John Lundstram

Very early days for him under Gio but so far he has mainly been used in a 'closer' role, similar to Zungu last season. And while that role certainly has its merits, I would say not so much for a player who is rumoured to be our highest paid.

Based on what I have seen so far I think it would be best for him to move on at the end of the season. Unless he seriously steps up before then.
Newcastle till the end of the season?

We’ve been playing better because we have a new, hungry manager in charge that’s has made a few changes here and there.

Not because Lundstram isn’t in the team.
Ofcourse manager been excellent but always surprises me how little credit the players get.

They were slaughtered under Gerrard it was all their fault nothing to do with tactics. Remember tactics and formations mean nothing when players dont perform, thats what we heard.

I dont anyone would change the team and put Lundstram back in. He could still play a small part as a sub closing games out hes not bad at that when keeping it simple... i must admit though if other players in the squad were annoyed about his wages i could understand that not suggesting its JL to blame right enough.

He's too slow to play in a team that needs to be on the front foot. Not just in terms of pace, but in decision making also. He doesn't look technically gifted enough to impress a Dutch coach, he's just a poor fit for our team, and one i hope we can sell to generate some revenue in January.

I know but money talks and don’t think Boro could afford the money being talked about for his wages? For what it’s worth I think he’s decent, just too much of the same thing in that area

It seems Lundstram is fast becoming the new Defoe. Remember when the loonies passed it off as fact that he was on 65k a week at Rangers?

The truth is nobody knows what Lundstram is earning and whether or not Boro could afford him.

Just on Lundstram, I was listening to the H&H Monday show earlier and David made a pretty good point about the midfield. He was pointing out that Gerrard and Beale’s system was quite a difficult one for new midfield additions to become accustomed to and he is right because the two deeper midfielders need to know how and when to cover the marauding full backs and also provide the link between the two number 10s.

There are loads of examples of midfielders who took time to get used to the system. Davis for instance. People wrote him off as being done until he finally settled into his role in the team and we got two great seasons out of him. Docherty never really got the hang of it. Zungu another one. Even Kamara got a while to get going and had a few really bad games, most notably Braga at home.

Maybe the same applies to Lundstram and now Gio’s in his approach tactically is a lot more simplistic in that it seems to be a classic 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 which is obviously a lot easier for the deeper midfielders because now our full backs are sitting deeper to provide more cover.

Perhaps that will suit Lundstram a little better. Either way let’s hope he gets a good run out against Lyon so we can see what he’s all about under Gio’s instructions.

At least one thing is settled, he’s scoring the winner on Jan 2nd and worth every penny :shh:

Bit-part player for me IMO.

Someone for game management purposes like if we're holding onto a lead going into the last 20-minutes or so and need someone with some muscle and an engine to soak up the pressure and take the weight off others with heavy legs or whatever.

Given what he's (rumoured to be) on per week that does sound like an expensive luxury but we need to do the best with what we've got.

He had a couple of good games the other month but overall I've not seen it with him.
I agree but with jack quite injury prone and arfield nearing an end of his career he is an option in that position. I still think we will start to see alot of these squad players go and European talent brought in

Just on Lundstram, I was listening to the H&H Monday show earlier and David made a pretty good point about the midfield. He was pointing out that Gerrard and Beale’s system was quite a difficult one for new midfield additions to become accustomed to and he is right because the two deeper midfielders need to know how and when to cover the marauding full backs and also provide the link between the two number 10s.

There are loads of examples of midfielders who took time to get used to the system. Davis for instance. People wrote him off as being done until he finally settled into his role in the team and we got two great seasons out of him. Docherty never really got the hang of it. Zungu another one. Even Kamara got a while to get going and had a few really bad games, most notably Braga at home.

Maybe the same applies to Lundstram and now Gio’s in his approach tactically is a lot more simplistic in that it seems to be a classic 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 which is obviously a lot easier for the deeper midfielders because now our full backs are sitting deeper to provide more cover.

Perhaps that will suit Lundstram a little better. Either way let’s hope he gets a good run out against Lyon so we can see what he’s all about under Gio’s instructions.
That's a fair point.

I don't think he is that bad but i did expect more.

Can be slow and ponderous, thought he would put himself about more and can shite out of a block or tackle with ease.

But we have written off better quicker so quite happy to let Gio and his team have a look at him and decide.

We should easily be able to make money on him though, even taking the higher wage guesstimates into account.

Let's be honest, the guy is rubbish and it doesn't look as though Gio is interested in him, which isn't a surprise.

Clearly a Gerrard signing and even he didn't fancy him.

I think his stock might still be high enough with championship sides and we could maybe get a few million for him in January.
A fair assessment of his first half season.

What a job Gio has done in turning him around. All credit to JL too obvs, he's proven me and many others wrong. Top player.

Lazy and slow in thought, lacklustre to the extreme and has cost us more goals than he's played decent games. 19 appearances, 3 decent performance and the rest rubbish.

Ita frustrating to watch a player half arse it so much, jogging back at half pace when he loses his man when any of us would run ourselves into the ground for the team.

If he gave everything for the jersey he'd be good enough to be a squad player, he's got plenty good attributes. But he's ultimately the Coulibably or Zungu of this season, except they tried a bit more.

Hopefully we can punt him in January for the reputed wages, he's probably Gerrards worst signing.

He could well by the key tonight, if he hits the recent performance levels we have every chance.

Surely he stays beyond the Summer even if clubs become interested. He seems to now be loving his Football at Rangers after a tough start and our midfield is going to be built around him next season.

Perhaps Gerrard's best signing alongside Kamara.

He could well by the key tonight, if he hits the recent performance levels we have every chance.

Surely he stays beyond the Summer even if clubs become interested. He seems to now be loving his Football at Rangers after a tough start and our midfield is going to be built around him next season.

Perhaps Gerrard's best signing alongside Kamara.

He's been a great signing, I agree, but Goldson stands head and shoulders above any other Gerrard signing, for me.

Always fit and available for selection, plus he's dominated some top European strikers, as well as anything the mob across the city have put up against him.

I didn't comment on this at the time , which is my normal trait for disagreeing with a thread so calling this as a win for not slating him

A fair assessment of his first half season.

What a job Gio has done in turning him around. All credit to JL too obvs, he's proven me and many others wrong. Top player.

It's not really. You said the guy is rubbish. Whether he had a poor start or not, he was never a rubbish footballer.

Best midfielder we have just now and is solid.

The sending off for the qualifier and the subsequent poor performances shouldn't be forgotten tho. At the time he was absolute rank, no confidence and fans on his back. The thread is justified (well most) from last year as they were fair assumptions.

What a turn around and a mainstay for me.

I copped a fairly long ban because I reacted to the buffoonery of this thread. Still gives me the shivers reading some of the shite posted :))

He's playing a similar role ian ferguson did,protector in midfield and capable of scoring a goal or two....hope he drives us on tonight.

After the Ross County game when he played that stupid cross field pass, I wanted him fed to the dogs. Delighted to admit I may have slightly overreacted.
The thing was as even Gerrard pointed out, getting used to playing as a progressive as opposed to oppressive midfielder was no small ask. He needed to almost reinvent his game, but in the friendly against Real, I definitely knew there was a decent player in there. His journey was ugly but it backs up the theory that form is temporary, class is permanent.

A classic tale of a player who took time to adapt and settle to new surroundings and different demands. I had written him off as simply not good enough but he's certainly proving a few people wrong now - hope he has another MoTM performance tonight

The thing was as even Gerrard pointed out, getting used to playing as a progressive as opposed to oppressive midfielder was no small ask. He needed to almost reinvent his game, but in the friendly against Real, I definitely knew there was a decent player in there. His journey was ugly but it backs up the theory that form is temporary, class is permanent.
That was the end of January, dropping those points and the way we did it was criminal. I realise there was about 20 errors in the box before they got the 3rd, but their move started with that pass.

Quite a lot of posters on here clearly didn't know what he's worth.

*quickly checks I am wasn't one of them.

Best midfielder we have just now and is solid.

The sending off for the qualifier and the subsequent poor performances shouldn't be forgotten tho. At the time he was absolute rank, no confidence and fans on his back. The thread is justified (well most) from last year as they were fair assumptions.

What a turn around and a mainstay for me.

Please tell me you see the irony of your selected user name and then making a judgement on a player's ability after only five months:eek:?

Hateley is probably my favourite ever leader of the line at Rangers but he was mince for most of his first six months.

And, to be fair, I got him wrong. And McCoist. And Gattuso. And Amoruso, Bougherra............

Some fair hot takes on here about the lad early on.
Must admit I had him written off as well but by lord has he stuffed our doubts.
Quality Ranger.

Back