Johnny Hubbard MBE - crowdfunding for a tribute/memorial - Update March 2022

Scojorfc

FOUR sports fanatics from Prestwick have launched a fundraising campaign to have one of the town’s most famous sons officially recognised.

Friends Bill Baillie, Alan Haggo, Gordon McKenzie and Tam Cairns want to have a statue or tribute erected in memory of former Ayr United and Rangers legend Johnny Hubbard.

Ayr Advertiser:
At the time of writing £585 of the £5,000 target had been raised through Crowdfunding.

The South African-born icon, nicknamed the Penalty King, was a sports allrounder and also captained and coached at Prestwick Cricket Club as well as being involved in football coaching in schools and across the community and coaching at Prestwick Tennis Club.

Johnny also watched his beloved Prestwick Cricket Club in action late in his life at the Henry Thow Oval.

He was the first African player to compete in the European Cup, having played in October 1956 with Rangers v Nice and also the first African player to score a goal in the competition.

Hubbard became one of the few players to score a hat-trick in an Old Firm match on January 1, 1955 - the only foreign player in Rangers history to do so.

He was nicknamed the “Penalty King” by Rangers fans, due to his exceptional record of 65 goals scored from 68 penalty kicks , 22 consecutively.

Bill said: “I remember being coached at football by Johnny who ran successful fives sessions at the Dam Park. My son Jonny, who is coaching at Girvan, also took part in classes with Johnny. Tam also had some coaching from him.

Ayr Advertiser: JOHNNY HUBBARD, RANGERS FC..1956...
“He was Allan Haggo’s teammate at Prestwick Cricket Club. Gordon is a former Provost and also has a strong interest in sport. Johnny’s contribution to children and sportin Ayrshire is immeasurable.

“We are a small group of people who personally knew the man and felt it would be fitting to recognise the contributions made by Johnny by providing a memorial in Prestwick to show the appreciation of the local community for all the hard work done by Johnny for the region.

“Johnny was such a nice guy and everyone in the area knew him. It would be good if was either a statue or plaque of some kind. He was a great player at Ayr United and Sir Alex Ferguson, one of his teammates said one of the goals he scored for Ayr was the best he he had ever seen, which was a huge compliment.”

Johnny, who died in June 2018 aged 87 played for Glasgow Rangers and Bury, in England before ending his career back in Scotland with Ayr United where he retired, staying in Prestwick.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/bill-baillie-2?utm_term=DbQgAGvA9stGiving Crowdfunding Page:

Last edited:
FOUR sports fanatics from Prestwick have launched a fundraising campaign to have one of the town’s most famous sons officially recognised.

Friends Bill Baillie, Alan Haggo, Gordon McKenzie and Tam Cairns want to have a statue or tribute erected in memory of former Ayr United and Rangers legend Johnny Hubbard.

Ayr Advertiser:
At the time of writing £585 of the £5,000 target had been raised through Crowdfunding.

The South African-born icon, nicknamed the Penalty King, was a sports allrounder and also captained and coached at Prestwick Cricket Club as well as being involved in football coaching in schools and across the community and coaching at Prestwick Tennis Club.

Johnny also watched his beloved Prestwick Cricket Club in action late in his life at the Henry Thow Oval.

He was the first African player to compete in the European Cup, having played in October 1956 with Rangers v Nice and also the first African player to score a goal in the competition.

Hubbard became one of the few players to score a hat-trick in an Old Firm match on January 1, 1955 - the only foreign player in Rangers history to do so.

He was nicknamed the “Penalty King” by Rangers fans, due to his exceptional record of 65 goals scored from 68 penalty kicks , 22 consecutively.

Bill said: “I remember being coached at football by Johnny who ran successful fives sessions at the Dam Park. My son Jonny, who is coaching at Girvan, also took part in classes with Johnny. Tam also had some coaching from him.

Ayr Advertiser: JOHNNY HUBBARD, RANGERS FC..1956...
“He was Allan Haggo’s teammate at Prestwick Cricket Club. Gordon is a former Provost and also has a strong interest in sport. Johnny’s contribution to children and sportin Ayrshire is immeasurable.

“We are a small group of people who personally knew the man and felt it would be fitting to recognise the contributions made by Johnny by providing a memorial in Prestwick to show the appreciation of the local community for all the hard work done by Johnny for the region.

“Johnny was such a nice guy and everyone in the area knew him. It would be good if was either a statue or plaque of some kind. He was a great player at Ayr United and Sir Alex Ferguson, one of his teammates said one of the goals he scored for Ayr was the best he he had ever seen, which was a huge compliment.”

Johnny, who died in June 2018 aged 87 played for Glasgow Rangers and Bury, in England before ending his career back in Scotland with Ayr United where he retired, staying in Prestwick.

Great idea and hope it is well supported. Posting on here should certainly do no harm. Possibly a pinned post admin?

Father-in-law's (87) favourite ever player. Heard a few interviews with him, seemed like a lovely guy and a genuine blue nose too. Sadly missed. Great to hear the guys trying to sort a deserved memorial to him.
Watched the Fiorentina game with the father-in-law and he mentioned we could be doing with Hubbard for the penalties, some record he had.

Come to think of it, the only other South African player that I can remember Rangers had was Don Kitchenbrand who played in the 1950s alongside Hubbard.

Johnny, his Wife and Daughter on quite a few occasions sat behind us, in the enclosure at the tunnel, the family were very lovely people. It was quite funny in a sense, when the crowd around stood up at the possibility of a goal, Johnny would get up to watch as well. The better half, would have to flick his seat down as he thought it remained in place, otherwise he was on his bum, lovely man and a true Gent.

Used to play in the 5s he organised at Dam Park in Ayr. Also probably one of the few to see him actually miss a penalty! As he stepped up to take one for Ayr United, my dad said: "Watch this, he never misses"!

The Alex Ferguson quote refers to one of the goals Johnny Hubbard scored against Celtic in the hat-trick match.

Fergie played for Ayr United ten years after Johnny left.

Coached me as a youngster as well and played at his 5 a side centre in Whittlets. Was a gem of a guy. Would bump into him in ayr and he'd still remember me from 20 odd years previous.

So glad to say, that in the last decade, he became a close friend. Not only a legend, but a lovely man. I don't mind admitting I shed a tear at his funeral.

The response has been quite poor so far. Just over £1000 of the £5000 target at the moment.

Used to play in the 5s he organised at Dam Park in Ayr. Also probably one of the few to see him actually miss a penalty! As he stepped up to take one for Ayr United, my dad said: "Watch this, he never misses"!
I vaguely remembered he was involved with the Dam Park tournament I played in one year.

Back