John Souttar

He really went out his way to show us what we are getting next season. If he stays for he will be colossal for us, fact is it fit he's Scotlands first choice CB he can run with the ball and plays the same ball as Goldson over the top.

I'd happily put Bassey in the centre of defence to replace Goldson. The boy is a class above anyone in Scotland. I'd let CG go free if that's what he wants and replace him with CB without a doubt
too many CeeBeebies there for me mate:))

Calvin is left footed, so we need a right footed CB to replace Conor

By far one of the best attacking centre backs in Scotland. Reminds me of Boogie.

This was something that I hadn't really thought about when asking about his attributes.

The way teams sit in against us, having a CH with the ability and composure with the ball at his feet to drive into the space, break lines and commit and pull opposing players out of position could be an additional bonus with him.

FWIW, I thought yesterday his positional play, winning headers and blocking was excellent.

Whether his body can stand up to the rigour and intensity of playing for us is debateable, but if it can he may just be a surprisingly good signing.

Him and gordon were their best players.
He s a big lad and from what i seen isnt that moblie or fast.
Imposing and great in the air but will need a fast centre half next too him.
Helander aint that man.

My Mrs’ side of the family are big Jambos and they were told his ankle surgery in March was elective to clear up a niggling issue in advance of his move to Rangers and make a big push for a starting spot in the Scotland defence ahead of the World Cup, should we get there.

I'd happily put Bassey in the centre of defence to replace Goldson. The boy is a class above anyone in Scotland. I'd let CG go free if that's what he wants and replace him with CB without a doubt
Nice dilemma for GVB.
Does he look for a center half or a left back.

I can see Bassey going south mate . Another year would so him fine I'd say but put it this way,this Man Utd wanted him he'd be their best defender NOW

This lad won’t have a fuckin clue when he plays for us. Siege defending is largely irrelevant. Our CB’s need to be comfortable in possession and pick a pass, and press almost like a centre mid at times.
The guy has been up there with being the best CB in the league most years.

He will slot right into our style of play no issue at all

For me, he is better than Goldson taking the ball out of defence and his long range passing is also better. He is actually looks top level when it comes to this side of his game.

There was a burst in the second half I think where he powered through the centre of the pitch with the ball, under a lot of pressure, and set up Barry McKay who blazed it over.

He is also a Rangers fan and a leader, which is a massive advantage for us. We will have a player on our hands who will want to do well on a personal and professional level and will hopefully let some of our knew foreign signings know what the club is all about.

Optimistic this will be a great singing…… if he can stay injury free!
He's better than Goldson imo.Someone on here reckons he ain't quick!
He may not be Des Walker but a centre halfs first yard of pace is between the ears .
I think Frankfurt's goal ,JS would not have been caught out by it .CG body shape was wrong and a few steps in the wrong direction.That wasn't speed of foot that done him ,it was speed of thought.
I like Goldson btw

I know what you mean - but much as I rate Calvin Bassey- if he really is going to be a 1st choice centre back - IMO he'd need to drastically improve his heading ability

Looked like he was knackered long before 90 minutes. His fitness must be improved pre season. Looks a good player and I'm sure he'll fit into our team and improve it without any problems

Looked like he was knackered long before 90 minutes. His fitness must be improved pre season. Looks a good player and I'm sure he'll fit into our team and improve it without any problems
It’s only his second game back from injury. No surprise he would be tired after we attacked them the full 2nd half

Anyone think he isn't good enough after today?

Lad was excellent

The problem is his injury history. He’s had some really bad injuries. Due some luck on that front.

He was good yesterday - no nonsense and dealt with danger. I still think we have three better defenders but 2 are out of contract and that other is injury prone. As is Balogun.

The problem is his injury history. He’s had some really bad injuries. Due some luck on that front.

He was good yesterday - no nonsense and dealt with danger. I still think we have three better defenders but 2 are out of contract and that other is injury prone. As is Balogun.
The only one I think is better,and that is asked on potential as well as Wednesday's game is Bassey.

Soutter was driving with the ball yesterday, pinging passes.Defensivly he was excellent

Him and gordon were their best players.
He s a big lad and from what i seen isnt that moblie or fast.
Imposing and great in the air but will need a fast centre half next too him.
Helander aint that man.

what have you seen of him to suggest he isnt mobile or fast.

From what I seen of him yesterday he was both of the above considering it was only his second game since months out.

I think maybe a lot of us are forgetting just how long we've been linked with Souttar- it goes back years - long before he got the injury prone tag

I've got to admit - I've never been able to see what others see in him
Maybe that's my blindness

He can be fairly steady - he can put in solid performances like yesterday- or even the one he gave for Scotland a couple of months ago -
But if you scrutinise his positioning & his efforts at tracking players - especially late runs into the box at corners he's defending - then I'd say he's got a lot of flaws

I can admit our centre backs are hardly without errors & who knows what our back four is going to look like next season - but I can't see Souttar being much more than a Simpson replacement
& if we rely on him to be a 1st choice starter - I fear there may be trouble ahead

I sincerely hope I'm wrong - I'd love him to be successful with us - & when he's got a Gers shirt on his back he'll get my full backing

It's just that I can't see him as a quality signing that improves us at this stage
Just my own opinion of course

I think maybe a lot of us are forgetting just how long we've been linked with Souttar- it goes back years - long before he got the injury prone tag

I've got to admit - I've never been able to see what others see in him
Maybe that's my blindness

He can be fairly steady - he can put in solid performances like yesterday- or even the one he gave for Scotland a couple of months ago -
But if you scrutinise his positioning & his efforts at tracking players - especially late runs into the box at corners he's defending - then I'd say he's got a lot of flaws

I can admit our centre backs are hardly without errors & who knows what our back four is going to look like next season - but I can't see Souttar being much more than a Simpson replacement
& if we rely on him to be a 1st choice starter - I fear there may be trouble ahead

I sincerely hope I'm wrong - I'd love him to be successful with us - & when he's got a Gers shirt on his back he'll get my full backing

It's just that I can't see him as a quality signing that improves us at this stage
Just my own opinion of course

folk had the same opinion of Ryan Jack.

I was impressed with him yesterday and feel a bit better of him coming in. He looks a solid lad and we like a bit of that!

I don’t think he is a Goldson replacement but we need more Scots in our Euro squads. That has been an issue this season and last.

Heart hopes he stays fit

Head says he’s ian Murray 2.0

Imagination says he’s the Scottish Virgil van lesbo

I’m all honesty if he was Goldson partner I’d be happy…. Goldson replacement not hapoy

Sign a Goldson level replacement, I’d be happy for Souttar to be the partner

I totally understand that mate, but seriously there should be no fear of it. The boy is a level above what we have and can totally hold his own. He will bring us a few goals of that I have no doubt and genuinely can play football. I am looking forward to seeing the boy in a Rangers shirt.
Agree with you... JS is an immense defender. Him, Bassey and Gordon were the standout players today. Big man is gonnae be a star for us for years to come.

A lot better than Goldson? please go ahead and tell us where we get that and how much it's going to cost? the guy has been an incredible player for us in Europe and domestically for the past 4 seasons but we need better?
Spot on.
No way we could entice someone to Scotland who is better, and in our realistic price/wage bracket

If you’re not a gimp and understand clear statistics, it’s clear that Souttar is one of the best two or three central defenders in the country.

Its exactly the sort of signing we should never make again because it always works out really, really, badly for us.

Yet, we continue to make them and learn not a thing.

Rangers will be playing close to 60 games next season, maybe more and Souttar will not manage to be fit to play. Even when he is its questionable who sharp and useful he will actually be because hes unlikely to ever manage long runs of starts with only very short breaks inbetween. Probably itll be the reverse.
Conner Goldson worked out all right as he was also high risk.

I really feel like people block out large sections of Goldson’s (and others tbf) Rangers careers.

Would we all be happy with our back line as

Keeper?
Tavernier Souttar Goldson Bassey

On paper looks reasonable.

If you’re not a gimp and understand clear statistics, it’s clear that Souttar is one of the best two or three central defenders in the country.
I'll be honest and admit I'm not a virgin so don't look at opta stats on my computer in my mums spare room. Nor do I watch much of the rest of SPFL. But Souttar has always looked decent to me when we play Hearts which is what I base players on. Probably not best way of doing it as many raise their game and are not as good consistently. But if its that or being a stat weirdo, so I'm sticking to my way.

Last edited:
Would we all be happy with our back line as

Keeper?
Tavernier Souttar Goldson Bassey

On paper looks reasonable.
My only thing with Souttar is he's right footed. Right footed players playing LCH aren't unusual but it is better for balance and players not having to take a split second to adjust to have a left footed CH playing there. Personally if Bassey isn't sold I think he starts more often than not in at CH. We also might go with a 3 more often domestically than previous years.

Goldson had a health condition, one that he had overcome and he was cleared to play.

Souttar is injury prone which is not something that is overcome. It’s an ongoing and ever present risk.

Hardly comparable.
I don’t see Souttar as injury prone. He has a couple of hundred games under his belt at 25. He missed the bulk of 2 seasons with his achilles injury’s of course.

Played 30 to 40 games both seasons before his injury and played around 40 games last season.

Games played are similar to Kent and Morelos at similar ages

I don’t see Souttar as injury prone. He has a couple of hundred games under his belt at 25. He missed the bulk of 2 seasons with his achilles injury’s of course.

Played 30 to 40 games both seasons before his injury and played around 40 games last season.

Games played are similar to Kent and Morelos at similar ages
Not sure you understand the meaning of the word 'prone'.

Back