldn’t really play any worse but a premiership player on 30 ish grand a week he needs to do a lot more than the odd tackle and square passes
you mean like interception and pass that led to the first goal the other night, or the pressing that led to the second?

I'm not saying he's now brilliant because of it, but I honestly wonder if half the folk on this thread have actually watched us this season.

I honestly can’t remember Ryan Jack having a poor game.

The amount of people that fail to grasp the Ryan Jack role is simply baffling.
The infamous "Worrall" game at Rugby Park. One of the reasons for that blunder was that he wasn't making himself available to the defenders, when they pass it out. That's just one off the top of my head.

As for your 2nd point, I agree, that's why I find it baffling that people say we miss him when playing lesser sides, when his role isn't really needed in those ties.

Back