John McLaughlins save

that could prove to be absolutely massive. thought it was a terrific piece of goalkjeeping by the big man. Said the exact same thing after bis save v USG and it proved to be right.

He had another terrific save from Gakpo (after poor defensive play by Goldson) aswell
Tell you what can see why Man U are after Gakpo. Just wish the useless arseholes had put a bid in 2 weeks ago!

that could prove to be absolutely massive. thought it was a terrific piece of goalkjeeping by the big man. Said the exact same thing after bis save v USG and it proved to be right.

He had another terrific save from Gakpo (after poor defensive play by Goldson) aswell
Wonderful save - dunno - honestly don’t - if AM would have been out so quickly

Played well and ironically conceded two from corners that Mcgregor would get slaughtered for regardless.

Showing he can make big saves at vital times. Pleased for the big man.
McGregor would not have got the blame for them. They balls were whipped in with pace no chance any gk comes for them. McGregor got grief for not dealing with balls floated into the box, that’s the difference.

dont think hes as good at passing out as hes made out on here

i only think mcgregor would have saved that save

McGregor would not have got the blame for them. They balls were whipped in with pace no chance any gk comes for them. McGregor got grief for not dealing with balls floated into the box, that’s the difference.
Don't agree with that tbh.

Seen a fair few people blame Mcgregor for similar because he makes the defence nervous at corners and all sorts of stuff.

Anyway Mclaughlin played well and a decent result tonight imo.

McGregor never moved off his line, ever. That's the issue. Nobody wanted him to come off the line every single time.
Sound mate.

Literally read people moaning every time we conceded from a corner last season.

It was a comment that Mclaughlin played well and you have picked that part out.

I didn't blame Mclaughlin and was saying it was ironic because the general chat was we would be better defending corners when he plays.

Was a massive save that.

For some reason though I’ve been nervous with his passing when I was relatively calm last year.

Maybe just because it’s every game now notice it more I don’t know

He was taking goal kicks so fast when they had a spell of pressure after half time and they closed us - like we did them in the first - where he should’ve used his head a wee bit and let us get breath back.

Like Super said ‘it’s like taking the mic from Sinatra’ back in the day when taking over from the gaffer.

Tough gloves to fill - but his distribution was excellent and at a pace McGregor couldn’t have done with his feet.
It’s clear that the defence trust him with pass backs way more than McGregor - my opinion from the pace and amount he was getting utilised.

A few important saves - but he needs to stand up to Goldson when he challenges him instead of thinking Goldsons poor movement to receive the ball is his fault.

He’ll have gained more confidence from that tonight than lost, which is the important thing for the team.

Ideal for Europe imo.

He was taking goal kicks so fast when they had a spell of pressure after half time and they closed us - like we did them in the first - where he should’ve used his head a wee bit and let us get breath back.

Thats my only criticism of him tonight. I know they want to keep the pace and tempo in the game, but we could have done with giving the team a few seconds of a breather.

I keep hoping we get a better gk. A great save but doesn't make him a great gk I'm just so used to us having great goalkeepers.

I would have liked a keeper, but credit to him, that was a very good piece of goalkeeping.

Blameless for both goals too.

Watching it back on the highlights and it’s even more impressive how quickly he seen the danger and charged out. McGregor is never getting out as quick as that.

Kept us in the tie against USG and has done again tonight yet posters still don’t think he produces big saves.

I can’t understand why people are saying he’s blamesless for the second goal. Goldson is mainly at fault however the ball is in the air for a very long time and lands on the 6 yard line, which you could argue he should come for. Instead he comes a couple of yards off his line then changes his mind which allows the header to effectively lob him.

I can’t understand why people are saying he’s blamesless for the second goal. Goldson is mainly at fault however the ball is in the air for a very long time and lands on the 6 yard line, which you could argue he should come for. Instead he comes a couple of yards off his line then changes his mind which allows the header to effectively lob him.
Mate come on, that cross was never a goalkeepers ball, it was at pace and an outswinger, it would be constantly bending away from him.

It was a huge moment, but IMO fairly simple goalkeeping, charge down the player and make yourself big.

I'll personally never see McLaughlin as more than a back up keeper and IMO its our weakest position in the 11 right now.

Remind me , which poor bit of defensive play by Goldson was that?

Someone log it in the memory bank please. I’ve heard so many pundits saying they’ve never seen McLaughlin make a great save.

An out swinging corner hit at decent pace im not sure how he’s getting it. He did hesitate and ended up off his line but most goalkeepers defend a corner off their line these days we’re just used to McGregor. The header didn’t lob him either it was headed straight into the top corner hitting the bar.

He no invisible mate, there was about 6 players between him and the guy that head it. He’d bump into at least 3 of them in the 3 seconds he’s got to come and claim it.

Boy in my work this morning was going on about how McGregor should have been in goals blamed McLaughlin for both goals, had to remind him of the save he made previous round and last night, also had to tell him neither goals were McLaughlins fault.

Think this is going to be a continuous theme when we concede any goal this season.

Fair comment mate. Only thing he did wrong - although surely Tav, Goldson Lundstram etc. should be telling him.

Was a massive save that.

For some reason though I’ve been nervous with his passing when I was relatively calm last year.

Maybe just because it’s every game now notice it more I don’t know

I'm not convinced all the screaming for McGregor to be dropped last year was correct. Said it at the time too. McLaughlin is a no.2 keeper. He's a very good one but he's not a better goalie than McGregor (or wasn't at that point last season - might be now if McGregor's on the verge of chucking it)

He's not that brilliant with crosses and some of his passing out from the back isn't amazing either. I think it's certainly an area we can and should improve on.

His two saves in the 2nd half were excellent though, particularly that second one.

Two cracking saves 2nd half, was a wee bit ropey with his feet I thought tonight, more so slow distribution than anything else but I think that’s went a long way to putting down the AM No 1 threads!

A keeper shouldn’t be trying to come out to an outswinger thrown in at pace like that, especially with players in front of him.

People seem to think a keeper should come for absolutely everything.

Played well and ironically conceded two from corners that Mcgregor would get slaughtered for regardless.

Showing he can make big saves at vital times. Pleased for the big man.
This ..why isn’t he coming for cross balls as he did last season,he’s not doing it now and we are suffering for it.

A keeper shouldn’t be trying to come out to an outswinger thrown in at pace like that, especially with players in front of him.

People seem to think a keeper should come for absolutely everything.
There’s no way he could have successfully come for either of those balls, it was down to the defenders to clear, which they failed to do.

Back