John Souttar transfer fee Rangers must pay 'revealed' as Craig Levein gives Hearts injury 'probably not' verdict

Definitely want him playing against the Tims Weds night, ideally scores the winner, and snaps another couple of their ever dwindling squad.
We can then offer Hearts 150K and he can make his debut at the Brendanbau next week, do the same to them again. Instant legend.

This is going exactly the way I was concerned it would.

An already inflated fee rejected and Rangers possibly coming back with another. The momentum was all with Rangers given we had the player signed , now we’ve shown our hand to say we want him and will pay. Hearts reject the bid publicly and set the price.

Absolute madness and dreadful market management by us.

The only way we will give them decent money is if we get an injury to Goldson or Bassey before the window shuts.

If we give them, say 600k, that'll equate to somewhere in the region of £20k a game plus his wages. If those two remain injury free and we have Balogun and Helander on the way back I just can't see us wanting to look after Hearts to that extent.

He's our player now so it's not like he will go somewhere else if we don't pay. If anyone can play hardball in this situation then it's definitely us, and certainly not Hearts.

Barker would easily get a game over McKay -stevens and Barrie McKay hasn’t even scored a goal yet.

Don't know how often you watch Hearts mate, but McKay has been outstanding for them and the reason Ben Woodburn couldn't get a game.

He's probably one of the biggest reasons why they're comfortably the 3rd best team in the country.

He's creating chance after chance every game, playing behind the striker, (usually Boyce) and the Hearts fans look on him as their best outfield player.
This isn't a suggestion that we should be
re-signing him btw.

Mackay-Stevens isn't a first pick now at Hearts and I don't particularly rate him either, but his end product throughout his career would certainly rank him ahead of Barker, for me.

Even when Barker was at Hibs, he was in and out the side and could never be relied upon.

We don’t need Souttar right now. If we’ve potentially got a good few hundred grand to spend on staff then I’d rather we were looking at how to uplift Goldson’s salary to try to keep him.

300k is too much let alone 600k!

That 300k could be used to contribute to wages to bring In a RW until the end of the season (permanent or loan)

Defence we should be ok with Balogun and Helander coming back - we really need to beef up the midfield and if money is the stumbling block (it shouldn’t be given Patterson sale) then 300k is better spent in wages than Soutar in January

We have already seen the reaction from the Hearts fans to his departure, he would be best leaving now so that he doesn't have to continue to be the boo boy for their support.
Which is never going to be good for his mental health.
But the money that is being banned about is ridiculous, why would we pay that now especially now that we have Balogun back and Helander close to a return and big Bassey playing like he was made for this position.
We can sit and wait to summer as we are well covered but do we want a player going through a shit storm for next 6 months?
Can Hearts afford to refuse any type of offer?

£300k is £20k for every week of his remaining contract.

I'd suspect that is 3-4 times his salary.

There is no need for Rangers to pay this.

If Souttar wants to play in the Champions League next season he knows what's expected of him - stay fit and take points off the Tims - starting on Wed.

I would just say to them that it’s £300k now, or a decreasing amount all the way until 2 days before the deadline

Something like reducing by £25k per day over next 5 days.
Exactly, they've ran to the papers and are trying to drum up support that will have no influence on the club.

It's more fun to think about them facing their bank at the next meeting with a shortfall in the range of seven figures and try explain how they passed up £300k for a diminishing asset.

The days of us a support going apoplectic over not getting a signing in early on a precontract are hopefully over.

Need to get him in now and settled into the squad before the start of next season.

We really don't. Would it be preferable? Absolutely but we don't 'need' him in before the summer. For me the 300k we have already offered is way too high anyway. I certainly wouldn't be going back with an improved offer.

Absolutely no issue for Hearts valuing him at that, he’s their best defender, him staying furthers their chances of 3rd and the significant prizes that comes with that.

It’s understandable they don’t want to lose him for cheap, but I reckon he’ll be with us by the end of January. Quite simply, he’ll want a league winners medal.

£300k, everyone’s happy.

Hearts are the ones with a player on their hands who doesn't want to be there
Hearts have caused their own problems
Not big bad Rangers but poor wee Hearts

So whatever the clubs, press or Levein says - we should remember we're not the culprit here & are not guilty of any sort of crime

If both teams can't agree on an inflated, unreasonable fee before the window closes - then that's not a crime either

All that said - we all know that whatever happens in the end - we'll be made out to be the guilty party

Don't know how often you watch Hearts mate, but McKay has been outstanding for them and the reason Ben Woodburn couldn't get a game.

He's probably one of the biggest reasons why they're comfortably the 3rd best team in the country.

He's creating chance after chance every game, playing behind the striker, (usually Boyce) and the Hearts fans look on him as their best outfield player.
This isn't a suggestion that we should be
re-signing him btw.

Mackay-Stevens isn't a first pick now at Hearts and I don't particularly rate him either, but his end product throughout his career would certainly rank him ahead of Barker, for me.

Even when Barker was at Hibs, he was in and out the side and could never be relied upon.
At the risk of sounding like Martin Bain(shiver) Barker is the one player in the squad we should probably just try to pay off if there are no takers for a loan spell elsewhere.

The strangest signing of recent times for me.

At the risk of sounding like Martin Bain(shiver) Barker is the one player in the squad we should probably just try to pay off if there are no takers for a loan spell elsewhere.

The strangest signing of recent times for me.

Was Barker not a late panic as the Kent deal wasn't over the line ?

I'm sure I read or heard it was roughly around 3k??
So say it is for arguments sake, his contract is only worth in the region of 78k. So that off wage bill plus a little sweetener, 300k is a fantastic offer. 600k is a piss take tbh. If I was Hearts id be very careful not to lose that kinda money trying to over inflate the guys price and make him unhappy for 6 months.

A number of people on here have it in for Barrie McKay. I said the day he signed that he was an excellent signing for them. Excellent passing and vision. Some people think pace and dribbling is all that matters.

Imo, Neilson is now getting the best out of him, by pretty much giving him a free role behind Boyce.

I expect him to find pockets of space between the Celtic defensive midfield and their defence on Wednesday night and cause them plenty problems.

Was Barker not a late panic as the Kent deal wasn't over the line ?
I honestly don't recall specifically mate, but we did sign all of Jones, Stewart and Barker in the same window and I took a bit of stick for casting doubt on the validity of the signings.

To be fair we were fairly hamstrung financially so an argument could be made for Jones and Stewart as they had very successful seasons at that time.
Barker couldn't get a game under popcorn teeth at Hivs though.

Baffling is a word I've often associated with his signing for us.

A number of people on here have it in for Barrie McKay. I said the day he signed that he was an excellent signing for them. Excellent passing and vision. Some people think pace and dribbling is all that matters.
He has fantastic ability and in a Hertz side he can afford to go through a poor run of form or have a bad game one in three without it mattering too much.
McKays mentality held him back at us, and the reason why he failed to reach the heights down south, despite the predictions of some on here at the time he departed from us.

Rangers won't bow to these crackpots.

Done the same to Kilmarnock 3 years ago when we tried to get Jordan Jones early in the January.

If he does the business on Wednesday night then get him to Auchenhowie the next day, just for the mhoronic meltdown.

Would not be going upwards of 300k for him. His contract value from Feb-June would probably be in the region of 55-65k.

I like the idea of getting them in so they can settle but recent example of Wright is that it’s not exactly been a huge success in terms of the next six months.

Imo, Neilson is now getting the best out of him, by pretty much giving him a free role behind Boyce.

I expect him to find pockets of space between the Celtic defensive midfield and their defence on Wednesday night and cause them plenty problems.
Yes, most effective centrally where pace is less important and his vision and passing can be better utilised.

Everyone knows Hearts are skint and need money. Let’s ensure we wait until the summer for Souter.

600k isn't justifiable. 250k possibly, I think the end of the season will be fine unless there are moves for Goldson.

Even 300k is far too much, we don’t actually need him right now.
It's not too much at all, that's a ridiculous statement.

£300k for a Scotland starter who had a great season? Too much?

There is saving the pennies then there is being g ridiculous.

If the gap is as small as it looks, a deal will likely be done.

Weird how we moan about not getting fees or lack there of yet get all snobby when we lowball others.

If Souttar had 3 years left, they could've gotten £3m+ depending on who came in and when.

I'm normally the 1st to preach caution with our spending, but if we are serious about getting him this window, meet them in the middle or insert a clause that gives them the chance to make more down the line.

Don't need to drop our pants but we need to stop quibbling over pissy amounts on some deals.

The counter point to that is keeping him might help them secure circa £3m (at least) and group stage European football next season.
Yeah i get that, same as our situation with CG. To be fair i reckon they will get euro football next season with or without JS. I'm sure they will have their own player targets lined up just in case, and like us maybe want them bedded in earlier. The JS cash may go a long way to securing that target. They shouldn't be trying to hold a gun to our head seeing as we have more than enough cover. Just all seems a bit shoot yourself in the foot kinda thing.

Never get these kind of stories that paint us in a bad light for not paying exactly what the club asks for. They can ask for 600k, but if we disagree then they could ask for 10 million for all the god it does. We are as entitled to our valuation as they are theirs.

Even 300k is far too much, we don’t actually need him right now.
20 games between the end of the window and end of the season , no way the club are paying Hearts £30,000+ every game that John Souttar would be available for never mind actually selected for ...........

£200,000 and not a penny more , even then thats generous

This is going exactly the way I was concerned it would.

An already inflated fee rejected and Rangers possibly coming back with another. The momentum was all with Rangers given we had the player signed , now we’ve shown our hand to say we want him and will pay. Hearts reject the bid publicly and set the price.

Absolute madness and dreadful market management by us.
Correct mate.
I would hold off now cause we ain't getting him for the price we should and as someone said yesterday, put the money towards keeping Goldson.

Back