"John McGinn will prove to be a better player than Barry Ferguson over the course of his career"

Having read through some of his tweets this guy isn't the brightest. He's also clearly got absolutely no grasp on football at all. He'd be better of shutting his face completely. However, being part of the BBC he'll have a forum to talk shite for life.

He was that good, that same manager, who pretty much had an open cheque book when he arrived in '98, decided to build his team around a young player who had only appeared a handful of times in the first team.

Ferguson was a victim of the fabled run for the 10 and cut an exasperated figure that season. He was extremely close to leaving.

Legend has it when Advocaat agreed to take the job he heard of the situation of a reserve team player, who was ready to leave and was shown a video of a young Ferguson playing against Hearts at Tynecastle at the end of the 9IAR season. "He is my number 6" he supposedly said to Murray.

Not that you need to be a player to be a coach or journalist etc

But I mean c'mon, just look at that boy:

grey_Screen_Shot_2017-07-18_at_16_17_36.png

He'd be the last pick for his team, school and 5s every day of the week. Having FM and Fifa and a journalism degree has allowed a lot of wee hipster VL fannies to waffle as much pish as possible under the guise of such shite like being 'Bundesliga' experts for foreign audiences.

Who the %^*& is this clown?

Maybe he should have a wee gamder at Ferguson's performances against Bayern Munich, or the 2002 Cup Final against a very highly rated mentally challenged midfield.

Either clueless or a mentally challenged, but more likely both.
Or even his performance against England at Wembley in 1999 in the play-off game when he totally dominated the game from midfield.

HAHA.

McGinn is playing for Aston Villa in the English second tier. By the time Barry was McGinn’s age he’d already played some of Europe’s best midfielders off the park in the CL, won championships and been courted by Premier League club’s.

Not really relevant, but Barry also never looked like a face transplant gone wrong.

When McGinn goes toe-to-toe with Europe's best midfielders in the Champions League and captains his club to trophies then we'll think about having the conversation.

From another tweet he seems to imply that MCtominay is already at a level higher than Ferguson achieved, purely because he plays (rarely tbf) for man utd. On that basis michael stewart and eric djemba-djemba were at a higher level than ferguson as well.

He's prone to a ridiculous suggestion is that stefan (i'm not even sure who he is?), i've seen a previous tweet of his suggesting scotland appoint vern cotter. Yes, rugby coach Vern Cotter!
he's a football hipster w*nker that wants radical views to make himself unique.

If you'd seen his coupon you'd know he doesn't have to do that.

What’s captaining a club go a treble got to do with ability?

(FYI, not saying McGinn is better, but we’re comparing who the better player is, not who’s achieved most)
Better players tend to achieve more than poorer players. Captaining a club like ours at such a young age is testament to Ferguson's ability. There was guys like Ronald de Boer and Stefan Klos in that side.

Regardless of personal and team achievement throughout their careers, just watching the as footballers there is absolutely no comparison to be made between Ferguson and McGinn at all, infact it's an insult to even suggest it in the first place.

Ferguson bossed games but also had the guile to go with the tenacity. McGinn is just a wee bam who has yet to prove he deserves a start in a bang average Scotland side.

Bang average you say. That's being extremely kind

he's a football hipster w*nker that wants radical views to make himself unique.

If you'd seen his coupon you'd know he doesn't have to do that.

I wouldn't really call him a football hipster because generally they get it right sometimes, he is completely wrong in his "opinion"

I'll stick up for Stefan, he's a fair pundit usually and the Two Point One Podcast is a good listen if you're interested in tactical analysis that goes beyond sensationalism.

I disagree with him wholeheartedly here, but he's just giving his opinion, which he's entitled to do. He's enraged Celtic fans before as well as is definitely not a fan of them.

I think his general point is that Scotland have some better players than we've had in many years and shouldn't be using the lack of talent as an excuse. He's having an absolute stinker with his Ferguson comparison though. I simply can't see McGinn captaining Scotland, winning league titles, playing in the Champions League and captaining his team in a European Final.

Even establishing himself as a Premier League player (and remember he has played the majority of his career in the second tier at Championship level - both in Scotland and England) won't be enough for him to say he's a better player.

Barry Ferguson did well in his season and a half at Blackburn Rovers (a top half Uefa Cup qualifying EPL team) and was made captain ahead of the 04/05 season by Souness. He was brilliant at Birmingham City for two seasons, winning their player of the season award in 2009/10 and then winning the League Cup the season after.

Sounds like a typical mentally challenged, throws their toys out of the pram when presented with facts.

Here’s a fact Stefan, many careers were ruined because no-one called the police.

That’s it in a nutshell and why I don’t even engage with these clueless gargoyles .

“ I can’t be bothered debating the nuances of Ferguson’s career “ :rolleyes: in other words he knows he’s wrong but is ignoring the facts and hopes they go away .

That snippet alone tells you he’s a waste of space as a journalist and a person .

Something I always say to any Yahoos who try and talk football with me , if you’re prepared to debate objectively then let’s go and it used to be a good laugh sometimes . A bit of give and take .

This new breed are so entrenched in hatred that their default is just to blank out the truth and carry on with their drivel . Those types are pointless humans . Avoid st all costs .

I'll stick up for Stefan, he's a fair pundit usually and the Two Point One Podcast is a good listen if you're interested in tactical analysis that goes beyond sensationalism.

I disagree with him wholeheartedly here, but he's just giving his opinion, which he's entitled to do. He's enraged Celtic fans before as well as is definitely not a fan of them.

I think his general point is that Scotland have some better players than we've had in many years and shouldn't be using the lack of talent as an excuse. He's having an absolute stinker with his Ferguson comparison though. I simply can't see McGinn captaining Scotland, winning league titles, playing in the Champions League and captaining his team in a European Final.

Even establishing himself as a Premier League player (and remember he has played the majority of his career in the second tier at Championship level - both in Scotland and England) won't be enough for him to say he's a better player.

Barry Ferguson did well in his season and a half at Blackburn Rovers (a top half Uefa Cup qualifying EPL team) and was made captain ahead of the 04/05 season by Souness. He was brilliant at Birmingham City for two seasons, winning their player of the season award in 2009/10 and then winning the League Cup the season after.
He's an absolute roaster. There really isn't much more to be said on it. It astounds me that he gets paid to talk about something that he knows so little about.

what was the incident with this wee guy a few years back when he was trying to launch his subscription service?

Got caught referring to us on Twitter by names other than Rangers I'm sure.

This was after he basically begged Rangers fans (and that mobs support) to fund his new project.

"A different way of covering Rangers and Celtic. We won't treat you like idiots"

Then the old tweets were dug up...

McGinn is one of the most over rated players I have ever seen in Scotland and that is saying something.

He is extremely one paced, he lacks vision and he lacks execution of the pass.

A decent left peg with the odd howitzer thrown in, but his game is literally put his big massive fat arse between him and the opposition, fall down get a free kick and repeat the cycle.

I would have absolutely pissed my pants if they spent £5m on him, probably the wisest decision Lawwell has made in the last couple of years tbh.

The best description iv ever heard of him is he runs like someone trying to get in a helicopter.

I can't be bothered debating the nuances of Larsson’s career. He's obviously a Celtic legend so we'll just leave it at that. I just think if McBurnie can prove himself in the EPL he'll prove to be a better player over the course of his career.

It’s opinions like these that cause the tartan army and the delusional Scottish media to be continually disappointed. McGinn is an average player and couldn’t lace Ferguson’s boots. If we are relying on McGinn and McTominay to carry the national team forward there will be a very long wait for qualification...

There are so many tartan army and Rangers hating diddy club supporters that will agree with this walloper.

It is a sad day when there are so many ill informed bangers pontificating on almost anything to do with Rangers.

Fortunately, his comments much like his own career won't be remembered unlike Barry Ferguson. As for McGinn he might become a better player. He might also win the lottery.

Of course he will Stefan son, of course he will become a better player.

Now do yourself a wee favour and put the crack pipe down before you hurt yourself, there’s a good boy.

Night night!

fucken loads :))

read your own post back and it validates the claim without anyone having to say a word more.

Better players tend to achieve more than poorer players. Captaining a club like ours at such a young age is testament to Ferguson's ability. There was guys like Ronald de Boer and Stefan Klos in that side.

Completely agree that it was an excellent achievement of him.

But would he be less of a player if he wasn’t captain? No. Thus, not really sure of the relevance.

Plenty of players far better than title winning captains never captained their side, let alone won anything.

Completely agree that it was an excellent achievement of him.

But would he be less of a player if he wasn’t captain? No. Thus, not really sure of the relevance.

Plenty of players far better than title winning captains never captained their side, let alone won anything.

Can you name any treble winning captains who didn't have ability...

That he was Captain of a treble winning side is relevant and does further cement claims about his talent.

Can you name any treble winning captains who didn't have ability...

That he was Captain of a treble winning side is relevant and does further cement claims about his talent.

Erm, that’s not the point anyone’s making here. It’s that captaining a side has no bearing on ability at all.

Ronaldinho’s better than Ferguson. That is a fact. But under your logic he isn’t because he didn’t captain a team to a treble?

Wearing a piece of elasticated fabric has no bearing whatsoever on football ability. Doesn’t make anyone a better player.

Erm, that’s not the point anyone’s making here. It’s that captaining a side has no bearing on ability at all.

Ronaldinho’s better than Ferguson. That is a fact. But under your logic he isn’t because he didn’t captain a team to a treble?

Wearing a piece of elasticated fabric has no bearing whatsoever on football ability. Doesn’t make anyone a better player.

No, the logic and argument of Ronaldinho has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made, that's a shitty irrelevant point in the context of what is being said.

Barry Ferguson - captained and played in a side who won the treble, the captaincy is relevant as it does validate talent and ability either through what is brought to the park in leadership or in ability both of which validate claims of additional levels of what a player brings.

Shit/average/poor players simply don't Captain sides who win trebles.

So, yes Captaining a side to a treble as a stand alone sentence fucken screams validation of how good a player Ferguson was.

One of the worst statements i have ever heard in my life. Ferguson was levels and i mean levels above McGinn

Kirk Broadfoot has had a better career than John McGinn will have.
I don't think that any of us need say more.

No, the logic and argument of Ronaldinho has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made, that's a shitty irrelevant point in the context of what is being said.

Barry Ferguson - captained and played in a side who won the treble, the captaincy is relevant as it does validate talent and ability either through what is brought to the park in leadership or in ability both of which validate claims of additional levels of what a player brings.

Shit/average/poor players simply don't Captain sides who win trebles.

So, yes Captaining a side to a treble as a stand alone sentence fucken screams validation of how good a player Ferguson was.

I never said Ferguson wasn’t a good player did I? And yes, of course it’s a validation of how good an individual is.

What it isn’t, though, is a valid metric for comparisons between players.

I go back to Ronaldinho, clearly a better player and not a captain.

It’s irrelevant when comparing two players.

I never said Ferguson wasn’t a good player did I? And yes, of course it’s a validation of how good an individual is.

What it isn’t, though, is a valid metric for comparisons between players.

I go back to Ronaldinho, clearly a better player and not a captain.

It’s irrelevant when comparing two players.

It is the context of talking about Barry Ferguson and John McGinn which is what this thread is about.... not Ronal fucken dinho.

It is the context of talking about Barry Ferguson and John McGinn which is what this thread is about.... not Ronal fucken dinho.

Rightio then. It’s clear that you’re incapable of a reasoned response now that you’ve begun to swear and deflect from my point.

Have a nice day.

How old is this Stefan clown?

Pretty sure he wont be old enough to have really seen and understood fergusons ability at the peak of his powers.

Rightio then. It’s clear that you’re incapable of a reasoned response now that you’ve begun to swear and deflect from my point.

Have a nice day.

Thanks.

I am, still am even despite the inane and flippant point which isn't that valid and the spraffing on about Ronaldinho in a conversation relating to Barry Ferguson and John McGinn... it deserves to be mocked, ridiculed and the laired addition of a few f bombs just to really highlight how daft what you are saying is.

Ferguson....McGinn.....Ronaldino - that's quite the square you have circled.

The only things that separated Barry Ferguson from, say, Paul Gascogne was brute strength. If Barry had the same raw power as Gazza he could have played in any team in the world. Technically he was world class.

Who the %^*& is this McGinn?

The only things that separated Barry Ferguson from, say, Paul Gascogne was brute strength. If Barry had the same raw power as Gazza he could have played in any team in the world. Technically he was world class.

Who the %^*& is this McGinn?
Fergie had the game sense of Gazza, however Gazza was as good in the final third as a top quality striker.
That is why Gazza was a true Great.

He's an absolute roaster. There really isn't much more to be said on it. It astounds me that he gets paid to talk about something that he knows so little about.

Had a few Twitter exchanges with the guy and he’s sound enough. I assume this is the first time you’ve come across him?

He’s way off with this though and trying far too hard to make a case for current Scotland players being better than what’s been there for the past 10/15 years.

Not that you need to be a player to be a coach or journalist etc

But I mean c'mon, just look at that boy:

grey_Screen_Shot_2017-07-18_at_16_17_36.png

He'd be the last pick for his team, school and 5s every day of the week. Having FM and Fifa and a journalism degree has allowed a lot of wee hipster VL fannies to waffle as much pish as possible under the guise of such shite like being 'Bundesliga' experts for foreign audiences.
looks like a mcginn

Back