John Souttar

If true, then it simply sums up how ridiculous a signing it was.

Everyone knows his injury history. When we signed him, plenty raised eyebrows at it due to him being in the treatment room regularly.

Said it last month and I’ll say it again, we are an injury to Goldson away from being in deep shit as he’s our only reliable and proven centre half.

Helander - permanently injured
Souttar - regularly injured
Davies - only just joined so still to prove himself
Katic - time is up
King - nowhere near ready
Sands - never a centre half

I reckon Davies and Goldson are our two first pics in this position so even if he was fit I don’t think he’d get a game. Those two in defences could be a cracking partnership, Davies at the weekend strolled it and Goldson appeared to be involved further forward at times than I’ve seen which is good.
The rest of the defenders will be bit part players and used as subs to give these two a rest at times but that’s about it for them.
It’s still a concern that Helander and Souter are so injury prone although great for Leon

Everyone knows his injury history. When we signed him, plenty raised eyebrows at it due to him being in the treatment room regularly.

Said it last month and I’ll say it again, we are an injury to Goldson away from being in deep shit as he’s our only reliable and proven centre half.

Helander - permanently injured - ovi
Souttar - regularly injured - ovi
Davies - only just joined so still to prove himself - ovi
Katic - time is up - more than likely
King - nowhere near ready - How do you know
Sands - never a centre half / Jury still out but not true

Helander - permanently injured
Souttar - regularly injured
Davies - only just joined so still to prove himself
Katic - time is up
King - nowhere near ready
Sands - never a centre half
The usual negative stuff from you, Delboy.
Some of it actually justified this time.
Other than your view on Sands, and there is no real need to bee negative about Davies, I agree with your post.

Gutting for him if true. Just lost his brother and now another potentially long term injury. I hope he’s being looked after as that could seriously impact on his mental health.

Hope he’s alright and back sooner rather than later.

There may be an injury or there may not, whatever the situation is, Gio and the club are circling the wagons to protect him at the present time. None of us are privy to what's going on with him at Ibrox, but we do know the young guy's just lost his brother and best mate a few weeks ago after a battle with MND and there's no doubt he'll be struggling to get his head round this. The guy was just starting out on his Rangers career when he was hit with this bombshell, so let's cut him some slack until he comes to terms with this and gets back on track. Most of us will have experienced grief due to family bereavement at some time in our lives, but it's got to be so much harder dealing with it in the public eye. There's no fears that he'll be out on his own to deal with this, as he'll be well supported by the club and his teamates, so here's hoping he'll be back on the park in the not too distant future.

This wouldn't be surprising. His injury record was a huge red flag and, for me, a risk probably not worth taking.
We should have learned our lesson with some of the crocks we have signed.

Who done the due diligence on Souttar? A guy who can't complete full training sessions, is constantly overweight, has never played a full season and has had some serious injuries in the same area!

We cannot afford this type of signing, we need players who can make an impact not take up more space in the physio room. Signed because of the home grown ruling? Possibly, but a Rangers youth player like King should have more potential than a crock of an ex- Hearts player!

Who done the due diligence on Souttar? A guy who can't complete full training sessions, is constantly overweight, has never played a full season and has had some serious injuries in the same area!

We cannot afford this type of signing, we need players who can make an impact not take up more space in the physio room. Signed because of the home grown ruling? Possibly, but a Rangers youth player like King should have more potential than a crock of an ex- Hearts player!
What makes you think he's overweight?

Other than your view on Sands, and there is no real need to bee negative about Davies, I agree with your post.
Stating Davies is still to prove himself isn’t being negative. It’s fact.

Don’t think saying he has to prove himself is too negative.
Played well v STJ but was never really challenged , hopefully he comes good for us.

Not heard that before , rumour at the time was he suffered from what can be politely described as stage fright.

My understanding is someone at Rangers told him to pay out the balance if his existing contract and in return we'd sign him and reimburse him. When we didnt reimburse him he refused to play claiming he was injured. When his contract at Ibrox was up he made a remarkable recovery and played well for his new team. I think it was Dundee Utd or Hearts.

Maybe someone on here can confirm.

Where has this information came from?

Can you validate this?

I chuckle everytime I see someone saying a footballer is overweight, what weight is Souttar supposed to be and what weight is he now?

It’s not a free hit because he’s one of our CB options, along with Helander

So we’ve effectively one CB we can rely on, one that’s new, a DM playing at CB and then two CBs that are constantly injured
Leon King not an option?

I don’t think he is overweight I don’t know where the poster is getting that from.

He’s probably viewing Soutter the same as many viewed Alan Mclaren , because he has that Scottish ruddy faced knackered look about him after running, and is heavy set stocky build compared to most modern footballers.

I’ll guarantee you if you stood next to him in Morrisons he would look super slim and the picture of health compared to 99% of people in the place.

He’s not bloody overweight. Gio wouldn’t have him in the team if he was it’s that simple. He’s over 6ft and lucky if he’s 12 stone.

Last edited:

He is heavy set, as opposed to being overweight.

As was Graham Roberts and Alan McLaren, for example.

It's also very unfair on Leon King to compare him against Souttar, or even Davies and Sands.

He's nowhere near that level yet.

So are we still slating the Club for signing him on the basis of a single tweet from Mr Nobody or has there been any confirmation of an injury yet?

I'm assuming there is an injury of sorts since he's not been mentioned as being part of any matchday squads, or been in any training videos, after the funeral of his brother. Moon boot I'm less convinced about.

He is heavy set, as opposed to being overweight.

As was Graham Roberts and Alan McLaren, for example.

It's also very unfair on Leon King to compare him against Souttar, or even Davies and Sands.

He's nowhere near that level yet.
Difference with King is he is a young fit player who given the chance will have more of an impact than Souttar and it's impact that matters in his development. The bottomline is every serious injury reduces player potential and Souttar is always the next game away from another injury.

Where has this information came from?

Can you validate this?
Because he can't train at the level required to keep himself in top condition think that's obvious and this was an issue at Hearts.

There are posters on here actually questioning this who were quick enough to criticise Morelos and his weight, and he is another who needs to train hard or he quickly becomes fat.

There may be an injury or there may not, whatever the situation is, Gio and the club are circling the wagons to protect him at the present time. None of us are privy to what's going on with him at Ibrox, but we do know the young guy's just lost his brother and best mate a few weeks ago after a battle with MND and there's no doubt he'll be struggling to get his head round this. The guy was just starting out on his Rangers career when he was hit with this bombshell, so let's cut him some slack until he comes to terms with this and gets back on track. Most of us will have experienced grief due to family bereavement at some time in our lives, but it's got to be so much harder dealing with it in the public eye. There's no fears that he'll be out on his own to deal with this, as he'll be well supported by the club and his teamates, so here's hoping he'll be back on the park in the not too distant future.
Excellent post fellow bear. Kudos.

I had a quick look on his Twitter feed and didn't get any impression he was 'reliable'. Could still be correct on this one but its a bit of a 'pile on' on the basis of only his tweet.
Aye, grew up with him, take absolutely hee haw to do with him anymore, long story lol...he's a twitter poster when pissed basically and usually posts piss.

Whilst I enjoyed Baloguns time as a Rangers player it’s incredible that now he’s left it’s forgotten the amount of games and various injuries he had in 2 seasons with us.

Because he can't train at the level required to keep himself in top condition think that's obvious and this was an issue at Hearts.

There are posters on here actually questioning this who were quick enough to criticise Morelos and his weight, and he is another who needs to train hard or he quickly becomes fat.
So a statement based on opinion & assumption, not fact?

All that’s obvious is the player has injury issues. As with any other injured player, that will prevent him from full training until fit. There’s nothing to suggest he’s not capable of training at the same level as his peers.

Unless of course you are party to specific information about his training programme which you’re not divulging?

Back