John Lundstram

If he can't force his way into the side then I suspect that history will remember him (rather unfairly) as a total flop. The reality is he's had some good games and can definitely contribute, but if he's on the money thats rumoured then I suspect we'll try to shift him in the summer.
This is the thing reality is I think he was a player bought to replace arfield which he doesn't offer same Ability..... hence arfield contact situation.

Or he was bought with the hope to get him playing and scoring then sell back to championship or lower epl club for double what we pay in wages at least if we do that is actually a successful but of business

One goal apart v Hearts he has offered nothing. He is far too slow and his passes have usually been safe, as in sideways or backwards. The goal we lost at Paisley sums him up.

He hasn't done too much wrong but that's because, based on what I have seen, he doesn't do too much of anything.

Then there is the money you hear he is on. Not my forte whatsoever, but factor in he cost the club nothing then you can at least imagine he has upset the applecart within the squad. A truly baffling signing, given what he has to offer.

I don't see anyone offering anything other than a limited fee for him, so we can only hope he turns up for us when required.

Hard to disagree with this. A big contract on big wages for us is the same as a big transfer fee and this guy has looked very ordinary.

I think we'd cut our losses given the chance and try to get someone else in.

This is the thing reality is I think he was a player bought to replace arfield which he doesn't offer same Ability..... hence arfield contact situation.

Or he was bought with the hope to get him playing and scoring then sell back to championship or lower epl club for double what we pay in wages at least if we do that is actually a successful but of business

Surely brought in to replace Davis???

If he can’t get into the side this season we should look to move him on in the summer

Should be able to get a decent fee for him

I was hoping he’d be an upgrade on Arfield. For the one season in the premier league he always seemed to be getting forward and scoring goals.

Been a bit of a mixed bag for him this season as far as performances are concerned.

He'll never be a regular starter, squad player at best.

I was hoping he’d be an upgrade on Arfield. For the one season in the premier league he always seemed to be getting forward and scoring goals.
For a supposedly athletic box to box creative he's been nothing of the sort ok he's been alright in patches in the holding midfield role but the wages and no doubt massive signing on fee he's been a complete waste of money.

Why do folk undervalue our players so much?

He had EPL sides trying to sign him in the summer. He is English, which means he has a huge premium attached to him, plus the January premium, plus he is on a long deal with us.

We would be able to sell him to an EPL side for a fair whack of money in January, maybe 7 or 8 million. He's probably the most likely candidate to be sold to free up some funds.
Living in a fantasy

Possibly you were like me and had complete faith in the manager's judgement?

It was not a hard thing to do in the close season.
Just not the player I had in mind at all, I thought we where getting a player who was industrious, box to box and would add some much needed strength and steal to the midfield, whilst also being able to pick out a pass. I thought the step down in quality would bring that player out of him but I think he's shown he's just a bottom half EPL/Championship plodder.

He's on £36,000 per week according to David Edgar.
The type of signing, with a wage that comes with it, is the sort of thing that splits dressing rooms.Instantly.

A bang average player comes from the EPL, and given an inflated wage, without proving himself.Then waltzes in the first team without merit.Meaning some who played a vital part in last season’s success, are dropped.Then when he takes time to settle, but continues to play anyway, and make the same mistakes, this is bound to cause unrest.With other players, and going by this thread some supporters.

Which in all honesty, none is the player’s fault.

Poor from Ross Wilson, and our ex manager for allowing this to happen.

And considering this signing had been touted for months, Before it eventually did,it might also be part…of the reason why Mr Goldson feels he now is worth an even more inflated wage!

That would be like bringing in Bert Konterman to replace Richard Gough. Not even close to having the same level of ability, attitude or work ethic.

I get that. I meant I thought he was a holding midfielder since that's mostly what we've seen from him-turns out that wasn't what he played.
Also do realise at his peak Davis wasn't a holding midfielder.

Hes played in 19 games in half a season.

His reputation is still in tact for now.

Sell in January when we can.

Maybe £8m is a reach but we can sell him for a damn sight more than the £2m some are pushing for him.
Getting him off the wage bill, however would be a start.

The type of signing, with a wage that comes with it, is the sort of thing that splits dressing rooms.Instantly.

A bang average player comes from the EPL, and given an inflated wage, without proving himself.Then waltzes in the first team without merit.Meaning some who played a vital part in last season’s success, are dropped.Then when he takes time to settle, but continues to play anyway, and make the same mistakes, this is bound to cause unrest.With other players, and going by this thread some supporters.

Which in all honesty, none is the player’s fault.

Poor from Ross Wilson, and our ex manager for allowing this to happen.

And considering this signing had been touted for months, Before it eventually did,it might also be part…of the reason why Mr Goldson feels he now is worth an even more inflated wage!

He didn't hold down a place did he though?

He didn't hold down a place did he though?
No but he waltzed into the team from the first pre season game against Tranmere, and until, he got sent off against Malmo, he then slowly.,.very slowly started getting less starting berths.
By that time we had already lost twice now against Malmo, and lost to the Arabs.
Which you could argue he played a considerable part …in each!

I would also add the reason that we are not seeing the real Steve Davis, also emmantes from when he was he dropped for Lundstram.
He hasn’t got full going yet, and once again there some who have written him off already for this season.

I am not buying you use him sparingly.Like Gerrard advocated.
Any player would find it hard having to stop, start throughout a season.
And when you are Davis’s age, that is probably, even harder.

Plus Davis for me, was our Player of the Season.Or at least one of many.And did not deserve to suddenly get dropped without reason.Unless of course he asked to.Which is highly doubtful.

Lyon is the perfect game for him. I'd also give Bacuna at least 30 mins and would quite happy if Aribo, Kent and Tav were rested.

Lyon is the perfect game for us to pick up £600k win bonus and an extra couple of ranking and coefficient points. They’ll rest lost of their side and will be there for the taking I want auto CL entry every season, not just this season.

36k a week could be used to better use!
Especially if that person is destined to be a bench warmer.
If someone is willing to take him on a loan to buy and cover his wage then that’ll be that.

GVB will want someone more athletic, superior and in tune with his style.

To have him sitting there and only featuring in dead rubber games is not worth our time, nor indeed his.

Has to go in January

Lyon is the perfect game for him. I'd also give Bacuna at least 30 mins and would quite happy if Aribo, Kent and Tav were rested.
Jesus christ, the guy couldn't keep up with an Alaskert midfielder and has cost us loads by way of sheer laziness, but you want to pop him in against Lyon, a game we could really do with winning.

Aye let's just accept a morale crushing hammering to give a 6th choice a game. Not to mention the money aspect.

Maybe there's validity if we draw Kelty Hearts or something in the cup, but Lyon?

Last edited:
If someone is willing to take him on a loan to buy and cover his wage then that’ll be that.

GVB will want someone more athletic, superior and in tune with his style.

To have him sitting there and only featuring in dead rubber games is not worth our time, nor indeed his.

Has to go in January
Man, I just love the way you think!
Couldn’t agree more.

Lunny is not a bad player, but we just can't afford to have more than 1 non-attacking midfielder on the pitch against diddy SPL teams.

Davis, Kamara and Lunny are non-attacking midfielders, so we should only be playing one of them. More attacking midfielders like Aribo, Arfield and Bacuna should be playing against the diddy teams.

Davis and Kamara are probably ahead of him in the pecking order so he might play very little this season. Also with Jack coming back that might means he gets even less game time.

Perhaps we should be looking to offload a midfielder in January, we have to many. Lunny might be a good candidate for selling.

He's been a huge disappointment.

I was astounded at his lack of athleticism and awareness when he first appeared.

Behind Jack, David, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield and probably Hagi when it comes to CM.
He looks like he is towing a caravan, when he moves.
And his first touch is abysmal, for someone so young.
Has the mobility of someone in their late 30’s!

Lunny is not a bad player, but we just can't afford to have more than 1 non-attacking midfielder on the pitch against diddy SPL teams.

Davis, Kamara and Lunny are non-attacking midfielders, so we should only be playing one of them. More attacking midfielders like Aribo, Arfield and Bacuna should be playing against the diddy teams.

Davis and Kamara are probably ahead of him in the pecking order so he might play very little this season. Also with Jack coming back that might means he gets even less game time.

Perhaps we should be looking to offload a midfielder in January, we have to many. Lunny might be a good candidate for selling.
Lunny?

I’d punt him in January. He’s now gonna have jack in front of him along with kamara and Davis and airfield. Can’t see him getting much game time.

He’s ultimately not good enough. There’s more evidence against his inclusion, than there is for. He’s cost us a lot of goals in his short time in the side. His 4 week period of being very good has been the exception, rather than the rule.

I’d like to see us look at loaning him back to England with an option to buy included. We should be looking at far better value for money than what JL had provided.

Poster boy for the slackness that characterised post-55 Rangers under Gerrard.

In an ideal world, he’s off down the road in January and we can try and use the money to get someone Gio wants in.
I would be happy if we just called it a draw and got him off the wage bill.
No disrespect to the lad but I don't think he and Rangers are a good fit.
This happens and if we got out of the situation financially unharmed and he was able to secure a good move for his career then there should be no hard feelings on either side.

Back