Jon Flanagan

Joshua_Lyman

Along with Grezeda has to be by far our biggest disappointment in regards to signings IMO.

I thought he was going to be a fantastic signing tbf but anyone find bit strange he hasn't settled etc?

England cap and was a regular at Liverpool not too long ago but suspect we will try punt him in summer... No risk signing unlike Grezeda but just thought he was going to be superb for us.

If we were playing a more functional system I think he would look better.
As it is, his distribution and attacking contribution don’t fit the game we play.

At least he was free.

Flanagan was solid, good defender. Just offered so little going forward compared to barisic or tav who are phenomenal in comparison. I'd still keep him as back up, he's a no nonsense defender.

Flanagan was solid, good defender. Just offered so little going forward compared to barisic or tav who are phenomenal in comparison. I'd still keep him as back up, he's a no nonsense defender.

He really isnt/wasnt.

Positionally terrible.
Lack of pace.
Rash in the challenge.
Passing out of defence atrocious.

A really really poor signing by us and a complete liability.

Not sure what happened to the young lad who broke through at anfield but the player we have is just not good enough, even for back up.

He is terrible. Its no surprise he struggles to even get on the bench these days. His performance against Cowdenbeath was a disgrace. And we probably would have got further in Europe if not for his amateur display in Moscow

Another guy who we were told would stroll it because he played in the EPL.

These guys can't hack it in the SPFL, a physical league in which you have to be as fit as you are street wise. If you are not, then this league will eat you alive irrespective of your reputation.

He was awful at Bolton at a truly terrible level of football, this shouldn't have come as a surprise.

He really isnt/wasnt.

Positionally terrible.
Lack of pace.
Rash in the challenge.

Not sure what happened to the young lad who broke through at anfield but the player we have is just not good enough, even for back up.
Fair enough. I think he was ok for what he was, a stop gap defender meant to shore us up. He's clearly not the player that broke through at liverpool but imo he's more than good enough to stop spl cloggers.

He started well when the team seemed to be playing with a lot of confidence early season then form fell off a cliff it seemed.
Although for different reasons you could argue Coulibaly and to some degree Katic were similar I suppose.

I have hopes Katic will come good though.

I agree that he’s been poor, but I’m not particularly disappointed, as wasn’t a signing that overly excited me anyway. He did a job in a couple of games and will be away in the summer, I’d guess.

I still hold out some hope for Grezda, but only time will tell on that front.

Flanagan has shown he's capable of playing and defending in both Europe and in the league. He's also had some shockers but so have Goldson, Worrall, Katič and Tavernier.

He's a better left full back than Halliday and there is no point in comparing him to Tavernier or Barišić as they are different styles of full backs.

I said early on we should get rid of him and got shot down. Young Ross can cover there if needed.

Along with Grezeda has to be by far our biggest disappointment in regards to signings IMO.

I thought he was going to be a fantastic signing tbf but anyone find bit strange he hasn't settled etc?

England cap and was a regular at Liverpool not too long ago but suspect we will try punt him in summer... No risk signing unlike Grezeda but just thought he was going to be superb for us.
I’d hold a bit before writing Gredza off.

He really isnt/wasnt.

Positionally terrible.
Lack of pace.
Rash in the challenge.

You’re first and last paragraphs don’t add up.
He wasn’t (a player?) but you seem to have rated the young lad who broke through at anfield?
To me, he must have been a player initially, to get as far as he did.

Flanagan was signed as 2nd choice right back and he's currently 2nd choice right back.Did anyone believe he was signed to play ahead of Tavernier?

Flanagan was signed as 2nd choice right back and he's currently 2nd choice right back.Did anyone believe he was signed to play ahead of Tavernier?

I thought he could play right and left back and expected to see a lot more of him than we have.

Strange season as if you had told me at start Halliday was still an option at left back I would never have believed you.

He started off looking a solid and reliable, if not spectacular, full back. Looked a bit rusty but I thought he might kick on as the season progressed. But he's went back the way. Away baxk down south in the summer I reckon.

I thought he could play right and left back and expected to see a lot more of him than we have.

Strange season as if you had told me at start Halliday was still an option at left back I would never have believed you.
Flanagan is so one footed it's painful mate.Agree with you on Halliday though.

If we're playing devils advocate, theres a rake of players that don't live up to expectations. Mind when the tims signed ljungberg, or keane, or even olivier kapo? Kranjcar was probably the best player in terms of technical ability thats played here in years, no legs and he looked washed up.

cost nowt
started terrific
had a horrible run of form and found himself well out the picture

hardly a massive let down

Started well but is desperately slow. I think the bad injury he had a few years ago, has taken its toll.
He's got another year on his contract left but can't see him staying as it's clear he won't play.

Back