John Macmillan, former President of the Rangers Supporters Association, has passed away aged 89

mdingwall

Administrator

John Macmillan, former President of the Rangers Supporters Association, has passed away aged 89

John passed away last night in a hospice just five weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. (I never heard him swear so, please, none of the usual expletives about cancer.)

John served the Rangers Supporters Association for many years, guiding it through many trials and tribulations, not least being the Craig Whyte years. He also served on the Committee of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.

John started life as a butcher to trade. When the new IBM factory opened in Greenock he was employed as a butcher in the kitchens but subsequently moved into management.

Behind an old-fashioned, almost courtly, reserve there was a keen intellect - slow to anger and always careful about analysing a situation before making a decision.

As well as Rangers, John took great interest in church affairs - being both a Kirk elder and a captain in the Boy's Brigade.

He is survived by his good lady, and son, a daughter and three grandchildren.

And now, alone in the majesty of death, he receives from his friends, family and colleagues that most beautiful of tributes - he was a gentleman.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" - 2nd Timothy 4:7

Last edited:
He was indeed a gentleman, and took stick for not being as combative in his role when the media age arrived.

Lovely tribute Mark.

I had limited dealings with John back in the late 80’s through my RSC and he was a gentleman.

Rest easy.

Sorry to hear this. He was a gentleman and a scholar. Sadly missed by many within Rangers and beyond.. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Lump in the throat and tears in the eyes reading that there Mark, a fine tribute to a fine Gentleman.

I joined the Darroch Park at 15 years of age and only left in the recent few seasons as sadly the RSC numbers dwindled from Cat A+ to a b and the struggle for away tickets was bad.

Rest easy Mr MacMillan, no more suffering.

Had many dealings with John and found him a gentleman who respected everyone.

Sleep tight John it was my pleasure to have known you.

I knew John from his days running the Darroch Park RSC in Gourock and he was nothing but kind and thoughtful to everyone. A lovely man Indeed.

RIP John, and sympathies to his family.

An absolute gentleman who loved Rangers. I met him during some turbulent days for our club, and whilst very much of the 'old school' he realised there was more than one way to support the club we all love.

A great tribute, Mark, to a Rangers man through and through.

Condolences to his family and friends, he will be sadly missed.

John passed away last night in a hospice just five weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. (I never heard him swear so, please, none of the usual expletives about cancer.)

John served the Rangers Supporters Association for many years, guiding it through many trial and tribulations, not least being the Craig Whyte years. He also served on the Committee of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.

John started life as a butcher to trade. When the new IBM factory opened in Greenock he was employed as a butcher in the kitchens but subsequently moved into management.

Behind an old-fashioned, almost courtly, reserve there was a keen intellect - slow to anger and always careful about analysing a situation before making a decision.

As well as Rangers, John took great interest in church affairs - being both a Kirk elder and a captain in the Boy's Brigade.

He is survived by his good lady, and son, a daughter and three grandchildren.

And now, alone in the majesty of death, he receives from his friends, family and colleagues that most beautiful of tributes - he was a gentleman.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" - 2nd Timothy 4:7
John was also a director of The Rangers Development Fund when I joined 21 years ago. He was a good help to me during my early years and we had regular chats in my office.

He was a good man and as you say, Mark, I never heard him swear let alone say a bad word about anyone.

The world is a poorer place.

RIP John

Just received an email on the subject of John's passing.

I considered him a friend but never saw him for a while since he retired from the association.

A gentleman was John and a true Bluenose.

Was still heavily involved with the association well in to his 80s and sharp as a tack.

Very sad to hear he's passed away.

RIP John

Last edited:
When we (Dublin loyal) had our dispute with the club over our “behind enemy lines” banner.i received an e mail from John to give him a ring,so I phoned him and he told me that the rsa had held a meeting to discuss the dispute and that we had the total backing of the rsa and if he could help in any way he would do so.just speaking to him over the phone you could tell he was just a gentleman who had rangers on his heart

I can share a true story here about John from nearly 20 years ago.

Back then, I lived in the UK, and had a pilot's licence, and so I arranged to take John for a flight over his home in Gourock (John ran the Darroch Park RSC as well as his post at the RFCSA) and it was the month of November.

We are just approaching overhead his house, flying at 2000 feet, when a wasp flew into the cabin!

(Obviously wasps don't normally fly either at that time of year or at that altitude, and I can only think it was hibernating in the engine, and the heat woke it up.)

I said to John, "You kill the wasp, and I'll fly the plane" or words to that affect.

"Aye, aye Captain!" was his reply as he set about his business.

RIP John.

A truly good person and very well mannered, had many conversations with John in his office at the WRC.
Cannot speak highly enough of such a wonderful person.
My condolences to the family.
RIP

Like others have said, an absolute gentleman and a total bluenose. Always a voice of reason and gave great advice. An honour to have known him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Back