Jon Flanagan would 'love' to extend his Rangers deal this term

This season we’ve been a match for just about everybody we’ve came up against. There will be instances going forward where we come up against teams who have more quality than us. That’s where having a player like Flanagan will come in useful. A RB/LB who’s primary focus is defending.

I don't think we should renew the contract.. We shouldn't have to completely alter the way we play when we slot in a rotation player at full back. He doesn't fit the system at all and I would much rather give that spot to Patterson or bring in another full back for cover who is much better going forward.

We have to be careful if we want to bring through our youngsters.
When does Young Patterson get a chance if we are not playing Stranraer or friendlies every week?
One good one, One challenging for his position.
That's not Tav with Flan biting at his arse.

Patterson can only bite at Tavs arse if we let him off the leash. Last night for me told a story.

Probably the weakest player to currently play regularly in our team. Doesn’t suit our style of play at all and lack of passing, touch and speed can be a defensive liability as much as an offensive one. We need far better than him as back up. I think far too many folk give him credit for having played a few games in the EPL years ago rather than anything he has done for us.

If he stays, he stays on a reduced contract and I’ll be grateful for the cover. Otherwise we move on to better options.

Would depend on wages for me. I think he provides a pretty solid cover for full backs but a good drop in class from either tav or barisic. If we have confidence in youth i would rather play them

He has the opportunity to go and earn it as it stands i would be in the no camp as tbh he has been brutal In his appearances this season but a wee run of games and a confidence boost could change that .

Not for me
I can't help thinking of he was serious about his career he'd be spending a couple of hours a day practicing with his left foot.
With the coaching resources we have he'd surely be at least competent on it by now

An aggressive old fashioned full back on either side, we will need that in certain games. I would give him an extension.

He’s good backup for Tav, admittedly without the attacking flair. Can also fill at left back, basically a squad player.

Good squad player who knows he won’t be guaranteed game time and doesn’t rock the boat. Deal him in.
Exactly. An England cap willing to sit on the bench and fill in when required with a great attitude will do for me. He’s not brilliant in any of his potential positions but will never let you down. Not a clue what some on here expect to be honest

"Things can happen and you see the freak accident with James" - Did I miss something? Was there further explanation about Tav's injury, or did Flannigan just give something away? Hopefully not a squash injury over the winter break.

i noticed that part too. interesting wording. Either way, it seems Tav is back in training and not too far away from coming back in, so hopefully whatever happened isn’t going to derail our season like the Negri incident did.

I’d keep him around if he’s not asking too much wage wise. A different type of full back for when we’re under pressure and also a useful player to bring on when we’re 2 or 3 up against the tims for him to pick up a worthwhile booking.

Depends on wages. He's ok to keep as a backup if he's cheap but if he's on decent money I'd rather give youngsters his place.

think he will be off though

I'd let him go. Patterson can hopefully be good enough now. If not potentially loan him out and get short term cover. For left back we need a guy 20-23 with good quality to be Borna's deputy but Borna could leave so definitely somewhere to spend in the summer.

A good solid old style full back who loves a good hard challenge. We’ve said it for ages now, we don’t know how lucky we are with Tav this guy is special and it is hard for the cover to come in and emulate what he does and that is put in a right good shut down that right side, quality delivery, and his defending has also been improving. Flanagan will never get to that level but is a good solid back up option for us, plus he’ll be on a relatively low wage

A player I think is good value as cover. Would be averse to him staying for that purpose.

Sorry, but your post doesn't make sense.
You say he is good cover, but then say you are against him staying? :confused:

averse
/əˈvəːs/
adjective
  1. having a strong dislike of or opposition to something.

Not for me.

Blocks Patterson's pathway and means we might not sign an actual left footed cover at lb.

He does not suit our game and last night showed this. He looked to have absolutely no idea what to do in the final third, either passed inside or put in a hopeless cross.

All this and he will be on a very good wage. He isn't on 3-5k a week (a smallish wage), he is on 8-10k a week minimum (probably more). He was on 35k a week at Liverpool and could've walked in to most championship squads, it wouldn't surprise me if he was even on 12-15k a week, especially given how good a negotiatior Allen was. No way does he go from 35k a week to 5k a week. 8-10k+ a week for a back up who doesn't suit our game is far too much money.

Good as back up but think he will be ok too high a wage to keep as back up. He must've been on great money at Liverpool so wouldn't be on peanuts with us.

Very bad footballer. When he leaves us, hopefully in the summer, he’ll find himself in the dregs of English football. Living off that good half season with Liverpool.

Only in my humble opinion, but if we are going on about ‘pathways’ etc then he absolutely should not get a new deal

He’s average at best when youngsters like Paterson & Maxwell can develop

Let him go
This for me too. Its a difficult balance because there will be times we need experienced backup but it can’t be at the expense of developing our younger promising players.

It depends on our outgoings in summer , if we keep Tav and Borna then Halliday and prob Paterson should be their cover. Hopefully we see more of Patterson between now and then

If our style of play didn’t rely so much on our fullbacks getting forward and creating width then maybe. We lose too much attacking threat when he plays. I’d let him go.

Part of me thinks this would have been agreed by now if it was going to happen. He's certainly mentioned it before. The fact he can cover both wings make him really useful and he's done a job whenever called upon.

He's a solid squad player. However if we are to keep improving , I'd like to think he's one we could upgrade.

Border line for new contract but if we want to create genuine pathway for kids to come through, he shouldn’t get new contract

He will though

He's an old school defender, solid in the tackle, reasonably good short passer, but he's never a left or right wing back cos he's too slow, and his crossing is terrible.

I'd keep him as defensive cover, but suppose it really comes down to what cash he's on/asking for.

He's done what's asked of him when required, but a very limited player that doesn't really have the dynamism of a Tav or Borna, but then again, not many do.

It depends on our outgoings in summer , if we keep Tav and Borna then Halliday and prob Paterson should be their cover. Hopefully we see more of Patterson between now and then

I'd take Flanagan as full-back cover over Halliday by a long way.

Not for me - think he's decent defensively but offers nothing going forward.
I think we could do better and young Patterson should be number two to Tav.
We need backup to Borna or perhaps two left backs if he goes.

Back