John Lundstram

Nobody had a good first half yesterday.

Lundstram and Tavernier were the driving force in the second half.

Not much else coming from anywhere in midfield or front line - mind you Sima was occupied protecting Yilmaz for most of the game.

Can only hope Cantwell and Danilo match fitness improve and we can get 90 mins out of both.

Dundee away -

Butland
Tav, Goldson, Davies, Sterling
Lundstram
Wright Cantwell Lammers Sima
Danilo

Assume Borna is still injured.

Better the further forward he plays, everything went through him second half, first half sitting too deep and didn't play well.

I don't think he's good enough to be our creative player in the midfield long term.

Acceptance of mediocrity seems to be the norm now.

A 'good' John Lundstrum is well short of what we need. I'll be delighted when he leaves.
A bit harsh maybe?

I think a 'good' JL has played for Rangers and bossed it at the highest level. Problem for me is all the other times, and that is more often than not, when he hasn't been that good.

Then he is well short, slow and cumbersome is being kind.

Depends on the deal offered, if one was, if he stays or goes for me. I won't be heartbroken either way with JL. He is the least of our problems right now.

Just have to drop in and remind people the figure that this man is in the middle of our pitch.. monumental performance yesterday and pulling the strings in the middle of that park all season. Don't forget he can run for longer than Mo Farah

Sign the contract, John.
Unfortunately for John the qualities you quote were sadly missing when he got himself deliberately booked in Naples in order to be suspended for the Ajax game at Ibrox.

An obvious two fingers to GVB which was never taken to task.

If we could have Lundstram in the second half all season then he's absolutely worth keeping but we've had enough of a sample size now to say with a degree of confidence that is unlikely to happen.

His fitness levels must be the highest in the squad, and he doesn’t hide. I think he gets unfair criticism at times but he’s been arguably our best performer this season.

I had Lundstram as my motm yesterday, but we need to keep on progressing, I wouldn’t give him a new contract, Our rebuild needs to be mixture of quality and youth! we have continually rebuilded around the same players it’s time for a new core!

Another good performance tonight, has been our best player in these four games under Clement. Far better suited to playing in a midfield two with a Jack or Raskin type player next to him.

you can’t say that here .
Raskin has potential but that's all it is just now he has done good parts of a game but his decisions at times are woeful.

He still has a lot to learn the talent is there by he a work in progress and no where near lundstrum/Jack in ability at moment at least

I said in the match thread that I’m a big critic of his but he was excellent tonight he put in a fantastic performance.

Ssshhhh careful!

He’s been our best midfielder by a country mile this season, surely that’s not even a debate
Agreed. Unlike a chunk of our support Clement will no doubt very much appreciate what Lundstram offers the team and will be focussed on other areas in January.

The abuse he gets is bizarre while chancers like Raskin and Cifuentes get away with murder. For anyone to give Lundstram abuse but not be as critical of Raskin just shows that sometimes fans have their favourites regardless of what’s actually happening on the park.

I must admit he is playing well, and I am not a big fan.

Long term, still think we need a stronger player in his position though.

A marked improvement. If others had responded to Clement's arrival to the same extent we'd be blowing teams away by now.

I think we just blew a team away. On their own pitch where until last night, they hadn’t lost a game this season.

We also blew away a Hibs side that were on a good run following their own new manager bounce.

Not his biggest fan
But
Anybody saying he was poor last night needs to watch the game again and see how many times he actually goes forward
I was totally against him and Jack in the same team but last night showed it can work ........if set up to play pushing forward
Fair play to big Phil so far for setting us up to attack.
We look a little sharper on the ball for sure

He was great last night, seems like Clement is getting much more out of him that Beale and GVB did towards the end. Not sure I would extend his contract but wouldn’t mind if Clement decided to.

I think we just blew a team away. On their own pitch where until last night, they hadn’t lost a game this season.

We also blew away a Hibs side that were on a good run following their own new manager bounce.

Yep can't argue with that. My point being though if everyone had upped their game to the same extent as Lundstram games would be put to bed so much easier.

5-0 is an impressive result of course it is, but for long periods of that first half especially I felt we made heavy weather of things. Still a clutch of players needing to give more imo.

Back