Jon Flanagan

Honestly I'm not sure he's fit for the modern full back role, would fit better into a team that sit back more than us.

I wonder if he'd make a better CB but I don't think he's good enough for us regardless.

He'll be off in the summer on a free no doubt.

Couldn't work that one out, "Young Crumble, YA BASS" doesn't have the same menace really. Unless it was a bunfight when it'd be a piece of cake.

To be fair the song does go ‘yummy yummy yummy we’re the gorbals cumbie’ so I can see why crumble came into it.

Why did you think he was going to be good?

Flanagan had a decent breakout year at Liverpool and has been utter shite ever since.

Awful at Bolton, awful at Burnley and shouldn’t have wasted a wage on him here.

Didn't do well at bolton so I expected him to be p*sh albeit he has at times been a little better than that. However overall he has probably been in line with expectation

I think Grezda will be a cracking player for us.
Really think anyone giving Barisic and Grezda pelters and / or writing them off is being grossly unfair. They've both had stop - start seasons with injury, have come into a massive club with massive demands and expectations, not to mention settling into the weird and not so wonderful world of Scottish football. I reckon both have great ability and with this season's experience and a proper pre-season behind them, I hope and expect to see two very different players next season.

Done absolutely nothing to suggest that so far though.

Equally he’s not done anything to suggest he’s been one of our most disappointing signings.

How much did you know about him before he signed for us that gave you such high hopes?

He’s been injured for most of his time with us so wouldn’t throw him in the reject bin just yet.

You’re first and last paragraphs don’t add up.
He wasn’t (a player?) but you seem to have rated the young lad who broke through at anfield?
To me, he must have been a player initially, to get as far as he did.

My isnt/wasnt comments were in response to another poster who intimated that he had started his rangers career well - i was referring solely to his time so far at Ibrox.

Even during his first few games where some bears thought he was playing well i seen plenty to worry about in his play, the amount of times he is caught out of position/ball watching is really poor for a player at this level.

I watched him break through at anfield as a young lad and thought he had all the attributes to go on and be a star.

Solid and agressive but controlled in the tackle.
Pace
Ability to get forward and join in attack
Stamina to get up and down

I dont know what has happened to the lad but for a player who didnt look out of place in a liverpool team and who was deemed good enough to be included in england squads, he has lost so much of the talent and ability he showed as a youngster.

I am not one for writing players off but really i would be happy if he never makes another appearance for us as a total liability and we should try to move him on close season, it will be telling where he goes next but it will not be a championship side, league 1 beckons so not good enough for us even as backup.

All imo of course.

My isnt/wasnt comments were in response to another poster who intimated that he had started his rangers career well - i was referring solely to his time so far at Ibrox.

Even during his first few games where some bears thought he was playing well i seen plenty to worry about in his play, the amount of times he is caught out of position/ball watching is really poor for a player at this level.

I watched him break through at anfield as a young lad and thought he had all the attributes to go on and be a star.

Solid and agressive but controlled in the tackle.
Pace
Ability to get forward and join in attack
Stamina to get up and down

I dont know what has happened to the lad but for a player who didnt look out of place in a liverpool team and who was deemed good enough to be included in england squads, he has lost so much of the talent and ability he showed as a youngster.

I am not one for writing players off but really i would be happy if he never makes another appearance for us as a total liability and we should try to move him on close season, it will be telling where he goes next but it will not be a championship side, league 1 beckons so not good enough for us even as backup.

All imo of course.
I’ve got to agree with your last paragraph there.

Hes been told to buck up his ideas or hes gone.

Hes Let the gaffer and his team down with his diet and fitness.

Pulled aside and read the riot act.

Absolutely horrific his performance in the league cup semi at Hampden was a joke, McKay-Freezin beat him time and time again and his distribution is utterly woeful.

As shite as he’s been, I would try & raise a six figure fee (at least) for him from some English no-marks. Crazy market.

Why did you think he was going to be good?

Flanagan had a decent breakout year at Liverpool and has been utter shite ever since.

Awful at Bolton, awful at Burnley and shouldn’t have wasted a wage on him here.
In fairness, two years out with injury at a time when he had broken into the Liverpool and England squads, probably had something to do with it.

He has never had the pace of a Tav but in his absence, Liverpool moved on and football is so much about fitness and speed now.

The fact that we could afford to sign him with his England cap and early potential should tell us all we need to know. If he was any good, he'd have been playing in England.

I thought he started really well and was solid in some big games for us. He lost form and just seemed to disappear though.

Along with Grezeda has to be by far our biggest disappointment in regards to signings IMO.

I thought he was going to be a fantastic signing tbf but anyone find bit strange he hasn't settled etc?

England cap and was a regular at Liverpool not too long ago but suspect we will try punt him in summer... No risk signing unlike Grezeda but just thought he was going to be superb for us.
You thought someone who has been shite for years and had hit rock bottom was going to be a ‘fantastic’ signing?

That’s where your problem lies more than Flanagan being shite.

There was some, but not lots, of dissenting voices on here at the time. People who thought his solitary cap for England and part in a failed Liverpool side was an indication that he'd be a player for us.

He's been rotten, but it's hardly surprising.

He's a right back but has never played there for us.

Given Polster can play there and Jordan Houston seems a cracking prospect, I don't think he'll be here next season

Back