Johnny Giles flooring Kevin Keegan at Wembley

Clough really wasn’t wanted at leeds by the players.
I remember that well . By that time Clough had slagged the whole Leeds team and Revie previously and the feeling then was a WTF moment! Doomed to end in tears right from the start. Clough had the last laugh I suppose.

souness would have blended in well in those days,right hard barstewards who took no shit,can imagine broon getting slapped about constantly.

Broonie would not have had a career. Schoolyard bullies didn’t survive in those days.

Fantastic stuff. Mind the 1970 FA cup final and replay between Chelsea and Leeds was pretty tasty too.

In general, Norman Hunter and Giles were seen as the nastiest players in notoriously dirty Leeds, but I remember an interview with an Arsenal player of the time who said that right back Paul Reaney made those too look like choir boys.

Not too sure about that. I think he might be related to me somewhere in my family tree. Might have been one of the few proddies from Dublin. My grandmothers maiden name was Giles and she had family from good stock in Dublin.
Could be a different family altogether obviously my auld man used to tell us Johnny Giles was related to our family.
Johnny Giles’ sister married Nobby Stiles of Man United, who was a devout bead-rattler.

This was Brian Cloughs first competitive(ish) game in charge of Leeds was it not?

For whatever reason, I watched youtube highlights of that game on Saturday.

Now I thought Bill Shankly retired after winning the FA Cup in the April/May of season 1973//74.

But there he was sitting beside Clough at the start of the following season.

So he must have retired not long after?

Keegan was a brave wee forward in his day.

Might not have had the skill of his replacement, Dalglish, but he worked tirelessly on his game.

For whatever reason, I watched youtube highlights of that game on Saturday.

Now I thought Bill Shankly retired after winning the FA Cup in the April/May of season 1973//74.

But there he was sitting beside Clough at the start of the following season.

So he must have retired not long after?

Shankly led Liverpool out for the last time that day before Bob Paisley took over.

Keegan was a brave wee forward in his day.

Might not have had the skill of his replacement, Dalglish, but he worked tirelessly on his game.
He was that but he wasn't too shy of putting it about either.

Tough lad but I can't help think of him* skinning himself on an ash cycle track on Superstars. (*and laughing)

Loved Leeds back then still have a soft spot for them.also loved clough .looking back a strange marriage.
Kevin Keegan was also class act

Loved Leeds back then still have a soft spot for them.also loved clough .looking back a strange marriage.
Kevin Keegan was also class act
Clough told the Leeds players that they did not deserve any of the medals they'd won under Revie as they were all cheats.

He was that but he wasn't too shy of putting it about either.

Tough lad but I can't help think of him* skinning himself on an ash cycle track on Superstars. (*and laughing)

Was that when he tried to go "no handed" at the end of the bike race?

It was incredible just how poor the fitness of any of the footballers seemed to be, particularly compared to Brian Jacks.

Was that when he tried to go "no handed" at the end of the bike race?

It was incredible just how poor the fitness of any of the footballers seemed to be, particularly compared to Brian Jacks.
In fairness Jacks was just really good at (very small) dips and cheated on the squat-thrusts by wearing socks..
And he was on steroids. Or jellied eels. Both banned substances and rightly so.

Keegan tried to do the guy at the start of the clip, just team mates backin each other up, its all good.

Keegan tried to do the guy at the start of the clip, just team mates backin each other up, its all good.

Never seen that before. Quite a tackle from Keegan right at the start of the clips- so all in all I think he deserved to get knocked out.

I don't think Keegan was a dirty player but Johnny Giles was. His style reminded me of the manner in which Bertie Auld 'the leg breaker' for the mhanks used to play. The thing about that Leeds United team of late 60's early 70's is that nearly all of their players could mix it with the best; exceptions being the wingers, Eddie Gray and Peter Lorimer. All the same any team would always want a Billy Bremner on their side.

Leeds United were a very skilful side as well. However, some would say their cheating/fouling reputation caught up with them in their potentially greatest moment, a European Cup Fnal against Bayern Munich in 1975 where the referee was perversely a cheat and was clearly nobbled when Leeds had a good goal by Lorimer struck off. The referee pointed to the centre circle for a goal but Beckenbauer persuaded him otherwise.

Beckenbauer also brought Alan Clarke down in the box and a blatant penalty was denied. Similarly earlier in the ECWC in 1973 against Milan which Leeds lost in dodgy circumstances the referee was the subject of a bribery investigation. Both these games resulted in Leeds fans rioting and they were suspended from Europe for a period.

Last edited:
Haha never seen this before. Clancy wouldn’t even think that’s worthy of stopping play if it was a rangers player.

Giles was a great player but very dirty. Ended the career of John Fitzpatrick with a shocking deliberate challenge.

Watch the clip from the start to around just after a minute and you see the hardest man in the Leeds team, Revies always said he was his best signing wee Bobby Collins

Here is another example of dirty Leeds from back In the 70s
Franny lee took no shit :)

Edit I seen it is in part of the video further up

Last edited:
Back