Jon Flanagan

Brentford have a weekly wage bill of around £170k and are one of the best footballing sides in a very competitive league. Livi are none of those things. Sorry, but there is no comparison.
And that's not inflated by EPL mediocrity t/v money?

Again, I say £80mil for Harry McGuire - would you trade him for our back quad of Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Katic? I wouldn't.

I beg to differ, there is a comparison..

And even at that, I'm not saying Livi are totally Brentford level, I'm saying could Flanagan do a job at either team? I believe he could and all I'm saying is I'm surprised he hasn't signed for someone at those levels.

SG deemed Flanno good enough cover for us for a period of time, you don't. Do you believe that Brentford are better than us due to how much they pay on weekly wage budget? How about Celtic?

Cos Brentford are not a run of the mill English lower tier club amirite?...

Either that or you buy into the fact that TV money makes you a superior club... (proper use of elipses)

If I saw Livi playing Brentford, I'd fully expect a draw or at least a very close game. Unless of course you think Brentford town is Barcaesque ^.-
Brentford would pump livi

Cos Brentford are not a run of the mill English lower tier club amirite?...

Either that or you buy into the fact that TV money makes you a superior club... (proper use of elipses)

If I saw Livi playing Brentford, I'd fully expect a draw or at least a very close game. Unless of course you think Brentford town is Barcaesque ^.-
Brentford that narrowly missed out in the playoff final? You'd expect to draw with Livingston?

Norwich Town made me laugh way more than it should have.
Anyway, Flanagan wasn’t great and should never have been signed in the first place given his conviction for beating his mrs. That’s all I’ll say

Your having a mare here fella
Nah, I'm not really. You either believe that the English market is overinflated or it's not. I believe the former. Brentford are nearly just as pish as the rest of the SPL outwith us & them. If Brentford were in the SPL they'd be Livi level or worse, in my opinion.

You don't. Your opinion, you're entiltled to it.

My point is nothing to do with Livi or Brentford, it's the fact that Flanno, not a totally terrible player still doesn't have a club. Just find it weird, that's all.

I know his name is mud down south, but he could have been easily picked up for free here by many SPL/Champ teams. That like a more defensive minded RB rather than an attacking RB.

Last edited:
Nonsense, Seb Faure was a poor footballer and why he never found a club ever again. Flanagan will have a lot to offer L1 and L2 and if he was prepared to drop wages would be a good freebie for most of the SPL/or Hearts signing
He’s a poor footballer that’s why he doesn’t have a club. Also he’s not a good defensive full back either. He gets labelled a decent defensive full back because he’s hard in the tackle, that’s it and the fact his attacking side of the game is atrocious.

Nonsense, Seb Faure was a poor footballer and why he never found a club ever again. Flanagan will have a lot to offer L1 and L2 and if he was prepared to drop wages would be a good freebie for most of the SPL/or Hearts signing
Finally someone gets my point.

A quite old fashioned defender. Maybe more a modern day Right CB. I will not criticise people’s views, but suffice to say I don’t agree with a lot of them.

Think hes a very good player. The way we play he doest really fit in with our team.

If i mind it was very apparent in the first old firm last year when we played very narrow up front and he wasnt the man fir creating width and getting behind them.

Hes still alot to offer

He was a very strange signing for us at the time - a full back who was not good at going forward, in our system that relied on our full-backs getting forward.

His return to the team in February coincided with our collapse.

I still reckon his hernia saved Bornas Rangers career. He was being picked ahead of him until he got the hernia and then he came in and showed his class and Flanagan was done

And that's not inflated by EPL mediocrity t/v money?

Again, I say £80mil for Harry McGuire - would you trade him for our back quad of Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Katic? I wouldn't.

I beg to differ, there is a comparison..

And even at that, I'm not saying Livi are totally Brentford level, I'm saying could Flanagan do a job at either team? I believe he could and all I'm saying is I'm surprised he hasn't signed for someone at those levels.

SG deemed Flanno good enough cover for us for a period of time, you don't. Do you believe that Brentford are better than us due to how much they pay on weekly wage budget? How about Celtic?
He may well do a job for a Wycombe, a Barnsley, a Rotherham etc in that division, but Brentford v Livi is a ridiculous comparison. Brentford were very nearly a PL team this season and if you go and take a look at their model, I'd like to think you'll agree there is zero comparison with Livingston. Brentford have never had the TV riches of the Premier League, but they buy young, hungry players with potential, not injury prone journeymen. One example is Olli Watkins who they bought from Exeter aged 21 for £1.8m in 2017 and sold to Villa for £28m plus add-ons. He scored a first half hattrick against Liverpool and was generally outstanding in that game, so yes, it's an inflated market, but not to that extent. Brentford have a squad filled with genuine quality. Livingston have a squad of free transfers and loanees, most with very limited ability. They wouldn't survive in the Championship, let alone be pushing for promotion.

He may well do a job for a Wycombe, a Barnsley, a Rotherham etc in that division, but Brentford v Livi is a ridiculous comparison. Brentford were very nearly a PL team this season and if you go and take a look at their model, I'd like to think you'll agree there is zero comparison with Livingston. Brentford have never had the TV riches of the Premier League, but they buy young, hungry players with potential, not injury prone journeymen. One example is Olli Watkins who they bought from Exeter aged 21 for £1.8m in 2017 and sold to Villa for £28m plus add-ons. He scored a first half hattrick against Liverpool and was generally outstanding in that game, so yes, it's an inflated market, but not to that extent. Brentford have a squad filled with genuine quality. Livingston have a squad of free transfers and loanees, most with very limited ability. They wouldn't survive in the Championship, let alone be pushing for promotion.
Would Brentford survive in the SPL?

Would Rangers survive in the EPL?

Where would the likes of Livingstone be in the EL, all hypotheticals.

Yet the likes of Livi pose us serious problems (sometimes, mostly in their plastic pitch). but I'd favour us to pump Brentford all day long.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still think Flanno could do a job SPL/Championship level. He was in the team that helped us to a few Europa league victories.

Again, goes back to wage bracket/transfermarkt values = team effectiveness. At the top top level maybe. At mediocre levels, I disagree. £50k Kamara.

He is dung but best wishes

Not the only recognisable name to be without a club. Plenty of free agents at the moment with nobody willing to pick up the sizeable pay cheques.

Theres a reason for that. Wilshere included.

Dross.

Brentford that narrowly missed out in the playoff final? You'd expect to draw with Livingston?
maxresdefault.jpg

Flanagan could play for Brentford because Maguire was sold for £80m. The logic of the mental element of FF in a nutshell.

Nah, I'm not really. You either believe that the English market is overinflated or it's not. I believe the former. Brentford are nearly just as pish as the rest of the SPL outwith us & them. If Brentford were in the SPL they'd be Livi level or worse, in my opinion.

You don't. Your opinion, you're entiltled to it.

My point is nothing to do with Livi or Brentford, it's the fact that Flanno, not a totally terrible player still doesn't have a club. Just find it weird, that's all.

I know his name is mud down south, but he could have been easily picked up for free here by many SPL/Champ teams. That like a more defensive minded RB rather than an attacking RB.
Is this brentford of about 5 years ago or brentford now?

If your talking about now then I’m afraid you’re talking absolute nonsense outwith us and them the SPL is level to league one down south and even then most of the teams in that league would be the dross in this league

Was never "very decent" at anything for us.

People liked him because he flew into tackles and that's about it.

Gerrard barely ever makes early subs but hooked Flanagan off at HT all the time

Back