John Spano, the original Craig white!

Wacaktb

Official Ticketer
Watching the ESPN documentary where this guy spano convinced everyone he was worth 220 million using fake documents and manages to buy the new York Islanders ice hockey team.
It's actually frighteningly similar to what that Google eyed bastard managed to pull off in taking over at our club.

Big Shot is an amazing documentary.

I watched it partially stunned at the similarities with the Bank in the US / Ticketus.

One thing I’d say, and it’s maybe partly the slightly sympathetic documentary, is that Spano seemed to be doing it with the NYI to do good for them and wasn’t at the rip off as Whyte was.

While it was all obviously highly illegal and what he was using the funds for in terms of the hotel parties was crazy, he seemed to want to run them well though.

I guess hoe the film finished thoughspeaks volumes of him.

There was never a chance of a nuetral jury for that ***** trial. Doomed from the start

The judge certainly did her best to ensure 'balance' in the jury.

This is from the STV report on Day One of the trial (20 Apr 17) ...

"A jury of eight men and seven women was later sworn in. After being picked, judge Lady Stacey asked them to "consider matters" before evidence was to be heard in the case.

She said: "There has been some degree of publicity about Mr Whyte and Rangers - putting it at its broadest - over the last number of years. Do you know Mr Whyte? Do you know anyone personally who may be a witness?

During May 2010 and May 2011 (the time period of the charges), were you a shareholder, bond holder or season ticket holder of Rangers? Ask yourself is there any good reason why you cannot be an impartial member of this jury."

The judge also encouraged jurors to "put out of mind" anything they may have read or heard previously about the case. After a short break, none of the men and women selected had to be excused
."

Did you notice that any possibility of impartiality from the other end of the spectrum was not considered grounds for exclusion.

We were beat before we started.

Last edited:
Big Shot is an amazing documentary.

I watched it partially stunned at the similarities with the Bank in the US / Ticketus.

One thing I’d say, and it’s maybe partly the slightly sympathetic documentary, is that Spano seemed to be doing it with the NYI to do good for them and wasn’t at the rip off as Whyte was.

While it was all obviously highly illegal and what he was using the funds for in terms of the hotel parties was crazy, he seemed to want to run them well though.

I guess hoe the film finished thoughspeaks volumes of him.
I love the 30 for 30 documentaries but I can't even bring myself to watch that one.
I know I'll just end up raging watching it.

Difference is he eventually fell foul of a proper justice system

How Whyte managed to walk away Scot free is what really infuriates.

That's exactly right.

It remains a source of huge annoyance to me that nobody has done time over the deliberate wrecking of a going concern business, most especially those in HMRC who leaked confidential information to aid in this crime

Back