John McLaughlins save

that could prove to be absolutely massive. thought it was a terrific piece of goalkjeeping by the big man. Said the exact same thing after bis save v USG and it proved to be right.

He had another terrific save from Gakpo (after poor defensive play by Goldson) aswell
Kept the tie alive imo. He's been great since taking over the jersey.

Remind me , which poor bit of defensive play by Goldson was that?

was a through ball mate which Goldson (imo) backed off a bit and allowed Gakpo the space and angle to shoot. He should of got a bit closer to Gakpo, pushed him wider and narrowed the angle.

Im not a Goldson basher in the slightest but just thought he could have defended that moment better

Boy in my work this morning was going on about how McGregor should have been in goals blamed McLaughlin for both goals, had to remind him of the save he made previous round and last night, also had to tell him neither goals were McLaughlins fault.

Think this is going to be a continuous theme when we concede any goal this season.

Mental. I know some people still have a boner for McGregor but out of all the goals we concede, those two last night are ones McGregor would never get given that he doesn't leave his line.

Still not sure why people are saying McLaughlin is nothing more than a backup either. He's been absolutely fine for us so far and kept us in several games.

Said it for long enough in the transfer thread and various other threads about the need for a new goalkeeper.
McLaughlin is absolutely fine as our number one, if he had a more exotic sounding name and cost us 3 million quid no one would be batting an eye lid at him being first choice.

He was outstanding last night. Credit where it's due

Don't blame him for the goals either. The defence was at fault on both occasions

Last 2 clowns on Clyde complaining about McLaughlin.
I honestly despair with some of our 'fans'.

He's done zero wrong to deserve the shit talk towards him, the goal at Livi was nothing to do with him that was on the defenders getting bullied, the first goal away in Belgium was borna and Jack getting bullied, ball cut back and a shot smashed at him via a deflection.

He had a cracking save to keep us in that game.

He wasn't at fault for any of the goals last night and also had a very good save at the psv players feet.

McGregor is done,, he cost us the league last last season, his disruption is not any better than McLaughlin either despite there's now some myth about that, clearly Gio is wanting us to play out far more from the back now.

was a through ball mate which Goldson (imo) backed off a bit and allowed Gakpo the space and angle to shoot. He should of got a bit closer to Gakpo, pushed him wider and narrowed the angle.

Im not a Goldson basher in the slightest but just thought he could have defended that moment better
Thanks , there were so many Goldson errors last night.

Last 2 clowns on Clyde complaining about McLaughlin.
I honestly despair with some of our 'fans'.

He's done zero wrong to deserve the shit talk towards him, the goal at Livi was nothing to do with him that was on the defenders getting bullied, the first goal away in Belgium was borna and Jack getting bullied, ball cut back and a shot smashed at him via a deflection.

He had a cracking save to keep us in that game.

He wasn't at fault for any of the goals last night and also had a very good save at the psv players feet.

McGregor is done,, he cost us the league last last season, his disruption is not any better than McLaughlin either despite there's now some myth about that, clearly Gio is wanting us to play out far more from the back now.

They're all it in the media as well.

Everyone on Open Goal going on about how good McGregor is, same whenever pundits like Miller, Hutton etc are on telly.

McGregor should've been retired by Gio. Keeping him on was a pointless distraction.

No issues with Jon being our number 1. The main difference is that mentally he knows he's our first choice keeper and all that goes with that.

Great save, he done well . Coming off the line. Hope his confidence keeps growing. Although hes our number 2.. why is Mcgregor not playing?

Wonderful save - dunno - honestly don’t - if AM would have been out so quickly
Great save.
He’s got a long way to go before he can be compared an equal to Alan McGregor, firstly as a goalkeeper and secondly as a shot stopper.
That said, he’s here now and might get better as he banishes the ghost of McGregor with saves like the late one in the Euro games.

Really good save. Sadly there’s a team of shagger acolytes who’re always ready and waiting to pounce on him and will do so for absurd things like not coming for crosses he can’t actually come for. It’s all very petty.
This is going to continue for a while, from both sides.
Look at the next post to yours, still blaming McGregor for costing us the league last season.

This is going to continue for a while, from both sides.
Look at the next post to yours, still blaming McGregor for costing us the league last season.
I mean he did play a big part in us losing the league though. Albeit it’s in the past now, but if people are going to pick on McLaughlin and advocate for McGregor being brought back in people are of course going to remind them of the number of dropped points that were a result of McGregor clangers last season.

If the shoe fits.
I mean he did play a big part in us losing the league though. Albeit it’s in the past now, but if people are going to pick on McLaughlin and advocate for McGregor being brought back in people are of course going to remind them of the number of dropped points that were a result of McGregor clangers last season.
I accept McGregor’s errors last season but, and this is the bit I can never get my head around, why there is a reluctance to look beyond McGregor’s errors and not look beyond this to the mistakes of various others in particular games.
It’s always been a problem for me, the hero worship and the blame culture, within our own.

I accept McGregor’s errors last season but, and this is the bit I can never get my head around, why there is a reluctance to look beyond McGregor’s errors and not look beyond this to the mistakes of various others in particular games.
It’s always been a problem for me, the hero worship and the blame culture, within our own.
Unfortunately for goalkeepers their errors more often than not directly lead to goals and therefore points conceded.

Can’t speak for anyone else but I certainly made my thoughts known on the shortcomings of a good few players last season, Goldson for one.

But the harsh reality is McGregor had some high profile howlers that directly lead to dropped points and us falling further away and with keepers it tends to be a bit more prominent. When it got to the stage teams were just lumping balls into our box knowing full well he’d stay rooted to his line and make it awkward for our defence, McGregor was the most obvious weak link in the side.

I thought he played well.
The 2nd goal, perhaps he could have come for it but I think the blame here is more the collective. Surely when a relatively high cross comes near the 6 yard line we should have someone attacking the ball and others picking up their opponent. Far too easy and we see it so often. Although the 1st goal looked messy I think we were a bit unlucky with the ricochets.

It is possible that having McLaughlin in goal v PSV cost us the 2 goals. The defence last season knew that McGregor wouldn't be coming for any crosses so they would be clearing the ball. With McLaughlin in goal, it's possible that the defence hesitated a bit wondering if he's coming for the cross and that hesitation was costly.
Hopefully it's lesson learnt now and if that was the case the defence won't hesitate any more.

A run of games is noticably seeing him improve and growing into the No. 1 role.

He's already saving our bacon.

This is the most pertinent point, he absolutely needed a run of games and he now deserves to be No1.

As for the passing which has been mentioned on earlier posts, he is considerably better with the ball at his feet than AM. He is being asked to start the play, that much is obvious and Gio
is clearly asking his CH’s and deepest midfielders to take responsibility.

What is clear from sitting in the Govan Rear, Ibrox is not ready for that style of football

It is possible that having McLaughlin in goal v PSV cost us the 2 goals. The defence last season knew that McGregor wouldn't be coming for any crosses so they would be clearing the ball. With McLaughlin in goal, it's possible that the defence hesitated a bit wondering if he's coming for the cross and that hesitation was costly.
Hopefully it's lesson learnt now and if that was the case the defence won't hesitate any more.

I don’t think so mate, they are 6 or so games in now. I can’t recall the first goal that well but I don’t think the second was doable from a keeper perspective.

The biggest issue is not having a settled CH pairing due to injury. IMO of course

He was taking goal kicks so fast when they had a spell of pressure after half time and they closed us - like we did them in the first - where he should’ve used his head a wee bit and let us get breath back.

Only thing I'd say there was that there were spells in the first half where we knocked the ball around at the back trying to draw a press to open them up and it wasn't happening. McLaughlin would likely have been told to play quick when they were pressing as we backed ourselves to play through it.

In the second half, when they did step it up, we struggled to really do that. I totally take your point, but I don't mind when the team backs themselves that way, even if it's just not their day.

That's one way of looking at it Allan, deary me.

Only thing I'd say there was that there were spells in the first half where we knocked the ball around at the back trying to draw a press to open them up and it wasn't happening. McLaughlin would likely have been told to play quick when they were pressing as we backed ourselves to play through it.

In the second half, when they did step it up, we struggled to really do that. I totally take your point, but I don't mind when the team backs themselves that way, even if it's just not their day.

Agree but there was more than once we could’ve taken the sting out the game (similar to teams who do niggly fouls) to disrupt their rhythm

This thread shows why AM should not have been given a new contact. There's going to be a thread every week.

If he was told he’d be No 2 I’m surprised he took the contract.

The thing is that any goalkeeper coming in now would be under huge scrutiny as they are following arguably the best goalkeeper we have ever had. Hard act to follow whether that be Jon or a big money signing that people seem to want.

Of course he was last season are you saying a keeper should not come out at corners
What about corners played to the edge of the box? Should McLaughlin be sprinting through bodies to intercept? Because he’d have had as much chance of getting them as he did the two on Tuesday.

That’s some impressive mental gymnastics

Played well and ironically conceded two from corners that Mcgregor would get slaughtered for regardless.

Showing he can make big saves at vital times. Pleased for the big man.
Don't agree mate. Neither of those corners was a goalies baw, total defensive brainfarts.

What about corners played to the edge of the box? Should McLaughlin be sprinting through bodies to intercept? Because he’d have had as much chance of getting them as he did the two on Tuesday.
Ah ..are you 7?

I'm sorry, but a professional player is not thinking, "aaahh, big Jon's got that". Defending is a lot easier than we make it. The attacking team has a limited amount of space they are looking to play the ball towards, about 1% of the pitch. All we need to do is attack it and play it towards the other 99% of the pitch. Attacking is a bit of a science, defending is more determination.

Don't agree mate. Neither of those corners was a goalies baw, total defensive brainfarts.
Made an arse of wording it mate :D

Was trying to say it wasn't Mclaughlins fault but if Mcgregor was playing he would have been blamed because it was corners we conceded from.

Ah ..are you 7?
Yes, and it’s embarrassing for you that a 7 year old can understand that goalkeepers can’t run through bodies to get to balls on the edge of their six yard box, especially outswingers, and you can’t.

Made an arse of wording it mate :D

Was trying to say it wasn't Mclaughlins fault but if Mcgregor was playing he would have been blamed because it was corners we conceded from.
The bigger worry is that there is a stat that suggests that on average you get a goal every (i think it was) 36 corners in pro football. We conceded 2 in one game. At pro football level, that is something the coaching staff need to jump on.

Back