John Lundstram

Gios_Gillet

We haven't seen much of him since Gio arrived although it's still early days but I'm interested to see what the bears think, does he have much of a future under Gio.

Last edited:
I wonder how he is feeling now Gerrard has left as he is suppose to be his football hero. If his wage rumours are true we can't afford to be paying that for someone who doesn't get a game.
I feel like Gerrard signed him based in his performance in a certain role at Sheffield United then gave him a different role here and he has struggled to adapt. Need to try give him game time at some point to see if he can make it with us or at least make some money on him. If he's not going to play he won't even seem worth a punt by other teams. End up with him on big wages but not even a regular. Won't be good for the dressing room

For what it's worth I do think he could potentially play in games where we need 2 in midfield alongside someone like kamara who can influence play more. Has the ability to break play up. Not as good as Jack though but we will see what happens with him

Very early days for him under Gio but so far he has mainly been used in a 'closer' role, similar to Zungu last season. And while that role certainly has its merits, I would say not so much for a player who is rumoured to be our highest paid.

Based on what I have seen so far I think it would be best for him to move on at the end of the season. Unless he seriously steps up before then.

Early days for a lot of players and gio doesn’t look like he tinkers much with the team. Could maybe see us trying to offload Lundstrum back down south to free up some funds
He may tinker with the team more later in the season depending how close it is but no point doing it now. Right now we need stability and he's brought that already, funny that he would even need to considering we won the league last season with this squad but we definitely looked out of sorts till he came in

If we still class ourselves as having 6 central midfielders including Aribo, then Lundstram is that 6th pick. The 5 ahead of him are simply superior and John, will play as he was signed for, a free transfer/squad filler.

As others have said, for the money we are reported to be paying him he needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet. If he is not going to be a regular we need to think about whether it might be best to try and move him on and use the money a bit more sensibly in my opinion

The deal stinks of agent/pal favour. Absolutely no way we should be paying someone the reported wages he's on for what he offers.
I don't know, we were linked with him for ages, when the rumours first came out most on here seemed happy about it as he'd been playing well. By the time the season finished people were a bit more skeptical tho.

At the moment i would sell in the summer.
He s been poor imo and we would get a fee and large salary freed up.

He's done and will be back down the road in the summer (if we can shift him)
Prior to Gio arriving, there was a spell where he was in and about every calamitous goal we lost.
As other have said, defensive mid to see out a game, but that's about it.

Lazy and slow in thought, lacklustre to the extreme and has cost us more goals than he's played decent games. 19 appearances, 3 decent performance and the rest rubbish.

Ita frustrating to watch a player half arse it so much, jogging back at half pace when he loses his man when any of us would run ourselves into the ground for the team.

If he gave everything for the jersey he'd be good enough to be a squad player, he's got plenty good attributes. But he's ultimately the Coulibably or Zungu of this season, except they tried a bit more.

Hopefully we can punt him in January for the reputed wages, he's probably Gerrards worst signing.

Last edited:
He’s not a bad player but I don’t think he’s ever going to get to the level we’d hope whereas you can now see Sakala settling in.

If we could get a few quid for him I’d sell and try again.

Lazy and slow in thought, lacklustre to the extreme and has cost us more goals than he's played decent games. 19 appearances, 3 decent performance and the rest rubbish.

Ita frustrating to watch a player half arse it so much, jogging back at half pace when he loses his man when any of us would run ourselves into the ground for the team.

If he gave everything for the jersey he'd be good enough to be a squad player, he's got plenty good attributes. But he's ultimately the Coulibably or Zungu of this season, except they tried a bit more.

Hopefully we can punt him in January for the reputed wages, he's probably Gerrards worst signing.
Couldn't say I disagree with any of that TBH.

Best performance was against Hearts.

Something a read / saw early in GVB appointment was that he is not big on player rotation... McGregor has played every game... and his changes are mostly tactical, set up against opposition / tactical in-game changes. So unless Lundstrum pushes Kamara/ Jack / Davis off there spot it looks to me like he might only feature through injuries or some in-game tactical change.

No harm to him but he should be surplus to requirements come the summer. He is at the very top of our glass ceiling wage bracket and for that outlay you'd think Gio would have somebody much better in mind.
That's what gets me about him. If he is indeed one of our top earners then he has been a truly dreadful signing. His form at Sheffield was poor and it is at least possible that his contract has led to issues within the squad (e.g. Goldson). On the pitch for us poor performances outnumber his rare dominant displays. With Ryan Jack coming back it is hard to see him getting much game time. Won't be surprised if Gio looks to ship him out.

Gio clearly favours Kamara in that holding role however if Kamara was to get injured, lose form or even move on, that position could be Lundstrams, dovetailing with Jack
He done well in there on his own without Davis or Kamara around him and produced motm performances. Yeah he's had a few shaky moments but who hadn't. He's able to move froward into space and pass the ball quicker than Davis or Kamara imo.

One goal apart v Hearts he has offered nothing. He is far too slow and his passes have usually been safe, as in sideways or backwards. The goal we lost at Paisley sums him up.

He hasn't done too much wrong but that's because, based on what I have seen, he doesn't do too much of anything.

Then there is the money you hear he is on. Not my forte whatsoever, but factor in he cost the club nothing then you can at least imagine he has upset the applecart within the squad. A truly baffling signing, given what he has to offer.

I don't see anyone offering anything other than a limited fee for him, so we can only hope he turns up for us when required.

He had performed well in the EPL in his first season for Sheffield Utd and a player moving from that level to Scotland isn’t going to be on buttons to be fair
The average wage in the EPL is £44,000 per week.
Taking that into context.
Ronaldo is on 12 times that.
8 Liverpool players earn around 5 times that. Man City have 3 players who combined earn the average salary of 25 players.
Man utd top 11 players average 10 times the average.
Then you Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs salaries.
Vardy and a few other special players at clubs.

That means that at the bottom half of the table, the vast majority of the squads would be earning an average of £15 - 20,000 a week.

John McGinn plays just about every week for Villa and earns £25k a week.

Lundstram ain't on and never will have been paid £70k a week.

And Goldson might be holding out for more money, but he isn't guaranteed to get an offer much higher than what Rangers are paying him.

Why do folk undervalue our players so much?

He had EPL sides trying to sign him in the summer. He is English, which means he has a huge premium attached to him, plus the January premium, plus he is on a long deal with us.

We would be able to sell him to an EPL side for a fair whack of money in January, maybe 7 or 8 million. He's probably the most likely candidate to be sold to free up some funds.

If he can't force his way into the side then I suspect that history will remember him (rather unfairly) as a total flop. The reality is he's had some good games and can definitely contribute, but if he's on the money thats rumoured then I suspect we'll try to shift him in the summer.

Why do folk undervalue our players so much?

He had EPL sides trying to sign him in the summer. He is English, which means he has a huge premium attached to him, plus the January premium, plus he is on a long deal with us.

We would be able to sell him to an EPL side for a fair whack of money in January, maybe 7 or 8 million. He's probably the most likely candidate to be sold to free up some funds.

Mate no one is paying £8m for him. No one. He’s come
Up here and barely kicked a ball.

I think he still has a part to play under Gio. It's early days for everyone but there is no way we can go the rest of the season rotating between Davis, Arfield and Kamara. Jack still looks another 3-4 weeks before he's ready to play 90 mins too.

His performances have to improve but I still believe he has the raw attributes to be a success for us. Whether he himself wants to be a success is the question I find myself asking.

The average wage in the EPL is £44,000 per week.
Taking that into context.
Ronaldo is on 12 times that.
8 Liverpool players earn around 5 times that. Man City have 3 players who combined earn the average salary of 25 players.
Man utd top 11 players average 10 times the average.
Then you Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs salaries.
Vardy and a few other special players at clubs.

That means that at the bottom half of the table, the vast majority of the squads would be earning an average of £15 - 20,000 a week.

John McGinn plays just about every week for Villa and earns £25k a week.

Lundstram ain't on and never will have been paid £70k a week.

And Goldson might be holding out for more money, but he isn't guaranteed to get an offer much higher than what Rangers are paying him.

I didn’t claim he would be on £70k a week to be fair. I’d have expected him to be on around £15-20k a week although that’s just my own guess.

Up here been told he was around £30k a week with a heavy signing on fee

As a guy he seems like someone who would want to play than sit and earn. If we get a big in January for a few million, that’s a good flip on someone who came for free. I’d like him to work out, so far when I think of him it’s people brushing by him then the ref gets the yellow out.

Back